It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

Megan Eliza HB User
Experiences with Double Bunionectomies?

Hi All,

In April I am scheduled for surgery, but I'm still trying to decide whether or not to have both feet done at the same time. I have moderate bunions with my big toes pushing into my second toe a bit. Occasionally I have arthritis (which sucks!.. and is also my main motivator for surgery).

I'm prepared to take about 2 weeks off from work.. but I wonder what my actual healing timeline would be like with both feet in surgical shoes??? I'm very confident in my surgeon, and he recommends I get both done, but I'm still hesitant.

Any stories from women who've had both feet done would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Megan

Old 02-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
(female)

rileyroe HB User
Re: Experiences with Double Bunionectomies?

If you have both done, I seriously doubt you will be ready to go back to work in 2 weeks. I had both done last January and it was tough. My husband had to carry me EVERYWHERE for 3 days. I COULD NOT stand let alone walk on my feet at all, and once I could...I was turtle slow for several more days. You will have to have help 24 hours a day for a while. Good luck in making your decision!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

mediamom HB User

I had both done as well (twice---but that's another story). I wouldn't do it any other way because my preference was to get it over with and not have to do rounds of recovery. Ask your doc what is required in terms of recovery. There are some who say you cannot bear any weight at all, though that was not my experience. For the first two weeks, I was able to put enough weight on my heals after surgery to do the basics (go to the bathroom and bathe essentially) but that was all. Otherwise, I was told to stay elevated and iced. After two weeks, I was able to do more, pretty much to my limit of tolerance. I agree that you will need more than two weeks off work. I couldnt' drive until I was out of the temporary shoes (5-6 weeks) but I work from home so not too big of a deal. Finally, be prepared to have someone around to help you those first few weeks (meal prep, etc). Still think double is the way to go but it's a very personal choice.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
(male)

bothatonce HB User

Hi Megan - just joined the board and saw your post.
I had a double bunionectomy on Jan 2nd, so I'm a month post op now. It was not pleasant, but nor was it as bad as I anticipated.
I was able to return to a desk job after 10 days. As my toes have been in splints the entire month walking has been a real challenge, so keep that in mind - essentially I've spent the month in my apt, in a taxi or in the office.
As long as things turn out okay (the bunions stay away!), I will be a big advocate of getting both done at once. I wouldn't want the inconvenience twice.
Having both done, you lose all independence for about a week at least. I had someone taking care of me completely, food, ice packs etc. I was also able to ignore all of my other responsibilities for that week. That was really important.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,
Bothatonce

Old 04-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
(female)

Megan Eliza HB User

hi Bothatonce,

Thanks for your post. I'm amazed at how many of the posts here are negative and fear-based, so it was nice to geta more positive post! I'd love to hear how you're doing now. When were you able to wear sneakers?

I am going ahead with my double bunionectomy April 6, 2 days from now. Overall, I feel very prepared and just looking forward to getting it over with so I can begin to recover. Like you, I have a desk job where I can elevate my feet- so going back to work in 2 weeks might happen, might not- I'm certainly not going to push it and risk a set-back. I have a live-in boyfriend who works from home and several girlfriends who are going to visit me, so I should be okay as far as help goes.

A part of is actually looking forward to my surgery. Afterall, it's awesome that this surgery exists, and I feel confident that my long-term results will be worth the inconvenience. A few weeks of rest, movies, reading, doing art work, and visiting with friends... I can think of many far worse ways to spend my time!

Megan

Old 04-06-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
(male)

Dodgin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Eliza
Hi All,

In April I am scheduled for surgery, but I'm still trying to decide whether or not to have both feet done at the same time. I have moderate bunions with my big toes pushing into my second toe a bit. Occasionally I have arthritis (which sucks!.. and is also my main motivator for surgery).

I'm prepared to take about 2 weeks off from work.. but I wonder what my actual healing timeline would be like with both feet in surgical shoes??? I'm very confident in my surgeon, and he recommends I get both done, but I'm still hesitant.

Any stories from women who've had both feet done would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Megan

Old 04-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Megan,
Are you still feeling like you could go back to work after 2 weeks? Just courious to see how you were feeling and what your Dr said now that it is over.
Sue

Old 04-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
(female)

Megan Eliza HB User

hi sue,

i doubt i'l be back to work in 2 weeks, but maybe 3... or maybe closer to 4.. I'm not going back till I'm ready. originally i was concerned about how my work would take the news, but they're being very supportive and everyone know what's going on. I have walked around my office in socks for years now, (so it's no secret that I've gpot foot issues) and I explained that this surgery will help. I said I'd be gone a minimum of 2 weeks, maybe more depending on pain and swelling. I am very blessed in that my company has a "unlimited sick leave" policy- so I'm actually getting paid while i sit on my butt.

i'm not rushing anything, especially becuase I don't have too! I really am in a fortunate position to have had the surgery done.

i've discovered that useing crutches without one good foot is really extremely hard.. and I'm a strong woman.. but I won't be doing much hobbling around till I can at least put some weight on my feet. some things can't be rushed!!!

