It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
(male)

doglover HB User
Anyone Broken Their Pinky Toe? Need Advice Please.

Broke my pinky toe in martial arts class tonight. At least I think I broke it. I looked down and the toe was pointing 90 degrees to the right of my foot. I tried to pop it back in, but could not do it.

Right now, I have it taped to the next toe hoping it will go back into place.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

Old 09-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Anyone Broken Their Pinky Toe? Need Advice Please.

I had the same thing happen.. caught my toe on the leg of a chair though walking barefoot. I looked down and it was sticking out sideways so I knew it was broken! Best thing is what you just did.. tape it to the other toe. Stay off of it as much as possible. I didn't use crutches, but just minimized moving around. Ice it as much as possible and keep it elevated as much as possible! I went to the doc and had X-rays, but all they did is tell me to tape it and ice it..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #3

Laura-Lou HB User

It sounds like you might have dislocated it. I didn't know until I broke one of my toes two weeks ago that toes can get dislocated... but I guess any joint can get dislocated. Makes sense. If your toe doesn't go back to its normal position by tomorrow, I'd go see a doctor. If you dislocated it, it needs to be set. And another thing I learned is that if you decide to tape your toes together by yourself instead of having a doctor do it, you have to have adequate padding between the toes. I guess taping them directly to each other can cause pressure sores as the skin rubs against the skin.

I sympathisize with you, I fractured my fourth toe on my left toe (ironically)about fifteen minutes after I got home from going to my first Tae-Kwan-Do class. I tripped on the dog and her hamstring went between my toes and when I stumbled, I heard my toe crack and felt this awful, nauseating pain. For the first day by toe swelled up pretty badly and was leaning unnaturally to the left (this was my left foot). So although I didn't have a 90 degree thing happen, the leaning was enough to tell me something serious had happened.

I'm still in pain even now and its two weeks later. I finally went to see my family doctor yesterday, she recommended that I get an x-ray to see if it was fractured and not just badly bruised. I got the results back today and sure enough I fractured a bone in my toe and she is now sending me to an orthopedic doctor. I'll be going tomorrow morning and I'm sure he will either put it in a boot or put a cast on it. I've been gimping on in for the past two weeks though so I'm sure that hasn't helped at all.

It sounds like your incident was more serious than mine so I would definitely go see someone and get an X-ray done. People will tell you all the doctor can do is buddy tape it but you just want to make sure damage is minimal and surgery won't be needed.

Hope you heal quickly!
Laura

Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
(male)

doglover HB User

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #5

inhisname HB User

I broke my pinky toes on my left foot August 15th and am still suffering. It was 2 weeks before I could wear a shoe. What I dont understand is I asked 2 different drs if I should see an orthopedic and they said that was toatally uneccesary. Now Im wondering since your dr suggested you go.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
(male)

doglover HB User

Get an x-ray just in case something is wrong (like bone chips). Other than that, there is not much that can be done.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
(female)

opus88 HB User

To anyone:
I think I broke my left pinky toe 3 weeks ago - it swelled up right away and was sticking out a bit sideways, though not 90 degrees. We iced it right away and I slept with a tight sock over it. I called the hospital and she said they would just buddy tape it, and to be sure to put gauze between.

Well, I didn't tape it because I'm allergic to tape. In fact, since having that foot taped 10 years ago, I cannot get rid of a horrid fungus - the last thing I wanted was to provoke that mess which is relatively dormant at the moment.

But here it is 3 weeks later and I'm still having trouble. Can't fully bend the pinky or 4th toe when trying to squeeze them. Still hobbling on the inside of my foot with my foot pointed out sideways. Is this normal? Should I get it x-rayed? I mean, if they wouldn't have done anything but tape it in the first place, is it worth it, or should I just give it more time? It's not as bad as it was, but is definitely a problem - it's keeping me from getting any exercise, and I'm worried about developing a gait problem!

To inhisname: How are you now? Is your toe still a problem? I see where after 2 months you still had trouble.

Last edited by opus88; 12-04-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #8
(male)

doglover HB User

You need to get it an x-ray to see if there is something else wrong.

You may have a broken foot, and not just a broken toe.

Closed Thread