It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #1

bostonbeth HB User
Foot spasms - locking toes

Hello -

I'm female, 25, and have genetic bunions that I treated with splints as a child but never had surgically repaired. They normally do not cause me discomfort unless I wear heels for an extended period of time.

Recently I have been experiencing intermittent foot spasms, that will occur perhaps once or twice a month or so in one foot or the other, never at the same time. Basically, I get a sharp pain in the area where the bones to the toes jut out and the 2 or 3 center toes will lock straight. I'm unable to bend or flex them or walk properly. I've found that by deeply massaging the foot and manually manipulating the locked toes seems to "unlock" them. I've also used a a cylindricular object (i.e. soup can) to roll my foot on, which can help. The spasms will last for 1-5 minutes and I never have any lingering pain afterwards.

I've found that these spasms tend to occur after I've been on my feet in heels for an extended period of time. Has anyone else experienced this and have any input? Obviously, wearing heels less frequently seems to be an option, but I'm curious what is causing it and if I may have an issue with compacting nerves etc.

Thank you.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User
Re: Foot spasms - locking toes

I just had a bunionectomy in January because my left foot was becoming so painful like you describe. I was having the spasms, cramps, burning pain 24/7 and had enough of it. I am 12 weeks post op and all pain is gone. It may be time to look into surgery. The bunions to affect the nerves. Look for a recuperation time of about 6 weeks and don't let a doc convince you otherwise. Read all the posts on these boards so that you will have an idea what to expect.
Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Hi,
I get that same thing and have for many years. In my case, it's due to various factors. A big one was foot neuromas. When I had surgery for them it entirely went away. However, six years later (now) the spasms/locking has returned very badly and my neuromas are back. I suggest asking your doctor about checking into that. I also have back problems which affect my feet in a similar way and I also have poor foot structure which also can contribute to it. I'm not familiar with the bunions as I never had those. I suggest asking your doctor about such things.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

imhdab HB User

I also had that same problem but with my big toe -- VERY painful. I have hallux rigidus in both feet and just had surgery on my left foot. I would talk with your doctor (and get a second opinion too, if surgery is suggested.)

Good luck!
~Heather

Old 04-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

TerriC HB User

I have these kind of foot spasms for years - waking up in the middle of the night with my toes contorted - and having to jump out of bed and walk it out - sometimes quickly and sometimes it took awhile. My GP said to take calcium with magnesium which did help - Tonic water with quinine also helps (gin added makes it better!) I also stopped wearing high heels. I did have one spasm which resulted in a charlie horse in my calf which did not release - I had to go to physical therapy for a month to get that spasm to release. My extremely flat feet have a lot to do with that. Good shoes, and listening to your body helps - I got to the point that I had a pretty good idea that if I did an extreme amount of walking that I would have issues. Good luck1

Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
(female)

jjnhra1 HB User

I have had this problem with my toes at first the 2nd and 3rd would lock as I was walking and then my leg would give out. This happened on both feet but mostly in my right. Now it is happening to my feet and legs. I get the charlie horse in the calves but the feet get all contourted where i have to bend them and rub them till it goes away. It happened again night and it just keeps happening over and over again. I went to the foot doctor he took xrays and said I will need surgery something about the bones being crossed?? I dont know if this has anything to do with this problem. I was sitting at the kitchen table last night and all of a sudden my second toe had a spasm and bent all the way down while the other toes stayed straight. Does anyone have any answers to this.
Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
(female)

jbeans HB User

I don't have an answer... I wish I did though! I've had the same thing happen to me before and it was extrememly painful. I've done a lot of reading about neuromas, but few websites mention foot spasms as a symptom. My worst spasms are similar to what you described... the 2nd toe bends down and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th completely lock (one time one of my toes dislocated it was so severe). I'm a 25 year old female... active, but by no means an athlete. I am now very careful about how I walk, move, and distribute the weight on my right foot because Iím afraid of setting off a spasm. Standing too long or putting too much pressure on the ball of my foot is pretty much all it takes. Iíve gotten used to being careful with my right foot, and if I feel my toes / the ball of my foot start to tighten Ė I walk around and try to avoid the spasm. For the most part - I'm nowhere.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I would say a recovery period of at least 6 weeks, maybe more....my doctor told me 4 weeks, a friend told me 5, and I'm at 3 months and still dealing with issues....BUT the bunion is pain free. It is all the other stuff that are issues now...the sesamoid bones, swelling, scar tissue, the incision.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

Before you go to the extreme of looking into surgery, I would suggest you look at simpler procedures. It is possible that this could be strictly muscular and that you can treat this with deep tissue massage, strengthening (toe raises) and icing. See if this gives you some relief. The fact that you are able to massage this out yourself suggests that it being a muscle issue is possible.

Closed Thread