It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User
Angry If you have foot surgery, stay off your feet!

I've posted here a lot, and I think I've helped many people with my post-op experience, but none of those posts mean a thing if you insist on getting up and walking right after your surgery.

Did you fall before your surgery? No? Then after your surgery you should fall even less. You should be hyper-aware of your foot (and the rest of your body which has to make up for it), and falling should not be an option.

Lie down, elevate & ice your foot, keep what you need next to you and don't complain if you just had to get up and you hurt yourself in the process - it's your own fault.

Perrin landed herself in the hospital because of it, remember?

I've helped people here; I know I have, and made friends and made people laugh. I'm just angry now.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: If you have foot surgery, stay off your feet!

I agree with Joll..........STAY OFF YOUR FEET AFTER YOUR SURGERY. It is the only way to heal correctly and give your body time to heal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always stay down but did take a bit of a fall going to the next room on my crutches...it is too easy to have an accident even when you are being careful so why take the risk??????????????????? Do only what you HAVE to do...like pee...and then get the foot up!!!! Whatever got you all riled up Joll I dont know, havent read all the new post yet but I just had to chime in here to support your plea!!!!!!!
dlh

AHHHH...just saw what got ya riled up there joll.......

Last edited by dlh; 04-02-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

rollargirl HB User

Joll--Glad your on the warpath!! Suzieblueyes & I are both having surgery Monday and its a good reminder for us as well as those who just had surgery last week. My teens don't like to help much but I'll have them read your message if they get out of line!!! If I might add, the anesthesia is hard on your body in general, so rest and let your whole body recover.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

feetfirst HB User

Yes, I needed a kick in the butt, that's for sure ! This is my first foot surgery, and even though I thought I was being careful... I misjudged just how hard it really is to balance yourself with just one good foot.

This board is great.. full of expert advise from people who have already been through foot surgery, and has the knowledge of what it takes to heal properly! I swear.. I am going to be a VERY good patient, and STAY PUT!

Old 04-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Your good leg will become stronger and stronger, and in time you'll find that you can do anything on just one leg - but not until you're off your painkillers!

What riled me up was kpoe's post on another thread. She said she fell SIX times while recovering. Two times from doing the exact same thing. If you fall while trying to carry a plate while on two crutches, what makes you think you can do it the next time? She's fine, and the whole point of her post was to tell people not to do what she did, but why does anyone here need to fall even once?

Here's what I did for plates: get something on wheels. I used one of those plastic 3 or 4-drawer things on casters. I'd get onto my wheeled office chair (that I got cheaply, specifically for when I'd be too weak for my crutches), then push along my wheelie table. It's doable. The doctor spends a lot of time performing the surgery and making sure you're okay - if you mess it up, it's not only a pain, but it's a lack of respect for the doc's work, and can cause complications going back in.

grrrrrrrr. I got so mad - nobody should be falling even once, let alone six times.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

Looby HB User

The best advice I can give, is to keep your surgery shoe on AT ALL TIMES except for bed!!! (If your Dr. says it's okay, of course)

Even if you just get up to go to the bathroom 5 feet away, put it on! I take mine off to go to bed. Well, one night I got up to go to the bathroom, and didn't bother to put it on. I hit my toe on the door! It wasn't very hard, but hard enough that my toe is still a little sore from it.

I don't want to go though another surgery just because I messed up. So, be careful and listen to your Dr.!

You only have one time to heal, but the rest of your life to clean the house, walk, shop, drive, work, etc.......

Old 04-03-2005, 03:41 AM   #7
(female)

kpoe HB User

Joll, the two falls were in association with the same incident of trying to carry a plate of food. They happened one right after the other. Believe me, I did not carry a plate of food after those two falls that were in quick sequence of one another.

I started putting my food in little plastic baggies and using my mouth to carry it back to my space.

Take it easy on me - please. I did not have a caregiver, I live alone. I would've waited to do surgery at another time in life when perhaps I'll be living with someone, but the doc said operate now due to cysts on the bones.

Note also, that once I found these message boards and read Perrin's story, I never fell again. For the record, I do not disrespect my doctor, I was just trying to manage post operatively on my own - that's all.

I do hope that I have a caregiver next year when I get the right foot done.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:59 AM   #8
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

I missed it.....what happened to Perrin? Did she have surgery and then fall and need surgery again? I don't think I was on these boards when this happened...

Old 04-03-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
(female)

kpoe HB User

If you go back 3 or 4 pages, there is a thread titled, "please help I am so scared..." It follows Perrin's unfortunate setback.

