It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User
Pain Meds for Bunion Surgery

I'm having my bunion surgery on Friday and am curious to know what pain meds many of you have received following surgery. Also, do the pain meds make you sick? I have a prescription for Vicodin (Hydrocodone/APAP 5/500). I've never taken this med before and have no clue how "potent" it is!
Thanks so much!
Lisa

Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
(female)

mediamom HB User
Re: Pain Meds for Bunion Surgery

I also used Vicodin after my bunion surgery. Percoset is also prescribed but it made me itchy . Anyway, I don't get sick to my stomach from pain meds so had no trouble. I think the key is to keep some food in you and to drink plenty of water. I don't recall Vicodin being a drug that makes a lot of people sick anyway but you can ask doc for RX beforehand (maybe for one or two tabs) and take before surgery as a test. Just explain that to him that you're really worried -- especially if you tend to get sick on medications.

Keep on top of your pain for the first 48 to 72 hours. Don't wait until it gets bad to take the meds. I took mine before I left the hospital (nurse gave me something but if they don't, take it yourself when you leave) and then I took next dose 4 hours later like clockwork. If you wait, it may be tough to get it under control. This is so important. You can also take 800 mg of ibuprofen. My doc prescribed both---he said take ibu first and if you need more relief, add a Vicoden. It's not dangerous to take them both, which I didn't know and this helped. Also, be prepared with ice and elevation, which will really help with pain.

Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

rollargirl HB User

Vicodin is known for upsetting stomachs and causing vomiting but is a good pain med. My doc said he can't take it, I can't and my daughter cannot either. I had morphine (pills) which made me spacey but killed the pain. I also take Percocet (works well for me). Ask for anti-nausea pills just in case especially if you have a sensitive stomach. I have problems with anesthesia and always get suppositories to stop the nausea/vomiting. Keep ahead of your pain by taking your meds even if you don't think you need them the first few days. Keep us posted on your surgery and try to relax--it will be over soon and you will be on the mend.
Linda

Old 07-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

TerriC HB User

I used Tramadol because I'm allergic to acetominophen and Advil - worked for me.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
(female)

feetfirst HB User

I was given Vicodin (Hydrocodone/APAP 10/1000) to take every 6 hours, it worked very well for me and kept the pain at bay. I was also given an anti inflammatory Celebrex that I took for 14 days. Good luck to you on your surgery!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

My podiatrist never mentioned anything about an anti-inflammatory med. at my pre-op appointment. She did give me the Vicodin prescription, which I did fill. Is the anti-inflammatory med something I will get as a post-op med?

Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

they may give it to you post-op.. I recommend the prescription version just because you can take them at less intervals (I was taking the Naproxen every 12 hours.. which is prescription strengh Alleve).. someone mentioned Celebrex.. but I am allergic to that. My prior surgeries I was given high doses of ibuprofen (Advil). Basically one pill at a time (prescription) versus 4 out of the bottle. All Vicoden does is block the pain (which I was prescribed as well as the Naproxen). Whereas the anti-inflammatories help keep some of the swelling down and works to prevent the pain.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
(female)

HawaiiFlower HB User

Vicodin made me throw up, so my doctor said to take just one Vic with 2 extra strength Tylenol. I wasn't given any anti-inflammatory meds either.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
(female)

ariel2 HB User
Question Re: Pain Meds for Bunion Surgery

i will have surgery on all 10 toes bilaterally on monday. anyone take combunox? its oxycodone and ibuprofen.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
(female)

Location: Central Coast, California - about 5 minutes from the ocean
Gourmet Gayle HB User

Welcome Roz:
Iím 5 weeks post op from total foot reconstruction including bunionectomy - and wanted to give you a heads up about Vicoden, Percocet or any of the narcotic pain killers you may take prescribed by your doctor. Take stool softeners along with them --- I also took fiber tabs. All of those high powered medications have a tendency to constipate, and thatís the last thing you need to worry about post op. Also, be sure to drink lotís & lotís of water and remember what several of the other ďFootieísĒ said about staying on top of medication BEFORE the pain. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
((~.~)) Gayle

Old 07-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Thanks for the tips, Gayle!
I had my surgery this morning and came home today at 2:00. MY FOOT HURTS!!! I have been taking 2 Vicodin every 4 hours to stay on top of the pain. Despite all of the numbing meds in surgery, my foot began to hurt in recovery. The nurse had to call my doctor and ask for a shot of something more in my IV. I am taking stool softners, as I was also doing that following my hysterectomy in June. Thankfully, I always drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. Let's hope the pain stops and I don't get constipated!!! I'm goint to plant myself on the couch again and elevate/ice. Thanks again!
Lisa

Old 07-30-2005, 08:23 AM   #12
(female)

rollargirl HB User

Lisa--So glad to hear your surgery is behind you. I also had pain between my Percocet so my doc told me to take 4-8 Advil two hours after my heavy duty pain meds. So for about 36 hours I was taking something every two hours. I would vary the number of Advil based on my pain level.
Stay on top of the constipation--I took stool softeners and fiber and still got in terrible shape from constipation. It finally took 2-3 enemas to get things going for me.

Its so important to keep your foot up and iced. Its boring but will keep the pain down and help you body heal.
Linda

Old 07-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Thanks for the tips, Linda! I have been alternating Vicodin with 3 Advil and right now, it is keeping the pain at bay. Boy, you can sure tell when you've been up for too long, as the throbbing starts to kick in! I know that I am going to go CRAZY on the couch!! And just HOW LONG am I going to be down??
Lisa

Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I found after 2 weeks the throbbing got a lot better.. I was up and around much more after 3 weeks.. so really the first 2 were the worst.. and then it got better week by week. (I am at 7 weeks now and walking around pretty good). Still can't go for my daily walks which get depressing.. although I did walk around my development a little the other day.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #15
(male)

spal HB User

Hi Lisa

I had bunion surgery last Friday (11th) on both feet and now have 3 screws in each foot. I was under general anesthetic and given morpheine as I came round. I also had nerve blocks, so I was in no pain until the following morning and even then it was hardly noticeable. The Phisio put me in walking shoes which velcro over the plaster casts and I had to walk with crutches. I left hospital on Sat evening and took Paracetomal and an anti-inflammetry drug for 2 days. By Tuesday, I had no further need for pain-killers.

Everyone said this is a very painful type of operation, but I was surprised and relieved to find this hasn't been the case. The only discomfort now is swelling against the plaster from the top of my feet when I stand up for any length of time. I can walk to the village shop with crutches every day (weighting my heels) and I feel more confident doing this without any pain meds to mask any pain twinges, so I can be sure I'm not dislodging anything. I think the bone probably starts to knit after 2-3 days.

Good luck for your op

Simon (UK)

Closed Thread