It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

louisianasgirl HB User
Exclamation please help me im so scared thanks

hello im having my bunion surgery this friday my right foot is 21 degrees and my left is 18 degrees whatever that means that is what my dr says so there for he says thats moderate so i need the surgery any ways the 18th of feb im getting it done im so scared and im a big baby when it comes to pain i have had 3 c-sections and a hysteractomy im 28 years old and im wondering how painful is it really and how long does the pain last please help me im just wondering what do they the dr. give you for pain and how long do you need pain meds and how long does my husband need to take off we have 3 kids ages 6 girl 4 boy 2 boy i have a pre op appt. tues for blood and whatnot so please respond back thank you p.s i will also be having my other foot my left foot done in june is that too soon what do yall think thank you so much if your willing to respond thanks ...........scared in louisiana and i will let all of yall know how im doing and if it is as bad as i think it will be dangit there putting screws in my foot owwwwwwwwwwwwww

Old 02-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #2
(female)

rileyroe HB User
Re: please help me im so scared thanks

I would say if you can survive 3 c-sections and a hysterectomy than you will be fine. Having one done at a time is a good idea...it won't be as bad as both. You will have pain medicine, just be sure to take it often enough to stay ahead of the pain! I had both feet done at the same time and needed constant help for the first three days. You will be fine, just keep your chin up! A positive attitude always helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Dear Scared,

I had my bunionectomy on my left foot on January 25th. Mine was severe and very painful so surgery was a must.

Are you getting both your feet done at once???????

I have had several surgeries for Endometriosis, a kidney stone, and delivered 2 babies. I have to tell you that this surgery has definitly been the hardest. The surgery itself is not the issue becuase you will be asleep and for the whole day up until about the middle of the night your foot will be numb. The recovery is the hard part. You are definitly going to need pain meds but be careful with them. You are not going to be able to get around at all for the first several days becasue your foot has to stay very elevated. The pain is tremendous. Dont' let anyone tell you otherwise. I am a little over 3 weeks post op and I still cannot put weight on my foot and have to use crutches. My foot is very painful and feels numb sometimes becuase it is not getting any circulation. The least little bit of movement hurts alot. Please make sure to have lots of help and support thru this. Ask me any questions you like, i check the board daily.

Sharon

Old 02-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

You can do this! I'm also 3 weeks post-op (thank God for Sharon - it's been great to trade stories and really know you're not alone in this) and yesterday I felt I'd turned a corner. I was able to sit in a chair (my bad foot resting on the bed) and do an arm workout! Being in bed w/my foot elevated every day has made me feel like a blob, and working my arms will only help me w/my crutches - I even did crunches - it helped so much! Before yesterday, I had a little too much pain to be able to do this.

I was only given a small amount of pain meds (Tylenol w/Codeine) and it wasn't enough. My pod had me alternating w/Aleve or Advil, and I found the Aleve worked better. I was off the prescription meds after 3 days and while I had a lot of pain, it turned out my pain was from what my cast was doing to my skin! Right now, it only hurts at night, but you have to remember: your feet must have hurt before this! My bunions would absolutely kill me after a day of walking around - this is just about the same pain, only I'm on the road to recovery. It's all about your outlook!

I'm lucky, I don't have kids to take care of, and I have the luxury of being able to keep my foot up all day, and it's really sped my recovery - my swelling seems to be going down at quick pace.

The worst part of this surgery is the recovery time, not the pain.

Hang in there!!!!

Last edited by joll43; 02-12-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
(female)

ugatah HB User

You have my sympathy. I was scared too. I had mine done in January 2004. To be honest the post-surgery pain was not that bad. It's different for everyone though. I had hammer toes done as well, and I was in surgical shoes for 3 weeks, weight bearing immediately. That was scary! But it was fine. Regular pain meds, lots of ice, and lots of elevation and TLC and you'll get through it just fine.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
(female)

Twobunionholly HB User

I had my right foot done Jan 10th 2005 and the left Jan17th. The worst pain for me was 12 hours after the surgery on the first one and 24 hours after the 2nd. I can't imagine doing this with 3 kids - make sure you have some help. I'm not trying to scare you but when I didn't feel very good and had been told by others that it wasn't that bad (either they had a less severe case or memory faded) I felt like a wimp. I just discovered this board today - it would have helped a lot the past few weeks. Good-luck friday!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

This board has helped me so much. Because of the board I don't feel so alone with this. You are not being a wimp at all. This is extremely painful! I have two small children so my household is spinning out of control! My sweet husband is doing the best he can keeping it togehter but nobody does it like a mom. I had my left foot done January 25th. I had stitches and a pin which were removed last week. I cannot put any weight on my foot yet and hobble around best as I can on the crutches. How does your foot you had done first feel? Are you able to put any weight on it? Probably not, since you also had the other foot done. Anyway, let me know how you do since you and I are about on the same schedule.

Sharon

Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
(female)

Twobunionholly HB User

My right foot pin comes out on Tuesday and my left the following week. Any feedback on that procedure? My Podiatrist has lied about every other aspect of this surgery I don't trust his "no problem no pain" with the pin removal.

