It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #1

maddiesmom HB User
How long between bunionectomies?

Hi again,
Well, I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post Austin bunionectomy and tailor's bunionectomy w/ osteotomy on my right foot and am doing well. No more crutches and am carefully heel-walking in my walking boot. Ah, it feels great to be mostly self-sufficient again!

So, how long (approximately) is recommended between bunionectomies? I'm considering getting my other foot done and would like to do it this summer if possible. I seem to remember my doc saying about 8 weeks is average between bunionectomies? Just wondering what your experience has been. My worry would be that I'd have the second foot done too soon and my 1st foot would pay the price being the dominant foot. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
(female)

rollargirl HB User
Re: How long between bunionectomies?

My doc said 3 months in between surgeries but it depends on the severity of the first surgery. I had #1 on 1/10/05 and #2 on 4/4/05 and did okay. The #1 foot was sore for the first couple of weeks but everything was healed so I did okay.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

feetfirst HB User

I had mine done 7 weeks apart, it's hard and it's been a long 3 months since I had my first surgery. Last week, I finally made it into a sneaker with my second foot (now 6 ½ weeks post op), I have a new sense of freedom, and it's good to be able to move about more normal. MORE normal is the key word... as both feet are still sore. I went shopping yesterday & today both days for about 3 hours, and my feet really are sore (and swollen). I am glad I am doing it this way, as the total recovery time is less than if you space them a year apart, plus my deductable is paid as well.

I think I have a pretty good tolerance of pain, and I have had a couple of injuries before and 7 other sugeries, 3 major, but this is tough.. I do indeed wonder how on earth people reurn to work after a few weeks, or even 6 weeks, as being on your feet is difficult.

Anyway, I think 7-12 weeks is a good time apart. At 7 weeks, I was really just resting and not using the first foot, since the second one was just done. All and all, foot #2 has been and is doing better than the first foot.

Last edited by feetfirst; 07-05-2005 at 05:00 AM.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

Looby HB User

Usually about 2-3 months. I had my 1st one done in March. I haven't had the 2nd one done yet as I am going to wait till winter.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
(female)

angdang HB User
Arrow Re: How long between bunionectomies?

My doctor feels it should be at least 8 weeks between surgeries. So I am almost halfway there! He doesn't prescribe crutches, just the surgical shoe and feels the first foot should be strong before the second one is done.

Last edited by angdang; 07-05-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #6

maddiesmom HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Feetfirst, recovery takes longer if you wait longer between surgeries? I hadn't heard that. I wonder why?

I'd like to get my 2nd foot taken care of this summer; I guess we'll wait and see how this first foot recovers and what my doctor thinks.

I have some more questions about the walking cast/boot that I'm in. It's due to be removed 7/20 and then what? Do I go to a regular sneaker? Or another type of surgical shoe? Wasn't sure what's next in line for me. Also, for those of you who wear this walking cast/boot... do you sleep in it too? I've been sleeping in mine and it's pretty hard to get comfortable with it but I tried last night without it and ended up putting it back on... I move around when I sleep and it bothered my sore foot not having the boot on.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
(female)

feetfirst HB User

Hi Maddiesmom, I didn't mean that the actually recovery is longer, but if you have one foot corrected, and say it takes 6 months to be close to normal, and than do the other foot next year, your down again for another 6 months... TOTAL recovery time: 12 MONTHS (6 months time is a sample only - could take up to 1 year according to my doctor). But since I had mine done 7 weeks apart... and if recovery was 6 months, I just added an extra 7 weeks (hope what I am saying is clear). So now I am recovering with both feet - instead of just one.

After the first week, I slept with the boot off, but it did take a sense of security away - until I got use to it. After 6 full weeks on each foot, I was instructed to go into a tennis shoe. I bought them 1/2 size larger and wide with (which I wore anyways) It will be TIGHT and hard to get into if you don't have good ROM (exercise your toes as much as you can - make sure you ask your doctor about exercise, as I recall - he doesn't give you much instructions - I started my exercise at 4 weeks) The sneaker does seem to help reduce my swelling some.

Last edited by feetfirst; 07-05-2005 at 11:09 AM.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

MM-

Does your doctor tell you anything? It sure sounds like he doesn't. He should be instructing you about the boot & sleeping. My doc wouldn't let me do the second foot until the first one was strong enough to be the "good foot". There's no way of predicting the future and telling you exactly when that will be. As for exercise, I'll be starting physical therapy for my second foot next week. When my foot gets strong enough, I'll start on the recumbent stationary bike, and when I'm able to get in and out of the pool, I'll be swimming again at the gym. PT is a must - if your doctors aren't prescribing it, ask them to. My first foot is strong and healthy, and I attribute it to physical therapy.

Closed Thread