It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

SarKop HB User
Question Pin removal after bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery, does it hurt really bad

PLEASE HELP ME!! Hello, I am a little over two weeks out of a bunionectomy and hamertoe surgery! There were two screws placed in my right foot, one in the big toe and one directly down from it. But I am not worried about that, I am soooo worried about the pin that has to come out in 2 more weeks that is sticking out of my second toe. It is so gross. I have been to the doctor 4 times and everytime I look at it, it makes me sick to my stomache! Does anyone have any advice, whether good or bad. This is my second surgery in 3 years and I am only 21! If anyone could tell me anything about how their experience went with removal of pins, please tell me. Thank you sooo much! I am so nervous : (

The following user gives a hug of support to SarKop:
Lorenkadobson (01-08-2011)
Old 05-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: Pin removal after bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery, does it hurt really bad

Hi there,
I have had several foot surgeries.A couple with pins and I know how you are feeling.Even though it looks gross the Dr said if you were to hit it or stub it that it would not hurt.That amazes me but I guess you have no feeling inside your bone?So anyway when they were removed all he did was pull them out. Not really much pain just pressure.This is just my experience and I hope this makes you feel alittle better.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

SarKop HB User
Re: Pin removal after bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery, does it hurt really bad

Thanks Sue....I just had a bad experience because after surgery at my post op appt 4 days after surgery, the doctor pulled on my pin because he said it had moved and was stuck in a joint....it was THE WORSE pain of my life...and I am afraid it will feel like that again...thanks thogh : )

Old 05-30-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Don't worry - when the doctor takes out the pin because it's ready to come out, it doesn't hurt at ALL. My doc tricked me into thinking it was going to hurt: he kept saying, "now tell me when it starts to hurt" - I wasn't looking at my foot. It was in his hand the whole time - he took it out when I was distracted and I didn't even know it!

Old 05-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

SarKop HB User

Thanks Joll I am starting to feel a little bit better....I still have 2 more weeks to go until I can get it removed....hopefully I don't feel it either...What did you have the pin for?

Old 05-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

I had the pin just below where the bunion used to be - I do have a tiny scar from the pin, by the way, but it's just a dot - I had a base wedge osteotomy w/a chevron and aiken bunionectomy (meaning they broke it in three places; the base which is kind of midway down my foot, the actual bunion, and my big toe; and put two permanent screws in. the pin was between the location of the screws) on my left foot. Surgery was January 21st. That foot is now my good foot, since I had the right one done last Wednesday. I'm in a cast w/two screws but no pin. I'll be NWB for only about two weeks this time since he did a different procedure (Scarf Bunionectomy).

Old 05-31-2005, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I had two pins in my big toe after a fusion removed. It was not bad at all when they were removed, the best part I could now at least try putting my foot into a shoe and having to worry about the pins anymore. Just don't watch and your pin will be out before you know it.

Best wishes -eko

Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
(female)

rollargirl HB User

Hi, I have had back to back foot surgeries this year with hammertoe pins. I don't know about the bunionectomy pins but the hammertoe ones are big and if you bump them you see stars!! My doc numbed my foot before taking out the hammertoe pins. The shots hurt but then there was no pain getting the pin out. I kept the last pin and it is close to 5" long so ask the doc to numb your foot with injections. My doc said he wouldn't remove hammertoe pins with doing the shots first. I told him I thought of the procedure as mini-childbirth. It hurts but has to come out and feels great once its over!!
Linda

Old 06-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
(female)

tromom HB User

I had pins removed 2 weeks ago from 3 hammertoe repairs, and just like Joll, I did not feel a thing. I was scared to death that it would be painful. I had accidentally kicked my sofa when the pins were still in, and I thought I was going to die from the pain!!! I didn't feel anything at all when my doctor pulled the pins out. It was almost too easy. They were ready to come out. My doctor also tricked me and told me that the pins were only a couple of centimeters long. I was really surprised to see how long the pins actually were ! Everybody's situation is different though. Some doctors use pins that they screw in to the bone, and I would bet those are pretty painfull to remove. Mine were just straight pins with a big ugly yellow ball sticking out of my toes.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #10
(female)

SarKop HB User
Question Re: Pin removal after bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery, does it hurt really bad

TROMOM
I think I have the same pin as you. Mine has a yellow ball on top too. How long in inches was yours do you know?? Also how long did you have it for before getting it removed? Thanks for your post, Sarah

Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User

Hi Sarkop
I had claw toe release/fusion surgery a few yrs ago in toes 2-5. I had shish-ka-bob toes and by the time I had them out, the toes were nearly pushing the pins out.
Like what was described, it is much simpler to get them out than to put them in. And much less painful than I expected. Just let yourself be distracted and it will be over. It seems like it should hurt like the dickens, but it pleasantly does not (esp if done effectively).

Good luck!

Prisc1125

Last edited by prisc1125; 06-07-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
(female)

tromom HB User

Sarah,
My pins were about 2 1/2 inches long (not counting the cute little ball on top ) and I had them in for 4 weeks. I was glad to get them out because they kept getting caught on things!

Closed Thread