It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

DCFeet HB User
Cast Off- Dry Skin Advice?

Had bunion and foot surgery about two months ago and the cast is finally off. My foot, while happy at its new found freedom, is shedding skin like crazy and my whole foot/leg is one big scaly dry skin mess. Anyone else have dry skin issues and any good remedies or at least things to help the process along? I'm sure there's nothing like a good loofah, but I'm still a bit trigger-shy around my foot and haven't really gotten comfortable with it yet.

Also- how long before you notice any improvement with the toe exercises?

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I'll have enough knowledge by the time this thing is over to pass it along.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Cast Off- Dry Skin Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFeet
Had bunion and foot surgery about two months ago and the cast is finally off. My foot, while happy at its new found freedom, is shedding skin like crazy and my whole foot/leg is one big scaly dry skin mess. Anyone else have dry skin issues and any good remedies or at least things to help the process along? I'm sure there's nothing like a good loofah, but I'm still a bit trigger-shy around my foot and haven't really gotten comfortable with it yet.

Also- how long before you notice any improvement with the toe exercises?

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I'll have enough knowledge by the time this thing is over to pass it along.
What I did when my cast came off was to wash my leg and foot gently with a washcloth, removing as much of the dead skin as possible, then I would lotion it up. Repeat that for several days, because you skin is very sensitive right now after living in a cast. After several day, go ahead and take a loofah to it, or use an exfoliating scrub, making sure to apply lotion afterwards. Go ahead a spoil your foot, massage it when you put lotion on, it will help with scar tissue and will help you get more comfortable with it.

Take care -eko.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

I used my Olay Daily Facials (disposable cloths w/soap in them) and scrubbed very lightly around my incision and harder on the rest of my foot. You just have to keep exfoliating and follow with a good THICK lotion - it'll pass very quickly and you won't even remember it! For me, it seems like ages ago....

Old 09-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

DCFeet HB User

Thanks a lot- I really appreciate it.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
(female)

Suni321 HB User

Hi DC - congrats on getting your casts off! After getting mine off - I took a warm bath. After about 15 minutes into the bath after having my feet soaking (dual bunionectomy) I took a soft wash cloth and softly scrubbed my feet. After a few minutes I had all the dead skin off (granted it was a wee bit gross) after getting out I slatered on lotion & put on a pair of my husbands cotton socks. (Since his feet are bigger the socks were loose & didn't rub on the scars). After this I had very little issue with the dead skin....but keep slatering lotion on and massaging your feet & scars.

As far as the exercises I noticed a big difference after the first week of doing them 4-6x per day (one toe had been pointing up). But, the most dramatic difference I got was after I started going to physical therapy 3x a week. They helped me to do some really amazing things - I had a couple of toes that would not touch the floor which had freaked me out. But after a few weeks of PT & doing the exercises they recommended on my own - all toes touch the ground when I walk & my scars look so much better.

Hope that helps! Hang in there you're on your way!

Last edited by Suni321; 09-16-2005 at 05:42 AM.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

I agree, PT is an absolute MUST. I have two totally new feet, and it's amazing.

The thing about baths---I was really reluctant to take baths because I thought my feet my swell more from the heat - just watch out for that.

Closed Thread