It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
Question Bunion Surgery-More Questions!

I am scheduled for bunion surgery (right foot) on Friday. I have some questions that I'm hoping some of you (who have been through this) can answer:
1. What type of anesthesia was used for bunion surgery. I am having MAC (monitored anesthesia care)? I believe it is a local with IV sedation?

2. Did any of you get nauseous or sick from the anesthesia?

3. How difficult will it be for me to get my foot into pants or sweat pants. Any suggestions on what to wear to the hospital the day of surgery?

4. How long does the surgery last? How long can I expect to be in the recovery room?

5. What can I expect when I get home from my surgery (the first 24 hours)?

Thanks so much to anyone who can answer my questions! Seems like I have more questions for this surgery than I did for my hysterectomy!!
Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

iguanasorbust HB User
Re: Bunion Surgery-More Questions!

This website is great; just found it last night at 11:30 and already someone has answered all my questions. You may want to read my question for some 'follow up' answers to after surgery expectations.
1. I was given a local anesthesia via IV and some sleepy gas just before I entered the surgery room. I was also given a 'block' which was administered via this long teeny wire thing at my knee - painless.
2. I wasn't nauseus or sick; just a little nervous as to be expected.
3. I brought in my sister's sleep pants (which are two sizes to big with an adjustable waist band) Diameter of the leg hole at the foot is about 16". You should leave with a 'boot' that will go up to your knee. Just bring whatever is comfy.
4. Surgery lasted just under an hour; and I woke up as soon as they put me into the bed for recovery. Pain meds are in full effect so you'll actually feel good. I think the worst week pain wise has been week number two. I'm entering week four and my toes have been gradually waking up and i can feel some twitching - wierd - like they want to start walking. Its a good sign.
5. Actually for the first week - i was taking my pain medication (hydrocodone) daily and had to scoot on my butt to make it to the bathroom. I was on my bed the entire time with my foot elevated with an ice bag. I came to get sick of TV. But now i'm up and going to work and the grocery store. Oh and you'll be very exhausted come week two.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Iguanasorbust (love the name!),
Thanks so much for answering my questions! I have a feeling that I may be in more pain from this surgery than from my hysterectomy (7 weeks ago)! I had hydrocodone pain med after that surgery but only took one pill (once I was home from the hospital). My bunion surgery is ambulatory surgery and I will be home the same day. Thanks again for filling me in!

Old 07-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

1- I was given an IV sedation and then local when I went into the operating room (although I was unconscious by that point!)
2- I never got sick either.. it completely depends on your body as to how you will react though. I think it's more common to be sick with general.. but don't rule it out.
3- I agree with either large pants.. ones maybe with zippers on the side.. nothing with elastic around the ankles though. I did not have a boot.. only lots of bandaging and then a velcro shoe that barely went to my ankle... shorts are another way to go because they can slip over anything.
4- Surgery itself.. like iguana said.. is just under an hour. I woke up when they were putting the bandages on. The time you are in recovery will completely depend. They wait until you are "mostly" awake (you will be in a daze most of the day between the sedative and the pain meds). If you don't get sick, and you come to pretty easily.. then it's just left over paperwork.. crutch training if you didn't get it before hand.. instructions for care.. and the doctor will come and talk to you post-op. I think I was there and hour.. hour and a half at most after my surgery was done.
5- yep.. sleeping.. taking pain meds every 4 hours as instructed.. lots of ice.. keeping foot elevated and not moving as much as possible! (you will completely rely on the meds for at least the first 3-4 days!) I am at 6 weeks and still elevate with ice when I can, but not as regularly now. I was completely off crutches after week 4.. although really I only used them sparingly after week 3. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

angdang HB User

The operation itself is the easiest part~once they relax you and the anxiety disappears! My surgery was almost 2 hours, and yet I woke up towards the end and didn't need to go to recovery at all. They brought me right upstaris where they want you to eat something,check your vitals, fit the shoe, etc and then send you on your way. Wheeeled outside in a chair and then they are done with you! I was in a teaching hospital so the operating room was quite busy and I was told I was chatty but I don't really rememberthat. A pin was placed in my foot that absorbs and doesn't need to be removed.

Getting dressed is about nothing too complicated, drawstring pants, pull on etc, because you don't want to be fiddling around.
I took a pain pill immediatly on arriving home and one the next morning but then I realized I didn't need them. It's all about elevating, and that was the hardest part for me. I went and sat at the table a few times for a meal and they really prefer you not to get up except for the bathroom
I am going through this again on the other foot, in 2 weeks when I am at 8 weeks....sigh!

Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Thanks so much, everyone, for your replies! I had hysterectomy surgery in June and recovered so amazingly fast. I am actually more afraid of this bunion surgery, as I know that it is a slow healing process. I also have Raynaud's, which makes recovery of the toes even more difficult. I am a bit afraid of the anesthesia, as I had the same type in January when I had an endometrial ablation. I passed out on the ride home and had to go back to the ER (scared my husband something wicked!). Then, I started getting sick in the ER and kept vomiting. Oddly enough, I do much better with general anesthesia (have had it twice and have not been sick from it). I also think that the nurses may have discharged me too quickly after my ablation surgery. As SOON as I woke up, they took me to the bathroom, gave me a drink of water with a few saltine crackers and then I walked out of the hospital! Thankfully, my bunion surgery is at a different hospital!
Again...thanks to everyone for your replies. I do greatly appreciate it!

