It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

qwerty1970 HB User
Question Can't wear high heels - toe pain!

Would like to know if anyone else has this same problem and what they've done about it. My right toe won't bend so I can wear high heels. It can bend under but won't bend up to fit the contour of the arch area in high heels and if I try to make it bend by wearing them it hurts terribly. I've never broken this toe (at least it wasn't apparent to me if I did) and the symptoms came on gradually. Occasionally it even hurts in flats. What might this be and what can be done to fix it? I've been avoiding the whole deal since I've heard that sometimes foot surgery causes more problems than the ones you started out with...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #2

CJBermuda HB User
Re: Can't wear high heels - toe pain!

Hello,

I have this problem too. I cannot wear high heels for a long period of time as my forefoot will be in a lot of pain. I wear them from my car to my office and that is it, which is a 3 minute walk. I had my surgery in the beginning of the summer so all of my summer shoes are flat. I thought by now it would have been ok to go back to high shoes for the winter, but this is not the case. So I have get flat winter shoes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

imhdab HB User
Smile Re: Can't wear high heels - toe pain!

Hi,

It sounds like you have what I have... I had/have lots of pain in the big toe joints of both feet for about 12 years now. Mine was disgnosed as 'Hallux Rigidus' which is a form of osteo-arthritis of the big toe joint. I haven't worn heels in about 12 years and for the past few years I have only been able to wear Birkenstocks. I have actually just scheduled surgery for 2/28 for a fusion of that joint. There are lots of people on this board that have had this surgery done -- be sure to check the posts.

I'm not sure if this is what you have but when I first noticed pain I was at work wearing 1 1/2" heels (that the highest I ever wore) and suddenly got a STABBING pain in that joint. I could barely walk home and was so bad that I would sit at work with ice packs on my feet! (Yes, mine was in both feet.) Needless to say, I could no longer wear heels. I limped around for a LONG time and tried every brand of flat shoe I could and Birks are the only ones that I could wear. I figured out that I needed lots of support in the ankle/arch so I didn't pronate and this in turn seemed to stabilize my big toe joint which helped to lessen the pain.

The reason I didn't do the fusion right away: when I was diagnosed my doc said that I would eventually have to have it done but said she didn't do it on young people -- I was about 32 then. This doesn't make sense to me now -- I has in pain for all those years and had to limit activities because of the pain... so how does that help me? Is fusion would have helped to restore me to some level of activity why not just do it? (Anyone have any thoughts on this?) Oh, there are other types of surgery but my doc said they didn't work well... again, this was 12 years ago so maybe there is something else that would help you. Right now, for me fusion is the only option...

Anyway, I hope this helps. Remember, I'm not a doc or anything and would suggest going to see one about this. Try to find shoes that are comfortable and supportive until you can figure it out and stay away from heels! (Get a doctor's note for your boss if you have to!)

Take care and be kind to your tootsies! I hope you're pain free soon!

~Heather

Old 02-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

imhdab HB User

C J -- what type of foot surgery did you have?

Just wondering...

~Heather

Last edited by imhdab; 02-07-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #5

CJBermuda HB User

HI Heather,
I had liagament release surgery 4/30/04.

thanks
CJ.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Heather,
I had my first surgery at 29. My podiatrist wouldn't due a fusion then because I was "too young." I had a second surgery a year later to replace the joint. It wasn't until I went to a new dr that I finally had the fusion done when I was 33. I was told that it was always better to try to "save" the joint if possible. I understsand the reasoning, but looking back, I wish I had just had the fusion.

jdm1

Closed Thread