It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

WadPod HB User
Question Driving after bunion sugery on the right foot

Hello.

I am a 31 year old female that had bunion surgery done on my left foot almost 3 years ago. I am now scheduled to have it on my right foot.

My question is about driving. My doctor will have me in a leg cast for 6 weeks and then a walking cast for 4 additional weeks. Does anyone know if you can remove the walking cast to drive? I need an idea of when I can drive to work.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. I am SO happy with my first surgery. It was the best decision I made and I am looking forward to getting my other foot done.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: Driving after bunion sugery on the right foot

Welcome,
I don't believe you will be able to drive with anything on your foot.In one of the other threads here someone stated that some insurance companies do not cover you if you are in an accident as long as you are wearing a device on your right foot.I think it is 4-6 weeks good luck. you would not want to take anything off to drive.
Sue ,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

rollargirl HB User

Hi Wadpod,

I had my right foot done in Jan. 05 and couldn't drive until I was able to get into a regular shoe (about 8 weeks with a chevron bunionectomy). My doc said if I got in an accident the insurance would give me big problems (had happened to a patient in the past). Wait until you can put some pressure on the foot for your own safety. Take care,
Linda

Old 04-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

YEs, they are both correct. If you are in an accident insurance will not pay. YOu most likely will be advised by dr. not to drive as well. It was even hard for me to drive and mine was the left foot!!! every little bump I would practically jump out of my seat.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #5

RLMM HB User

My doctor told me that in my state (Ohio) it was illegal to drive with a surgical shoe - he might have just said that to scare me but it worked! He said that not only would insurance not pay if I caused an accident but I could also get in legal trouble for driving without a "real shoe."

R

Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
(female)

Looby HB User

Hi Wad; welcome!!

I had my right foot surgery last month. My Dr. told me that if I drove with the surgery shoe on, I could get in trouble if I got pulled over.

I just started wearing regular shoes on the 6th after my stitches were taken out and I was cleared to drive. My foot still hurts, so I try to drive as less as possible.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
(female)

WadPod HB User

Thanks R. I also live in Ohio.

I read an article somewhere that said that you can take the "walking cast" off for showering and driving, so I didn't know what everyone's experience was. Thanks for all of your input.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I drove after the first week and went back to work. I am a secretary so I put my leg up at the office. It was kind of hard to get used to at first but I drove 20 miles to and from work everyday.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
(female)

WadPod HB User
Lightbulb Re: Driving after bunion sugery on the right foot

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=4] [FONT=Book Antiqua]Okay, I wanted to clear the air regarding the driving with left foot...

Again, I live in Ohio. According to the BMV, it is [B]NOT[/B] against the law to drive with your LEFT foot. They do not recommend it, but there in NOT a law against it. I received this information from a lieutenant from the State of Ohio.

Next...my insurance company (State Farm) [B]WILL[/B] cover me if I drive with my left foot and my right is in a cast, and have an accident.

I thought these were both very informative, and wanted to share them with everyone. I would always check with your state and insurance company, but wouldn't just assume until you know for sure.

Hope this helps!!![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

That's great that you'll be covered if you have an accident while driving w/your left foot, but what if you hurt somebody, or worse? I can't imagine reacting quickly enough with my left foot, having always driven with my right, but maybe that's just me...

Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
(female)

WadPod HB User

Just as a follow up, I would practice in a parking lot and would not risk mine, or anyone else's life, if I didn't feel 100% comfortable! I know it isn't worth it just to get to work.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #12

verylongday HB User

I did not have a cast after my surgery, but just a walking cast. I was allowed by the doctor after 10 days to remove the walking cast to drive, WITH THE ORTHOPEDIC SHOE. However, it hurt too badly, so I drove with my left foot for a full month. (I actually practiced this months in advance and have done it before during right ankle injuries and such).

Good luck!

Closed Thread