It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

Koda32 HB User
Had bunion surgery and now have questions

Hi Everyone!
On November 19th (2004) I had an Austin's bunionectomy on my right foot. From reading the posts on this board, it seems I fared pretty well. Pain for me was minimal, I was in an Aircast within two weeks and in mid-January I was allowed to remove the cast and start wearing tennis shoes. I'm getting around pretty well, pain is minimal, and I'm doing my range of motion exercises daily per the doctor's instructions.

But, I have a question. Will my foot return to it's previous shoe size once it's "fully" healed? I'm a bit freaked out, because none of my pre-op shoes fit me at all! I'm especially interested in hearing other women's experiences with heels because truth is, I don't want to have to buy all new shoes again (I've got some darn nice shoes!!). From a looks perspective, it looks MUCH better than it did. My big toe was almost overlapping but not quite...and it looks much narrower. And, of course, I don't have the pain issues I once used to (the width of my foot made most shoes uncomfortable). But, for now, not a single pairs of shoes fit. In fact, I had to buy my tennis shoes almost a size and half larger for them to fit comfortably.

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-11-2005, 06:25 AM   #2

verylongday HB User
Re: Had bunion surgery and now have questions

I had a bunionectomy on my right foot on November 2, and I beleive it was the Austin procedure (and I have 2 permanent screws). I was in an aircast after a week and out of the aircast after a few weeks (I used it only when I was walking ALOT and wore the orthopedic shoe the rest of the time). I started wearing sneakers in early December and at the end of December was given leave to wear whatever shoes I like.

That being said, my right foot still swells a bit from time to time, and most of my dress shoes do not fit properly. For New YEar's Eve I was able to buy a new pair of strappy sandal heels - only 2 inches high though. I have adhesions that are preventing my full range of motion (from not doing my mobility exercises properly/often enough). Eventually I should recover the full range of motion (with work) and at that time I can get back into my tall heels ;-)

A friend who had the procedure in September can now fit into all her old shoes, hope that gives you hope (I know it does for me!) :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I did not have bunion surgery...but in all my past surgeries, all centered around the big toe area...I had alot of swelling. I bought a few pairs of "temp" shoes because none of mine fit because my foot would swell and would not fit in anything I had. HOWEVER...that was temp, eventually I was able to get back into most of my shoes, I did have to replave a couple pair of dress shoes but not all of them. Give it time, hang onto those shoes for now!
dlh

Old 02-11-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
(female)

Koda32 HB User

Thanks for the inspiration! Like I said, I realize now that I am quite lucky to be doing so well. I have virtually no pain at all, and from reading other posts, it could have been a lot worse for me. In my case, I have a permanent anchor and two permanent screws.

Well, I'm glad to hear that this is in fact, temporary. I was a bit nervous and worried that I may never be able to wear "nice" shoes again!

Thanks a million for the hope!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Good grief are you ever lucky!!! My surgery was January 25th and I am nowhere near putting weight on my foot! I don't even know what a Austin is?? I had a pin and stitches, both are out now. No aircast, just a ski boot type thing and the awful orthopaedic shoe. Neither of which feel very good. And these exercises??? My doc has recommended no excercises at all, nor did he recommend any kind of physical therapy. I had an ortho do my surgery. The surgery was very successful and my bunion is gone and my toe straight. But he hasn't given me any post op instructions really. Hummm, maybe I better ask him.

Closed Thread