It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User
Bunion Surgery & Purple Foot!

I am officially 4 weeks post op from my bunion surgery and am noticing that my foot turns quite purple when it is "un-wrapped". When I am showering in the morning, it is incredibly purple. At night time before bed when I take the wrapping of...it turns purple. Is this normal? I do have Raynaud's syndrome and am a bit worried about the circulation in my toes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

Suni321 HB User
Re: Bunion Surgery & Purple Foot!

Hi Roz! I think it's pretty normal as long as it's not staying purple once your off it. Before you take the wrap off at night are you on your feet longer than normal?
Mine turn purple if I take too long of a shower or stand on them too long but, once I elevate them they turn back to their normal color. Hubby saw the purple though this week after a shower & freaked but I was able to get him calmed down!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

flahertk HB User

I thought mine kind of looked like a dead foot! I am finding the same thing, that the foot gets very dark at times. I'm really surprised at how much I still have to elevate it. Guess I tend to want to rush things!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

feetfirst HB User

Hi Roz, 100% normal! I asked my doctor about this, and it's the blood going to the injured part as is healing.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

Whew! Thanks for your replies!! I had a feeling a purple foot was normal....but wasn't sure. Funny thing.....2 people have mentioned to me that my legs are 2 different colors and the leg with the foot surgery is a darker color!! Can't imagine why, but thought it was odd that 2 different people (at 2 different times) had mentioned it to me! I haven't been out in the sun, so I have no clue why!

Old 08-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Roz,
I had ankle surgery 3 months ago, and my foot still gets dark at times. Just takes time. Be patient. Ice and elevate.
Nancy

Old 09-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
(female)

kimberlee19 HB User

Hi suni, I also have a problem with my legs turning purple if I stand up too long or take a long shower. Do you know why this happens? I noticed you said yours do the same thing. I was just wondering if there is a reason for it or not.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
(female)

Suni321 HB User

Hi Kimberlee! Sorry to hear yours turn purple too but, I did recently find out what causes it. Apparently it's from the blood pooling (standing in one spot) & it's suppose to be pretty normal unless it lasts for long durations after the foot is propped up. I was mostly seeing it after standing in the shower for 10+ minutes in one spot.
Mine are doing it less & less as I gradually increase my time on my feet.
Plus massaging the feet a couple of times a day helps to stimulate them & keep the blood flowing - which seems to help them from getting purple when standing I do actually stand on them.
Hope that helps!

Last edited by Suni321; 09-06-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Closed Thread