It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #31
(female)

dixiepeep HB User
Re: screw removal

The screws and scar tissue in my foot were causing the rest of my toes to go numb so now that I have the feeling back in my toes I am feeling great. I have not noticed my big toe looking shorter. It does not appear so to me. I will be wearing sandles as soon as I get this surgical shoe off. I could not stand on tip toes before due to screws in toe before but now I think I will be able to once I am healed. I have so much more movement in big toe. be back in a minute boss calling me

Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #32
(female)

OhKayDeb HB User

Dixiepeep

I can't stand on my tip toes either, but it has only been a few months since my surgery. My foot was really swollen at first (of course) but the swelling has yet to fully go away. My doctor is telling me that because the screws are backing out, they are causing irritation inside and that is why my foot is still somewhat swollen. There is no way I can wear sandals right now. Tennis shoes are the only type of shoe that gives me enough support to keep me balanced. Good thing I bought "new balance" tennis shoes, huh? LOL

Anyway, I didn't notice my big toe being significantly shorter than the other until the last few days because over the last week a little more of the swelling has gone down, but not totally. I am stressing out because I don't want to go through another surgery if this doesn't work. I have read some posts where people have gone through 5 and 6 surgeries. I don't have that kind of time to take off work. With my first surgery I took off 8 days, and then was back with my foot propped up for two weeks. I had to use crutches for a few days until I about fell and killed myself. It isn't safe to put a 40 something woman on crutches. When the crutches didn't work and I needed to be at work, my doctor put me in a ski boot cast thing.

Now with this surgery I am planning to take off two weeks, simply because I don't know how this surgery will turn out. He said that my screws could be backing out because I got up doing too much too soon, but then again, they could be backing out just because that is what they do sometimes. Wouldn't you know that I have to get the screws that don't want to stay in there?

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #33
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

compared to the first surgery this one was a breeze. Once those screws were out It was so much better. Those screws were irritating the heck out of me and my foot was swollen before surgery. Not much swelling now. I was back at work in a week and still at work now. I hope you do this good. Those screws just want out!!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #34
(female)

OhKayDeb HB User

Thanks for the information Dixie....that sounds incouraging. I have my surgery next week. I will let you know how everything goes.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #35
(female)

cjh1221 HB User

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. Well, I went ahead and scheduled the surgery. He is going to go in and remove the screw, as well as scrape away some excessive bone growth.
I don't see that fixing the problem, but it has to be done anyways. He acts as though he really dosen't know what the issue is, which is kinda scary!
He is hoping that by removing some of the bone growth and the screw, things may loosen up some. I hope so too, but from what I have read, he can only go in there so many times before he just makes it worse in terms of scar tissue.
Guess we will just have to wait and see how the surgery makes it feel, and go from there. I am just frustrated because I really don't see the major problem being fixed by this. I could deal with the stiffness, if it wasn't for the pain, and I am not so sure that the pain is a result of the stiffness. Grr. Sorry for rambling, just frustrated right now. Thanks all for listening!

Old 05-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #36
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1221
Sorry it took so long for me to get back. Well, I went ahead and scheduled the surgery. He is going to go in and remove the screw, as well as scrape away some excessive bone growth.
I don't see that fixing the problem, but it has to be done anyways. He acts as though he really dosen't know what the issue is, which is kinda scary!
He is hoping that by removing some of the bone growth and the screw, things may loosen up some. I hope so too, but from what I have read, he can only go in there so many times before he just makes it worse in terms of scar tissue.
Guess we will just have to wait and see how the surgery makes it feel, and go from there. I am just frustrated because I really don't see the major problem being fixed by this. I could deal with the stiffness, if it wasn't for the pain, and I am not so sure that the pain is a result of the stiffness. Grr. Sorry for rambling, just frustrated right now. Thanks all for listening!
I just had my screws removed five weeks ago and my foot feels 100 times better. He also removed scar tissue and ground down the bone. I too do not unstand why this bone keeps growing back since I wear orthodics everyday to keep those wretched bunions from coming back. I wonder why I got the scar tissue too but as soon as it was gone I could move my toe again and I am please as punch. I can move my toes like I should be able to since the screws came out. It was worht it to me. I could tell even before the swelling went down that those screws were gone and I was glad. I hope you get the same results. I will tell you that I am tired of wearing this ugly shoe and I look forward to the day when I can leave the house and look down and see shoes that match. Hopefully that will be soon. Let me know how you are doing. I wish you the best.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #37
(female)