I am able to hobble around on my ortho shoes and he told me I could wear size EE tennis shoes - but even they aren't comfortable. The bottom of my feet still give off odd pains and of course the sides and tops.
He had me do the toe exercise from week 2 -from what I've read that is probably a good idea - are you doing that? Push down hold and then push forward and hold.

The wimp feeling - We went to a super bowl party and I sat in a corner with my feet up - a woman I'd never met announced in front of my husband that she went snow skiing 3 weeks after her bunionectomy; good thing I didn't feel better!
We need to start a support group for the wonderful caregivers, Holly

Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

How in the world are you able to put your foot on the floor enough to hobble around in the boot. I cannot do that. I am using crutches to get around.

This is promise!!! The pin removal is not bad at all, it feels wierd but not painful. Don't look though because its pretty gross. Keep your pin and show all your friends, hahahahha. Stitches, however, bothered me some when the nurse took them out.

I haven't been given any instructions on exercises. I am a bit frustrated with my Ortho right now. He has given me absolulty no post op instructions. Were youtold to have Physical Therapy???

Snow Skiing??? Ridiculous!!

My household is falling apart and my husband is very tired of being nurse and housekeeper, plus working all day. He is not complaining verbally but I can see it in his face. We knew this would be a difficult time for everyone but, knowing and going thru it are 2 different things!!!

Sharon

Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
(female)

Twobunionholly HB User

I went to a podiatrist - I have two "shoes" - velcro closings and thick stiff soles - kind of like jweird ugly sandals with big thick non-bending soles. Allows me to walk around like Frankenstien.
I would ask about the toe exercises - the more I read on the web the more important they seem. I've been doing thme even though it gives me the creeps.
Hang in there with your family - I'm sure you take excellent care of them when you're able.
Here's to Valentines Day 2006!
Holly

Old 02-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Yeah, I have the Franenstein shoe. I am going to request a prescription for Physical therapy from my Ortho. I think it will help me. My ankle feels soooo weak!!!

Let me know your progress and I will do the same.

Sharon

Old 02-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
(female)

louisianasgirl HB User

what does reg pain meds mean if u dont mind me asking thanks very much

Old 02-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
(female)

louisianasgirl HB User
Lightbulb Re: please help me im so scared thanks

first let me say ..........THANK YALL VERY VERY MUCH for replying to my plea for help lol yall have been soooooo very kind the only thing i guess ...im getting mixed signals on the pain level im afraid im gonna be sent home with asprin or tylenol lol my dr and nurse are telling me that im gonna be supplied with plenty of comfort meds WHAT IS THAT comfort for him or me lol im only concerned with me and making sure that im not screaming in the middle of the night sorry for rambling lol and yes i have help coming a friend from dallas is coming for a week b/c my husband works from 8 to 8 so with my kids will be hard thanks again and please keep them coming ....... perrin

Old 02-15-2005, 05:23 AM   #14
(female)

Amink HB User

I am almost 4 weeks post op, and went back to work as a pharmacy tech last week (a lot of time on my feet)

The pain for me started about 4 hours after surgery, and was horrible that first day and night and into the second day, but by 2 days post op I was off the pain meds.

I have been hobbling since the surgery date, and I am almost done with my PT my range of motion is excellent

I should be able to put more pressure on the front of my foot in a few weeks, for now I am walking on my heel.

The pain for everyone is different, but for me, this was not the most horrible thing I have ever experienced, the first day was bad, but I am so happy now, it hurt so much more before surgery than it does 4 weeks post op. I am seriously considering having the other foot done.

Ami

Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 AM   #15
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Perrin,

Everyone is different, you must remember that when reading these boards. I am 4 weeks post op as well but have absolutly no weight bearing yet, not even on heel. I was told by P.T. not to walk on heel, bad for hips and lower back. I will start P.T. next week.

The pain post op was horrible after about 6 hours after surgery. It feels like pinching and throbbing. The worst part is when you need to get up and go to bathroom and put your foot in the down position. All the blood rushes to your foot and it is terribly painful. I also had foot cramps which were excruciating. Not everyone has foot cramps so don't worry too much about that. Before standing up to get your self to bathroom, give your foot a minute. Then slowly stand up (with help or crutches obviously) and go to bathroom or wherever it is you are going. Keep your foot elevated longer than doc says. I was told 48 hours but I kept it elevated all the time except to get up to go to bathroom or move to another room, for about 4 days. It really helps with the swelling if you do this! YOu want as little swelling as possible.
You will get controlled substances (narcotics) for pain meds for the first few days. Take them as directed, keep them in your system but around the 4th day ween yourself off them slowly (if you don't do this you might get sick, I DID!!) then try aleve or advil or have Doc prescribe something a little milder like Tylenol with Codeine. Trying to get comfortable to sleep is very difficult. Take Tylenol PM if you need to. THis helped me alot starting at week 3. All docs seem to have different opinions on win to be weight bearing. Like I said, I am still not but hope to be after some Physical therapy sessions. keep reading the boards for advise. Remember, we are going thru it, not the docs!!!!!

Closed Thread