It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Top of foot hurting-especially in the morning.

What could be causing this? There's a swollen area on the top of my foot by my ankle. It stays swollen all the time lately. After rest or in the morning is the worst. I can barely walk for the pain on top of my foot and swelling. My ankle is also stiff. And I'm experiencing some pain in my big toe joint. Sometimes it feels like someone is stabbing me in that joint or the top of my foot by the ankle. Hurts like all ****.

Any ideas of what this could be? Someone told me it sounds like a bone spur on top of my foot.

Any ideas of how to relieve the pain? I've been using ibuprophen and trying to keep my foot elevated as much as possible. Since this has been going on for close to a week now, do you think that icing it would help? I tried soaking in a hot bath and that didn't help.

Please, if anyone has ideas of how to relieve this pain, I'd be ever so grateful.

Thanks, Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Top of foot hurting-especially in the morning.

bump up.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 04:08 AM   #3
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Hi,

I had similar pains. (However, my entire foot was swollen - not just the ankle). I strongly suggest you see an orthopedic or podiatrist to see if there is a stress fracture. In my case, it turned out to be a reaction to a treatment I had - but also the tendons and foot neuromas I have that were kind of pulling and tugging. I still have that - and I have big toe pain at times too in addition to pulling on top of foot. I'm seeing the orthopedic doctor this week to find out why my foot is still doing that. It is hard to walk - it feels like the bones are busting but he keeps telling me it's the tendons in my foot.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

South656 HB User

Hi,

I have been experiencing serious swelling in my left foot. My right one is also swollen around the ankle but not nearly as much as the left one. I have been to see a rheumatologist about it and have since been put on prednisone for the pain and swelling to be reduced. In which case, it has. It is bruising up pretty bad right now though. The swelling around my ankle is still rather large and puffy. My ANA came back positive at 1:40 which is common in Rheumatiod Arthritis and could possibly be a symptom of lupus. If I find out anything more on the foot issue and what caused it, I will be sure to let you know. Maybe it will help in figuring out what happened with yours.

~South656

Old 06-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been to the doctor yet. I'm working and going to school right now as well as dealing with other pressing issues.

Do either of you notice the pain more in the morning when you first get out of bed? That's when mine is worst. The swelling goes on throughout the day. My right foot has been getting worse lately as well.

South, have you found out what's causing your foot problems?

Thanks.

Barb

Old 07-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

Hi, I don't mean to barge in, but you guys have described exactly what has been going on with my feet. I had the plantar fascia surgery on both feet on different occasions, most recently in February. However, I am still having this extreme pain in my right foot. It feels like the nerves are misfiring, and like my foot has "locked up," because I can't bend it. The pain is terrible, and my ankles are swollen. My podiatrist had said back in March that it would lessen over time, but it hasn't. I've also moved out of state, so I have to find a different doctor. Should I see an Orthopedic guy or another podiatrist??

Thanks for helping me to feel like I'm not really going crazy!!
Sue

Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
(female)

bre200789 HB User

Hi, I'm in my mid teens, and i recently had foot surgery in December on my left foot because I had a bone spur on the top of it. It hurts a lot in the mornings, i guess because it has been resting for the night and it needs to get used to the movement again. I am probably going to get surgery again because it is swelling up and bruising pretty badly, i have an appointment with my podiatrist on Monday and will have to get cortisone shots. Well I don't know if this helped at all, but i tried. Hope you feel better.
Bre

Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
(female)

noodles886 HB User

I was experiencing soreness/sensitivity on the top of my foot. Almost seemed like I tied my shoelaces too tight. Went to foot doctor....said I had a bone spur. Since I've had arch problems in the past, he recommended I start wearing my orthotic again. Also gave me some pads to put on top of foot to take pressure off that area. It's feeling better after 1 week...doesn't seem to be as sensitive/sore. I have no pain if I don't have shoes on.

Closed Thread