cjh1221 HB User

I am really happy to hear that all went well. I know what it is like to be in pain, and I am happy knowing that you are feeling better. It also makes me feel better knowing that you had success, it's encouraging!
My doc says that I will be down for 2 weeks, I haven't asked him about the wretched shoe. Boy have I had enough of that to last me a lifetime! I will let you know about my progress, hoping that I feel as good as he says I will, but even a little improvement will be worth it.
I'm glad to hear that it can get better, I was really starting to lose hope! Thank you!

Old 05-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #38
(female)

RubyRedHead HB User

Hi, I just had surgery 3 weeks ago which did include 2 screws which is why this thread caught my attention. My question is about scar tissue. Is there anything I could be doing - massage maybe, exercise? - that can help prevent scar tissue from forming? From what I'm hearing, scar tissue can be a great issue. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

^ keep massaging the area and moving the toes, that helps a lot. I had scar tissue form around the joint and it took me months to get my toe moving properly. I am happy to say I am now at 11 months (austin bunionectomy, 2 screws) and just the other week I was finally about to stand up on my toes for the first time!! I can now do lunges again.. (of coures that requires motivation, but at least I know I can do them!).

Old 10-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #40
(female)

smileyface17 HB User

I had an austin bunionectomy on my right foot in march 2006. My foot was still hurting in June so my doctor has me going to physical therapy. Physical therapy wasn';t helping. So then we tried cortisone shots. They did not work. So now he wants to do surgery to take the screws out because he thinks it could be a muscle or tendon in my foot but i cant get an mri done because of the screws. So I was going to have the surgery in December. I am going into teaching and I will be on my feet all way long. Has anyone had this done. If so, how long did you have to stay off of your foot and did it hurt a lot.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #41
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

The reason that I needed to have my screws removed was because my toes were going numb. I also had bulit up some scar tissue on top of my foot that was easy for even me to see so the doctor took that off also. He also did some clean up hear and there for scar tissue so my second surgery was not as routine as most. Three days after the surgery I could tell my foot felt better without this screw pinching me. I still had some swelling and a week of crutches but all in all in was worth it. I would recommend wearing the surgical socks that limit the swelling since that was most of my discomfort. I hope your surgery went like mine. I was relieved to get that screw out of there. I hope this helps. God Bless.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #42
(female)

KathJack HB User

I had a double bunionectomy in May and also had screws put in. The tops of my big toes are numb, but I don't have any discomfort or pain. I have read about many people experiencing numbness and sometimes needing many months to regain feeling, but I hadn't heard anyone associate the numbness with their screws. So now I'm wondering if I need to have my screws removed?! I have no return visits scheduled, but I guess I could call the doctor and ask... In the meantime, did anyone here have numbness, get screws removed, and then regain feeling?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 AM   #43
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

No, this is a different kind of numbness than the feeling you have after surgery. This is like sharp pins and needles pain numbness and I could feel the pin moving upward. Sorry that I was not specific enough before. I could handle the no feeling for six months but this was a year later when this little screw did not want to be there anymore. It was just bugging me to bits. It just hurt with the pins and needles pain and I had strange mucsle spasms with my toes because the screw was moving. I knew I wanted that thing out as soon as possible. I was ready to wear that ugly shoe for a while to get it out.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #44
(female)

KathJack HB User

Thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry that you are having problems-- Hope that the screw removal totally takes care of all of your discomfort and pain.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #45
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I think my foot is on the mend now. I still have a little ankle swelling but no pain. I hope yours goes well and you are on the road to recovery soon.

Closed Thread