It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

Kattie43 HB User
Does removing a toenail remove the fungus problem?

I'm begining to think NOT. I have had the same toenail removed twice (2nd time with the toenail bed) and three years later I was recently told by my doctor that the weird callous stuff that has grown where the nail once was had fungus!!! I do NOT want to go thru another toenail removal. I had a lot of problems with that so what do I do now??

Would that Lamisil I see advertise work?

Old 04-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

momadeus HB User
Re: Does removing a toenail remove the fungus problem?

Hi, I have had problems with toenail fungus for about a year, ever since I lost toenails on my biggest toes twice on both feet, as a result of running on an inclined treadmill. I never thought it was because of incorrect shoe size that my toes were jamming against the ends of the shoes and caused the nail loss. But anyway, I was leading up to what I think was the cause of the fungus getting started, and that is the fact that the nails were injured and also were in an environment of moisture and heat(which the fungus loves!)

I was told by an orthopedic surgeon that the Lamisil works, but it takes a couple months of medication to show any results. Also it is very expensive, something like $200 a month, and can be damaging to your liver. Apparently it is necessary to have tests done periodically to make sure the damage to the liver is not occuring. I have not taken this medicine.

I have been using a product called mycocide which I bought online at **************. I apply it every night after my bath, and then put a bandaid around the toe to keep the solution on there as long as possible. The bandaid is left on all the next day until another bath, and then replaced with fresh solution and new bandaid. I honestly think this approach is working. I can see a reduction in the amount of the nail that is discolored. I also make sure I keep every bit of nail trimmed off that can be trimmed. The product seems to keep the nail softer too, so it is much easier to cut.

It took me a long time to realize I had a problem with this until the nails began looking so bad I knew it wasn't normal. I don't watch much television, so I had not seen the ads for Lamisil. I first tried tea tree oil, but that didn't do much. I would recommend mycocide. But you must be faithful about putting it on EVERY night. Fungus is extremely persistant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

jacksinn HB User

Get Penlac from your Dr. It comes in a bottle like nail polish and that is what you do - polish your nails with it every night. It can take about a year the old fungus nails have to grow out and while they are- your preventing the new nail coming in from getting the fungus.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

Kattie43 HB User

Thank you for your replies but I still have a question...does the nail grow back even after the nail bed has been removed??

Old 05-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
(female)

momadeus HB User

I am now getting a whole new nail growing in at the base. I have about 3/8 inch of new pink nail that seems to be forming right over the old stubby stuff. I am continuing to apply the micocide at night.

Also I was told that you have to get rid of any shoes that you wear on a regular basis because the fungus is lurking there waiting to reinfect your toenails. Maybe the reason I have had good luck is that I fractured both of my heels in December and have not been able to wear my regular shoes. I am wearing some velcro strapped sandals that keep my toes in the open.

I also have read that poor hygiene is the cause of the fungus getting a grip under the nails. I am a very tidy person, and find that to be hard to believe in my case. I think it is important to change socks frequently and to bathe frequently, of course. Wash the feet with a good soap, not just soak in the bathwater or shower. Hope all this discussion helps you.

Closed Thread