It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User
Driving with a cast is a no-no....

Hey! I just picked up my disabled placard and as I have been practicing with my left foot I thought I would drive that way. There are so many posters talking about it. However, on one of my forms it states ***** State law does not permit the driving of a vehicle if you have ANY TYPE of cast on your leg! That includes a boot which must be removed. I was told for any king of accident you are automatically at fault. So I WON'T be driving for 6 weeks. I guess I have to check into public transportation as I don't know many people here. I have recently moved to a new state. How does one get to doctor appointments?

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 11-09-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

Stacey Lynn HB User
Re: Driving with a cast is a no-no....

I never looked into it- I just did it. I had previously had trouble driving with the boot on but was okay if I took it off. During the summer I had a cast on the right leg and had to trade cars with my Mom- I have a stick shift. My toes were exposed and I found no problem using them to drive so I traded back. I never had any trouble- unlike my mother trying to drive my stick!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

wtwct HB User

I have a boot on my right foot. I drove Friday. I cannot drive my car, but I can drive my mothers car. I did not know that it was a big no. no.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

wtwct...you should probably check unless you want to take the chance. I know where I lived before and where I live now it is not allowed by law. Thanks for being there to reply to my other surgery questions!!

Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I was driving after a week and a half, but I only had a large bandage and surgical shoe.. not big boot or cast. My mom had her right foot done years ago.. she drove every day with her left foot and didn't worry about it. It was funny because when her right foot was healed enough to use pressure, she had to re-learn to use her right foot!

Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User

I wonder if this varies from state to state? I'm going to have to check out my state law... although my cast will be on my left foot, so don't know if that would count anyway...?

Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
(female)

Annette06 HB User

I don't see how you could possibly drive with a full boot on anyway - It is so thick at the bottom that there is no way you could feel the pedals underneath as well as it would overlap on them (break and gas) due to the size.

I have been driving with my LT foot for the last 7 weeks but as I told someone else prior, I practiced well in advance of my surgery in my neighborhood and parking lots. You need to have a strong quadricep and have to make sure of your angle that you are not straining the inside of your knee, etc.

I too had heard if you do get caught driving with a boot or cast or an opposite leg or get an accident you will be faulted as it like you were driving while under the influence?

I am just beginning to relearn to drive with my RT foot but because I was in a boot for so long (5 wks) and I am still unable to walk w/o a limp, and my calf muscle having atrophied - I find my RT leg to much weaker. Not so much with the acceleration but in applying the break. On acceleration I find I cannot do it for too long without getting a cramp.

I am hoping with PT and increased movement this will soon be corrected!

Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
(female)

Looby HB User

My podiatrist tells his patients that they can drive the day after surgery. I sooo disagree with this. The day after my surgery, my foot was completely numb. It's been two months and my foot is still a little numb.
I am getting the screw removed tomorrow morning and having the other foot (bunion) taken care of at the same time.

Closed Thread