It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
What do you for rough feet?

I know this seems less serious than some people on here.

I have TERRIBLY rough feet. (the bottoms) They are always peeling, cracking. They are excellent if I have an itch on my leg but other than that they are ugly and horribly rough!! My heals are so thick and cracked. It's embarassing. I tried those foot lotions that are supposed to heal the "worst of cracked, dry feet". HA HA What a joke. Yes, I've tried to stones...the sanders thingies. The sander works but if I don't do it EVERY day it's back to how it was. I wear different shoes, mostly sneakers. I am a stay at home mom so a lot of times I even barefoot or socks.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this stuff??

Old 02-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: What do you for rough feet?

I did this and it worked...use a stone everytime you shower and always use a good lotion...BUT I also put vasoline on my feet at night and put on a tight "bootie" type sock and slept in it. Yes, it feels odd but it worked. Hope it helps you, I hate dry feet too. Also you could get a pedicure, they will peel off all the dry cracked skin and give you a head start. Have you tried Shay it isnt so foot cream by Bath & Body works? Good stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I'll have to try the shay stuff. I tried the whole shower/stone thingie and the thing just ended up crumbling.

I was thinking of pedicure but I've heard bad things about pedicures, especially when they "peel" skin off your foot. Just makes me nervous they are already UGLY enough!!

Thanks

Old 02-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

jdm1 HB User

AprilPow,
I used to feel the same way about pedicures - but then I think that there have to be worse feet than mine. Just make sure you go to a place that disinfects their instruments well. If you are nervous about that, take your own instruments. As far as the peeling off os the skin, my manicurist told me that by state boards they are not allowed to "shave" the skin off. She will use the pumice stone, and when my feet are really bad she will also use a foot scrub with the pumice stone.

jdm1

Old 02-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
(female)

coastal HB User

Ill tell you a miracle cure for me: A perscription for Naftin Gel, an anti fungal.
I got it for another reason, but a wonderful side effect was that it cured the ugly, rough, cracked so bad sometimes they'd bleed, heels! Maybe mine was something yucky and yours isnt, but my gosh! Ill tell you its worth asking about!!!!!!!! I had those gross heels for about 9 years or more, now GONE! and I tried all those things you mentioned too! Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
(female)

valjo HB User

I used to get rough ankles and thick cracked painful heels. It was very bad.
I never showed my feet to anyone. Now, I just use a pumice stone in a hot shower before bed or a hot soak and then I put on some Kerasal/Kerasel? cream before my skin dries totally out from the shower then I would slip on a pair of white ankle socks to keep the cream off the sheets at night. It works so well that I only need to do it about twice a week! Kerasel comes in a small tube and around $5 but it goes a long way and it works great for me!

I actually had my feet sanded (not pumiced) at one time by a pedicurist friend privately in her home ( No one offers it in a pedicure salon now days). It felt exquisite! 1000x better than the pumice treatments! My feet felt and looked like tiny newborn baby feet again, but she moved away. I even went so far as to buy a $300.00 manicure type sander kit that she had used and I used to do it at home very carefully by myself every few months but sometimes I would over sand too much off or burn my soles from the shear rpms of the thing and wind up being sore footed for a few days.....since using Kerasel I don't need to venture into that extreme treatment anymore.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
(female)

Looby HB User

I just got one of those stone things today. It works great - It's amazing!! If I didn't try it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. I used it on my foot that hasn't had the surgery yet and got the callus off of the back of my big toe. I also got some creme for dry, cracked feet. It has aloe and a peppermint scent. I really like it.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User
Lightbulb Re: What do you for rough feet?

I know you've said you've tried the lotions and all, but have you tried the prescription lotion called Ammonium Lactate Cream? You can get your regular doctor to prescribe it and it works wonders! Cracked, dry, rough and sometimes bleeding feet seem to run in my family and my mother, sister and I have all used this prescription and it really cleared up our feet! If you use it regularly it can heal even the worst of cracked feet. My mother's were really bad with very, very deep cracks and bleeding and now her feet are very smooth, soft and no crack! My own feel were dry, cracked and rough and are very smooth and no more cracks, either! Anyone else try this? It really works! Good luck.

Jaz

Old 04-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

I've been reading the posts for dry feet....mine are so bad, especially the heels. Seems like I've tried everything and they may get a little 'better' but they still embarass me. Can I ask a silly question here? The pumice stones? Do you use them when your feet are dripping wet or just towel-dried but still damp? I guess I'm wondering now if I'm even using mine right.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:07 PM   #10
(female)

Looby HB User

I use my stone after my shower when they are a little damp. I have a bowl of water and keep dipping the stone in water. The directions say to make sure that the stone is wet.
If your feet are really bad, you might want to get a pedicure. I have never had one and want to when my surgery is finished and I have healed. I have heard that they can really get the rough stuff off.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

The stone is suppose to be wet?? Well, no wonder it doesn't do much for me Thanks so much, I'll have to try it again and do it the right way.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
(female)

Looby HB User

The directions on mine say to use it with soapy water. I put mine in a bowl with warm water and bath soap so it suds up a bit. I use it right after I get out of the shower so my feet are still warm/damp. The directions say to move the stone in a circular motion.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
(female)

Louthedog HB User

shea butter + a white sock every night.

Closed Thread