Last edited by kpoe; 04-03-2005 at 05:41 AM.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoe
Joll, the two falls were in association with the same incident of trying to carry a plate of food. They happened one right after the other. Believe me, I did not carry a plate of food after those two falls that were in quick sequence of one another.

I started putting my food in little plastic baggies and using my mouth to carry it back to my space.

Take it easy on me - please. I did not have a caregiver, I live alone. I would've waited to do surgery at another time in life when perhaps I'll be living with someone, but the doc said operate now due to cysts on the bones.

Note also, that once I found these message boards and read Perrin's story, I never fell again. For the record, I do not disrespect my doctor, I was just trying to manage post operatively on my own - that's all.

I do hope that I have a caregiver next year when I get the right foot done.

I do agree with the statement...if you have foot surgery stay off your feet...
BUT for all of you that have no help & are alone doing this.....I give you a blue medal for bravery... I have a wonderful husband who took care of me as well as my mom, sister in law next door and a son who dropped by when I needed him...I am very fortunante. When you are alone that changes everything...you have no choice but to do things for yourself the best way you can and try not to hurt yourself in the process...not an easy task!!!!! I dont know if I would do it alone......so, although I truely believe you have to stay down I completely respect all of you single people or single moms...we all know it isnt always easy getting the kids to help, LOL. that are doing this by yourself...........be creative...be careful...and get well!!!!
Perrin had help, that girl just didnt get it...I feel bad for her but it is a lesson all the new people on the board should read for sure........
dlh

Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Here is another tip...........
I wore jammies with BIG pockets so I could stuff things I needed in them and carry with me.....bottle of water, a snack, meds, my cell, whatever I needed to carry. It worked great!

Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

What gets me and Lisa (Joll43) riled up is as hard as it was for us to stay off our foot, lie around day after day watching our bodies become heaps of flab, wishing we could join the world again, jealous of anyone who can take a step, watching our caregiver do absolutly everything for us on top of his or her own responsibilities, dealing with all the guilt of that, being worn out from all the sitting, not sleeping well, etc etc etc, we did it anyway, we sat on our rearends day after day. We didn't take any stupid chances. In the big scheme of things 6-12 weeks is no time at all!!! Weren't you all properly warned about the severity of this surgery and the recovery process? Didn't you do tons and tons of research before you had surgery??? Boy I sure did, I spent almost 2 years educating myself and talking to my ortho before i finally did it. I stayed off my foot completly for 7 weeks. I didn't put my foot on the floor until my PT taught me how exactly to do it. So, when Lisa and I read these posts where people are having falls or major setbacks because of not keeping their foot off the floor we just get frustrated and angry because we paid our dues!!!! But with all that said.............if you are goin at this alone and are hungry and have to figure out a way to feed yourself, then what choice do you have????? Starve? We all want everyone to come thur this o.k. without harm to ourselves or our new foot/feet. Perrin's story was just awful! That girl just wouldn't sit down. She kept insisiting she HAD to do this and HAD to do that. Her outcome was pretty bad becuase of that too. Lisa and I just want everyone to get well!! I love all the ideas about ziplock baggies and pockets! Sure wish i would have thought about that when I was home alone and starving!!!!! Take care everyone!!!!
Sharon

Old 04-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #13
(female)

kpoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonssorefoot
we just get frustrated and angry because we paid our dues!!!!
Well, please calm down. I find both of you to be leaving posts that are offensive and self righteous.

I did the best that I could living alone without any help. I scheduled friends (all working) to come by as often as I could get them. My only nearby relative is a disabled ailing mother. My other supports live in totally different states. I would have loved to have waited to get this surgery done at a time in my life when I am living with someone, but the doctor said "do not wait" (due to cysts). Yes, I did my research. I knew it would not be easy recuperating on my own, but I had no other choice given the doctor's advice to "not wait".

Given the circumstances, I am proud of myself for managing as well as I did. I continue to come here to help others, not lecture or scold them or make them feel bad. We are all human, not one of us better or worse than the other.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

You misunderstood my completly and I am sorry that I sounded offensive. I was only trying to explain why we somtimes fly off the handle when people, post op are doing too much becuase from reading from other girls posts like Perrin we know what may end up happening and don't want that to happen to anyone else. I am not trying to be self righteous. The first 5 weeks of my recovery were awful and that was even with the 100% help of my husband. I pouted, cried constantly and screamed at people for now reason and I too out of desperation climbed stairs when I had no business doing so. I didn't mean to come across as the model patient. Sorry again for making you mad. IT was not my intent.
Sharon

Old 04-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Oh and one more thing. I my defense I have been on these boards since January and I do not lecture and scold people. These boards are here for people to share their experiences, give advise, recieve advise and sometimes just vent.

Closed Thread