It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User
2nd metatarsal osteotomy...help...

Has any one had a shortening of the second toe for pain in the lisfranc joint.???
What did you have done?? What happened post-op?? I am very confused at this point and need any help anyone can give me...please respond...thanks

Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
(female)

feetfirst HB User
Re: 2nd metatarsal osteotomy...help...

Hi there, I has this procedure done at the same time as my bunion surgeries (both feet). I had it dine due to the metataesal bone was a little too long, and caused ball of the foot pain. I was putting more pressure/weight on the 2nd met. head, than the first. A millimeter or so was removed and a permanent pin was used to hold position. It's been 6 months on first foot, and 4 on the other. I had and still do, have worse presurre with the first foot (2nd foot is fine). I had to go back a month or so ago to have the pin removed (it was easy - no recovery time). Pain is less - but still there.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

Last edited by feetfirst; 10-11-2005 at 04:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

sbrewer HB User

Hi,
Wow, my husband has had severe pain in his 2nd toe for over a year. He went to the podiatrist and x-rays were taken but nothing was found. He was put on pain meds and is still on them, anyway he kept going back so finally exploritory surgery was done in April. My husband felt a knot on the toe(joint in center of toe)but the dr. never felt it. When the dr. went in with the knife he then said he saw it and "scraped the bone". Well months have gone by more x-rays taken and reveal nothing and still on pain meds. Now however he can't bend the toe. We beleive the bone grew together. The dr. said the next step would be to shorten the toe. We thought he was full of you know what, so when I read this I was amazed. Did the shortening work?
thanks,
sbrewer

Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Feetfirst, Thank you so much for replying. I had bunion osteotomy 15 years ago and it is very clear on the xray that the second metatarsal is way longer than the first and of course third. I think maybe at least 5mm. The pain for me is in the lisfranc joint. Were you none weightbearing after surgery? For how long? How about swelling and pain meds? Were you awake during the procedure? Did you have a cast, a boot or nothing...Thanks What I'm really worried about is that my feet won't look the same as I have no symptoms in the other foot and no reason to alter that one.. Have lived with the second toe longer than the first all my life but imagine one longer and one shorter...!!! The doctor has said possibly shorten the second metatarsal and insert a screw (which he has never had to remove) (two weeks none weightbearing and 4 in boot)or fuse the tmt joint depending on the bone scan??? (6weeks none weightbearing and then what? I don't know...)

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 10-11-2005 at 06:47 PM.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

SBrewer, I may have mislead you as I said second toe when I actually meant second metatarsal not the phalange. Never had a problem with my toes but with the joint higher up in the arch. I have been in a boot ...like you..since June and hope to have the problem resolved soon as I am now seeing someone specializing in feet. Will have a bone scan next week, I think...Must be hard with both husband and wife having foot problems at the same time! Good luck with your dilemma, I am rooting for you! My hubby's back always flairs up when I complain about my foot...so I try to remain as quiet as possible.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-12-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Closed Thread