Old 07-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
(female)

Louthedog HB User

Roz
Is the surgery for this friday??

I had both bunions repaired.. One on April 1st, with a bone screw , and another on April 29th without a screw...
I was so apprehensive, but after reading these boards, I felt so much better.

I did just fine, never threw up, not once...

Just take your pain medication around the clock... set the alarm the first 48 hours and take your pain med, whether you need it or not... and you will be fine. My MD gave me something for nausea, and I took it around the clock for the first 48 hours as well... even though I was not nauseated, it will help potentiate the pain medication...

I did fine, and did exactly what I was told,,, to the tee..

I wore heels yesterday for the first time in years without excruciating pain
Keep us posted.

-Lou

Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Lou,
Yes, my surgery is this Friday. I'm glad you mentioned to me about taking the pain medication whether I need it or not. My only fear is the dreadful constipation that goes along with pain medications!! Thankfully, I didn't need to use the meds for my recent hysterectomy. Advil worked just fine. Something tells me that the pain from my foot is going to be worse? I just hope I can get my foot into a shoe when I go back to work (teaching) Sept. 6th! Thanks again!
Lisa

Old 07-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
(female)

Louthedog HB User

yes, you will be back in a shoe then.. no problem

take some stool softeners, and drink alot of water based fluids...

you need to take the meds on a schedule, because bone pain can be more difficult to control if it gets out of hand... don't get me wrong, you will have soreness for a few days... but the pain meds really, really help, and it is very tolerable

good luck
-Lou

Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

you will probably find that the strong medication you will only need for a few days.. even by day 4 I think I was taking them sporadically.. but make sure to take the anti-inflammatory meds (they gave me Naproxen.. or prescription Alleve) at the given times. I still take them now and then at week 6 when it gets sore.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Anti-inflammatory meds ? I was not given an information about those.....just the Vicadin. I'm hoping to survive on Advil....we'll see! Thanks so much, everyone, for your helpful replies! Very much appreciated!
Lisa

Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
(female)

HawaiiFlower HB User

I had bunion surgery on my right foot last September 1st.

I was given the IV sedation (the anesthesiologist called it a margarita), and was unconscious before surgery, and began to wake up when they put the bandages on. The anesthesia didn't make me sick at all, I felt great leaving the hospital, however the hydrocodone did make me sick and I threw up after the 2nd day of taking them. So I called my doctor and she said to take just one of those plus 2 extra strength Tylenol, and that worked great.

I wore sweat pants to the hospital thinking my foot would fit into them with the cast thing on, but I ended up going home in size 3X hospital pants (I weigh 100 lbs...)

Be prepared for lots of boredom - stock up on movies, magazines - I even did boring crossword puzzles, and slept a LOT because there was nothing else to do.

Definitely take the pain meds on schedule, and if they make you sick, call your Dr, maybe they'll suggest the Tylenol thing.

Good luck with the crutches, taking showers (I rigged a camping chair in my tub and used the removable shower head), and enjoy your cute new foot!

Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Thanks for the tips, HawaiiFlower!
My, you only weigh 100 pounds? You're a little bitty thing! I weigh 137, after losing 50 pounds since last June. My biggest fear is gaining weight from being imobile for so long. I'm used to walking on the treadmill twice a day. The fact that i had a hysterectomy 7 weeks ago only magnifies my fears I'm trying to get these darn hormones in check , however, I cannot start hormone replacement therapy until I am up and mobile. My dear husband has been a saint through all of this!
I intend to wear sweat shorts to the hospital (with a drawstring waist). I always worry about looking decent, but there comes a time when COMFORT is most essential!
Thanks again for your helpful tips!
Lisa

Old 08-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
(female)

xxxcarlyxxx HB User

hi my name is cary im only 14 years of age and ive got bunions that are really painfull i carnt wear any high shoes because when i put them on my bunions are pressing against the shoe and its really painfull for me i dont want too have my bunions off because im scared incase they hurt me i would want too be put asleep ive heard lots of rumous about bunions if i have them off but i want my toes too be straight and normall se i can wear any shoes i like without my feet hurting me would the doctor be able too give me anything for the bunions ?

Last edited by xxxcarlyxxx; 08-13-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #15
(female)

xxxcarlyxxx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angdang
The operation itself is the easiest part~once they relax you and the anxiety disappears! My surgery was almost 2 hours, and yet I woke up towards the end and didn't need to go to recovery at all. They brought me right upstaris where they want you to eat something,check your vitals, fit the shoe, etc and then send you on your way. Wheeeled outside in a chair and then they are done with you! I was in a teaching hospital so the operating room was quite busy and I was told I was chatty but I don't really rememberthat. A pin was placed in my foot that absorbs and doesn't need to be removed.

Getting dressed is about nothing too complicated, drawstring pants, pull on etc, because you don't want to be fiddling around.
I took a pain pill immediatly on arriving home and one the next morning but then I realized I didn't need them. It's all about elevating, and that was the hardest part for me. I went and sat at the table a few times for a meal and they really prefer you not to get up except for the bathroom
I am going through this again on the other foot, in 2 weeks when I am at 8 weeks....sigh!
was it painfull when you had the bunion off and how long were you down the theater?

Closed Thread