It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

jdm1 HB User
1 year post fusion today

Hi All,
I just wanted to give a quick update. Today, Feb. 9th is my one year anniversary from my big toe fusion. I think that having the fusion was the best decision I have ever made. There are times when I forget that I ever had a foot problem. After suffering through two surgeries prior to the fusion, I wonder why I waited so long.

The recovery was long and slow. I did not rush the process and followed the doctors orders. I think that was the ticket to my success. I still have a bit of discomfort but I feel that is from the three screws and plate that are still in my foot. However, even the disomfort that I feel now is nothing compared to before the surgery. I do think that I am going to have the hardware removed this summer. I can feel the pins and sometimes they cause some slight bruising.

I wish all of you going through the recovery the best of luck. My words of advice are listen to your doctors and don't push your recovery. This board is a great resource. Thank you to all who share their experiences.

jdm1

Old 02-10-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: 1 year post fusion today

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!!!!

Doesn't it seem like it all happened a long time ago, it does to me. Glad to hear is all going well for you. Having your hardware out this summer ought to be nothing after all you have been through.

Take good care! -eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

jmd1,

congrats!!!!! It is encouraging the hear you so well, I just got the OK to bear weight 2 days ago at 4 weeks post fusion...still cant walk without my walker and have been beating myself up over it. eko also says take my time, it is just so much harder from the previous surgeries my foot has had.....I know next year I will be happily posting my success....so glad you are doing well! Sorry about the hardwear...mine came loose right after surgery so they put in 2 long screws...sure hope I dont feel them becausr right now the thought of anymore surgery terrifies me!
dlh

Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
(female)

imhdab HB User

Hi and congratulations! I have yet to go through my first one.

By the way, did you have a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon do your surgery?

Just wondering...

Thanks and again, congrats!

~Heather

Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

jdm1 HB User

Heather,

Thank you. I have been following your situation. I can't believe that your insurance company said it is cosmetic. I was fortunate and had no problems with my insurance.

I had three surgeries. The first two were done with a podiatrist. The last surgery (the fusion) was done with an ortho who specializes in feet and ankles. I had utmost confidence in my podiatrist; however, he did not want to fuse my joint. He said I was too young (29 at age of first surgery; 30 for second, and 33 for third). He still wanted to try another procedure and if that didn't work, then he would fuse. I was not not in a place to have a third surgery knowing that I would most likely have to have a fourth.

Becuase of my previous surgeries, I had to have a bone graft with my fusion. If I hadn't had the graft, my big toe would have been even shorter than it is.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I found that this board is an excellent resource.

Jennie

Closed Thread