It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

missree HB User
heel pain and hip pain

I am 59 yrs old,and I have had heel spurs(plantar fasciitis) for 8 months now.It was confermed by x-ray 4 months ago.I have bought New Balance shoes,bought Spenco inserts that has the rigid orthodic attached to it,that the Dr asked me to get,also got cortisone shot in each heel,I have done stretching excersises,put my feet on some ice for 3 minutes at a time for 10 minutes,used a foot spa once in a while,and nothing helps.I'm in a lot of pain(in both heels),and now I have pain in my left hip near the groin area.will having heel spurs also cause hip pain? I am on my feet at work 6 hours a day,when I get home I can just barely walk,i'm in so much pain.will not go back to Dr,don't have good insurance..any suggestions?

Last edited by missree; 11-19-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: heel pain and hip pain

Plantar fasciitis is difficult to get rid of. Have you tried stretching. I have had it in both heels for a few months, stretching has helped some as well as I have been wearing a night splint on the one foot for about a month and I notice a difference when I don't wear it at night.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: do not post any kind of information to find websites - read and follow the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
(female)

missree HB User

yes I do stretching excersises,even tho i still have a lot of pain in my heels,I wonder if that has anything to do with the pain I now have in my left hip.does anyone know if hip pain can be related to plantar fashiitis?

Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
(female)

wtwct HB User

Yes it can. If you have an abnormal gait or walking, this can cause all kinds of pain. Do you limp?

Old 11-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

missree HB User

yes,I do limp,because of the pain.the pain in my hip just started about 4 weeks ago.I do take Advil,but it don't do anything for the heels or hip.I get so discouraged,I don't know what else to do.

Old 11-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
(female)

Stacey Lynn HB User

I just had surgery for Plantar Fascia Release (see thread documenting a few cases). Believe me when your feet hurt everything can hurt in response. You start to alter your gait and other parts of your feet, your knees, hips, back and even neck and shoulders can start to hurt! There is no magic solution to PF either, thats why after trying everything (cortisone, orthotics, ice, stretching, physical therapy, ultrasonic massage, walking boots, night splints, even a month in a cast) Ihave finally bit the bullet and had the surgery... it's a long recovery but so far so good!

Good luck to you-

Old 11-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
(female)

missree HB User

don't they go in and grind down the spur? I have heard they do that,(but not recently )since the spur is made up of calcium.don't you think it's less painfull and a quicker recovery than having the plantar fascia release? also,doesn't a Dr have to suggest surgery and not you?

Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 AM   #8
(female)

wtwct HB User

I will ask the Physical Therapist this a.m.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #9
(female)

Ekris3 HB User

I too, have major hip pain. My hips and back are absolutely killing me. Can't stand in line at the grocery store, stand and fold a load of laundry w/out my hips and back hurting. Everytime I stand up from sitting or lying down it takes about 10 steps of limping before I can straighten up. All this is from a foot injury almost two years ago. It's just awful. My foot and ankle hurt also. I feel like an old crippled woman and I'm only 41. Have got to try and get my foot fixed. I broke it and messed up the ankle in a fall and it didn't heal right. Have been to 3 different surgeons, have had CT and MRI scans, and the subtalor, calcaneal cuboid and talonavicular joints are all messed up. Have tried cortisone shot, 4 months of physical therapy, inserts in my shoes and it all just keeps getting worse. It's very frustrating.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
(female)

Stacey Lynn HB User

Yes Missree- She did grind down the spur as well as the full release of the Plantar Fascia, at least in my case she did. I understand that the spur is caused by the Plantar Fasciitis not the other way around like they used to think but it would continue to be a source of aggrevation to the heel tissue after the fascia release if left on the heel. I'm sure it is a decision made based on the size and location of the spur.
I didn't really want the surgery- I had read awful things about it and was afraid I'd wind up worse off than I was before the surgery. But the Pod and I had pretty much ran out of alternatives. She felt it was really the only other option and I was tired of being in pain. Still, I was concerned about what I heard and read on sites like this and then I read something that made a lot of sense to me... "The people who have had success are out living their lives and don't have time to post to boards about their success- it's those who have failed to find results or those still looking for their solution (or those of us recovering) that have time to sit at the computer and dwell on it!" With that to think about, take all you read with a grain of salt and listen to a podiatrist that you trust (even get a second opinion), try everything they offer, stay positve but realize there isn't an overnight solution- it can take 6 months to a year to see good results and always consider surgery a last resort.
Good luck to you-

Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 AM   #11
(female)

missree HB User

EKris3,sorry to hear about your problem too,once we start having medical problems it can create others,it's hard but hang in there.I'm having a hard time excepting that as you get older it it takes more time to heal.I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis for 8 months now,1 yr and a half ago,I slipped on water at work and hurt my back,(compressed L1 vertebra as a result),at that time I found out I had arthritis in my spine,and degenerative disk disease,now the problem with plantar fasciitis,and hip pain.It seems like it's never ending,but I try to hang in there,even tho it's frustrating.I will soon not have any insurance,but will go to a free clinic,that I went to before.I will see a Dr again and see what else can be done for me...Stacey Lynn, I'm glad to hear that the surgey did some good for you and that you are hopefully pain free..I want to thank everyone for their input,I will keep in touch.

Closed Thread