I think it was a comfort to me though, to entertain the idea that it might only be 2 weeks off work- made me less scared to commit to the healing process.

megan

Old 04-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
(female)

feetfirst HB User

Hi Megan, glad to hear things are going good for you! I am (was - still might be) planning on having foot #2 done within 4 weeks - but think I will change it to a least 5. Now that foot #1 was done 10 days ago, I can see how hard it would be without 1 good foot.

My first week was really not too bad, however, I am finding the last few days harder and more painful than the first 7 days. Not sure why!!! I can see where it would be pretty hard for anyone, whether 1 foot or 2 to return to work within 2 weeks.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
(female)

Megan Eliza HB User

All in all though, I'm glad I went ahead and did both feet. I can't imagine going through this twice.

I guess it really depends on your personality. I'd rather have my recovery more intense, maybe more difficult in some ways- but then over with!! i think that if I had only done one foot, I would have probably waited a year or more to do the other one.

all of the activities that I'm looking forward to returning to: dancing, hiking, yoga, walking- really require 2 functional feet. I realize I have a long wait till I'm ready for those activities, but I guess I like knowing that both my feet are on the same page.

i Totally respect and support your decision.. I just think there are pros and cons on both sides

what about the last few days has been hard for you? physical pain & discomfort.. or general loss of sanity? (it truly seems like the emotional health is just as important with a recovery like this!!)

let us know how you;re doing & good luck to you!
megan

Old 04-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

It definitely goes up and down. I was in my second week and though bored out of my skull, I didn't have a lot of pain, then a week later I'd feel something new. Weeks 7-8 were great, then I started "walking" and this part's the hardest.

I originally wanted to do my second foot after 4 weeks, and now, at week 11, I still have to wait - there's no way I could be on crutches again at this point with my left foot not 100%. I didn't realize how important physical therapy was going to be. But I just want to get the other foot over with as soon as possible!

Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 AM   #12
(female)

feetfirst HB User

Hi all. Megan, my foot is feeling some better otday, but the previous 3 days it just plain hurt more, and MUCH more in the first few minutes I got up and about. It would actually stop me from moving it hurt so bad. Hopefully, today will continue to get better, and tomorrow is my doctors appointment, otherwise I would have called him because of the change in pain I was feeling.

I totally understand your decision on doing both. That was my exact thoughts, however, my doctor would not do both, unless I really, really pushed. So I decided to do what he felt was best. He has told me he would do foot 2 in 4 weeks... so I do have to make a decison, but like Joll43, now I am not sure if 4 weeks will be long enough... but my thinking is to at least merge the recovery thing together, and not months apart.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Just my 2 cents here.You don't want to injure the first foot . Take your time.Just think if you injure the first foot you will be out even longer than if you had waited!
Sue

Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #14
(female)

tromom HB User

Hi! I just joined this group and I have to say I am so glad that I found it! I was originally scheduled las Friday for a double bunioectomy. I ended up getting strep throat, so the surgery has been posponed until this Friday. I was sure that I wanted to have both feet done, but now that I have had time to read all of these posts and think about it, I am not so sure now. My doctor said that I will be able to walk right after surgery, but now I am wondering how that will be possible. I was wondering how hard it is to maneuver stairs. My bedroom is up a flight of stairs, and I am thinking my sofoa will be my bed for awhile.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Good Grief!! Your doctor sounds scarey to me! You WILL NOT be walking right after surgery. I had a bunionectomy on January 25th and have only been walking and carefully I might add, for about a month. He is not telling you the truth! If I were you I would get a second opinion! YIKES. My friend had a double bunionectomy and was in a wheel chair for SEVERAL WEEKS!!!! Read all these boards again. There are some old threads you should read as well i.e. Please Help Im so scared. My bedroom is upstairs as well and I camped out in the guest room downstairs for 6 weeks! YOu will need atleast 2 weeks of help from someone and after that you will still need a good support network! This is a serious surgery and recovery is LONG!!!!!
Sharon

Closed Thread