It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Thumbs up 4 weeks post fusion

Hello all....I am now 4 weeks post fusion and finally feeling human again...LOL
I was given the green light this morning to begin weight bearing, I have been non weight bearing so far. Of course I have the lovely black surgical shoe, at least it is black, my last one was bright bule! I havent worked up the nerve to take that first step yet, but before the sun goes down today I will. I had tissue breakdown because I had to have a plate & 3 screws removed after one week because the plate moved and a screw came out...the second fusion was done with 2 screws that will stay in, my X-rays are awesome, everything is perfect and the wound is slowly healing...but it is healing! I am still in alot of pain, either because of 2 surgeries in a weeks time or the fact that I am a whimp. I have had 3 other surgeries in this foot and nothing can compare to this, I was not prepared for such a recovery. thanks to all of you who post on this board, it sure helps to know your not alone and be able to have someone understand what we are going through.
I will post again when I get to back to shoes...I miss my shoes!!! LOL
dlh

Old 02-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: 4 weeks post fusion

Congratulations on your progress!!!! How was that first step, even if it is in a surgical shoe? As they say, take it one step at a time. I am glad to hear that you are healing and things are looking good. Keep a positive attitude - you go girl!

-eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Eko,

thanks! you definantly gave me hope through this! The first step was torture...and the 3 that followed! I used my walker...and I think I will for the next few days. This is the hardest recovery I have had but i know it is worth it! Foot is bright purple and on fire tonite but everyday is a day closer to normal...trying to keep that positive thought alive...I am glad yours turned out so well!
dlh

Old 02-09-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

dlh,

Just a suggestion that helped me along the way. I have to admit, I "pampered" my foot, I soaked it and massaged lot of lotion into it. The massage helps push the swelling out of your foot it you work it from the toes. Also after week 6, I really worked massaging the scar to reduce its sensitivity.

I also learned in PT, if you have two buckets of water, one ice cold and one warm, submerse you foot in the cold one for 1 minute, then move to the warm one, keep alternating for 10 to 15 minutes, ending in the cold, that will also help swelling. I will warn you, the cold needs to be cold enough that it hurts until the cold water numbs the foot for this to really be effective. I called the water torture therapy, but it helped.

March 3rd will be my 1 year anniversary, time has flown by. Take care -eko

Old 02-09-2005, 07:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Eko,

thanks for the info. I do massage it, i learned that surgery # 2. I cant get it wet yet though so i have to be careful, I still have that open wound and have to keep it dressed with the stuff they gave me...once I can though i will try the water thing because anything is worth a try. I am not going to PT unless I have gait...what is gait anyway? I remember alot of things from PT from my 1st surgery for range of motion in my anlke so as soon as I can I am going to do those. Did you have a hard time with your anlke when you first began to walk? I was off of my foot since Dec. 29, I have never been more than 1 week non weigh bearing before so is it normal to have it be so hard? I cant take a step without holding onto my walker or a crutch. Since you are having your 1 year anniversary that makes you an official expert...LOL
Any advice on the walking process would be great, as wel as PT I can do at home!
Thanks eko
dlh

Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

dlh,

"Gait" is the way you walk, if it is good, no PT, if it is off, they do a "gait analysis" and can suggest exercises to correct it.

I have to tell you my entire story with my right foot and ankle. In August 2003 I had a Brostrom repair on my ankle and decided that since I was going to be out of commission to have the bunion on that foot corrected as well. The first couple weeks were non-evental and NWB, but during week three, I was in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism.

Anyway the day I was discharged from the hospital I went over to my Dr.'s office to get the stitches out where they found that my big toe has dislocated while it was in the cast. My Dr. tried manipulating it back into place and it would not stay. He wanted to do surgery right away, but because I was recovering from the PE and was on blood thinners, my Primary Care Dr. blocked it. I had to wait six months to have my toe fused. So for a total of nine months I was on crutches because of the dislocated toe I was walking with. I could bear weight, but there was no way I could walk normally. So, in March '04 I finally had my toe fused (I did seek out a 2nd opinion and it was the same), when he went it he found that when the toe dislocated it had taken all of the cartilege with it. I was on crutches for six weeks, and when my pins came out I was permitted to wear tennies and walk on it. My ankle was a mess because I had initially had surgery back in August '03, I was never able to walk on it normally to regain strength to flexibility, my ROM was nearly zilch. So I asked for PT and received it.

In PT first we worked on ROM, then strengthening. I hate to say this, but it was a big day when I could put my underware on standing on my repaired foot without having to support myself. The little things that make us happy.

Anyway, to answer your question, I believe it is coming off of NWB that makes it hard to walk on your ankle. I remeber when they took that cast off after three weeks, slapped my in a CAM walker with the dilocated toe and told me to walk, I couldn't, it hurt too much, but it got better. It is okay to still use your walker or crutch as needed. Do it in steps, I hung onto the foot board of my bed and just walked back a forth and eventually would let go and venture out further. You ankle needs to get use to bearing the weight again. It will come with time - do it steps, you will get there. Do your ROM exercises and be sure to work your other four toes back forth to keep them flexible. Also give yourself time because you are still healing, usually the bone is 80% healed in six weeks and strong enough to fully bear weight.

Take baby steps - you do great -eko

Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Eko...
thanks for all the info...man, you really went through it! My husband says I am too hard on myself...guess he may be right. I was surprised he even let me begin to walk at 4 weeks, my DR is very cautious. My hip is killing me too, I walked on the walker with my foot forward though, not behind me as I kept bumping it. My stepdad had hip replacement last July so I had him show me his exercises from his PT hoping it will help loosen that area. Baby steps...I can do that, I just need to let myself heal and take my time...i keep telling myself it's OK to go slow but have a hard time believing it. Maybe it's because i healed so quickly from all my other foot surgeries. Anyway thanks for all the advice and good cheer...I am sure the day I can walk without my crutch will be amazing!
dlh

Closed Thread