It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User
Unhappy Very swollen foot/toes, deep red/purple toes, (post-surgery) more pain...???

I had surgery on 11/11 - Lapidus procedure and Wiel Osteotomy of 2nd metatarsalgi, arthritis "clean-up", bunion shaved off, 4 pins/screws, 3 incisions. After about day 3, the foot was somewhat tolerable - really not too terribly bad - sore, of course, but improved over immediate post-op pain.

Now, starting on Saturday evening, it has started swelling a lot more - to the point where I had to remove some of the padding/dressing from my splint/half-cast thing, cuz it felt like my toes were getting the circulation cut off. I had stopped taking my Celebrex and advil, as doc told me I could take them for the first few days, but not after that (they can inhibit the fusion process at the 1st metatarsal joint). SOOooo, now it has been SOOooo swollen, painful (extremely!), toes are deep red/purple anytime I get up (they're a little better when I'm laying down, elevating foot), and I did *HAVE TO* start taking the Celebrex AND advil again, as that seems to be the only thing that helps it. (I do also have pain meds - strong ones, but they don't do as much for this pain as the anti-inflammatories do). I figured I'll just have to endure a scolding when I see him and tell him I HAD to take them, or I'd have been in the E.R. demanding that they cut my foot off.

SOoo, has anyone else had this extreme swelling that didn't start until a week after surgery? (I know the anti-inflammatories were keeping it down before) My pod is (of course! ) out of town for Thanksgiving, and so is my regular family doc. Should I go to "Urgent Care" (half-way between clinic and E.R. or see my family doc's partner? Should I just keep taking my celebrex, advils and pain-meds and wait till I see pod next Tuesday afternoon?? It seems that no one but him will know if this is normal or not, or if there's some problem (I don't remember doing any specific thing that may have hurt the foot)..... Any advice from you foot-surgery veterans? Is this something that can be normal?? (PLEASE say YES!!)

That's all the longer I can stay sitting here at 'puter - need to go elevate AGAIN

Thank you for any input/advice.

JD

The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest-JD For This Useful Post:
Swediemom (12-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

wtwct HB User
Re: Very swollen foot/toes, deep red/purple toes, (post-surgery) more pain...???

I know that if you have a joint replacement they say not to take anti-inflamm as this slows down the healing process. I don't know if this is true or not. When I had my tendons repaired, my foot swelled a week or so after. My toes did turn color. If it makes you feet better, go the the ER or quick care.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User
Re: Very swollen foot/toes, deep red/purple toes, (post-surgery) more pain...???

Hi JD, Sorry to hear you're having problems. Your doc must have someone covering for him even if he is out of town. My doc gave his cell phone number so he could be reached anytime...day or night...I actually called on Sunday as the pain meds weren't working as well as they should have. Try calling and just talking to someone. We are leaving early tomorrow morning for our VERY LONG drive vacation. My foot is slightly swollen today as I was up quite a bit. I hope it doesn't swell up while we are away. I had my half plaster/splint/padding thick thing removed on Monday and am wearing a short boot (NWB) and it's heavy! Way heavier than the temporary thing!!Stitches looked good. Incision was about 2 1/2 inches long. Have a followup appt. on Monday to have stitches removed and I'm not sure what at that point. Would rather have a fiberglass cast than this heavy boot!! The boot is so huge and I'm not supposed to remove it so I'm VERY limited in clothing selection. Too bad it's not shorts weather. The rest of my family will be skiing over Thanksgiving! Good luck and I hope you are doing better soon! Happy Thanksgiving...Sophie

Old 11-25-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
(male)

spal HB User

Hi JD

I'm sorry to hear about the problem wth swelling.

I had bunion surgery on the same day as you, in the UK. I had both feet done. They cut off the bunions, split the bone which leads to the big toe lengthways and realigned the top & bottom halves before fixing with 2 screws (Scarf Osteotomy). They also cut and screwed the big toe bone itself to improve alignment and released/ lengthened tendons each side of the toe.

I had no swelling initially; it wasn't until Monday that it started. Last week and the start of this week the swelling was quite uncomfortable, with pressure against the plaster. Now the swelling has all but gone and the bruising around the toes and ankle has disappeared. I'm finding I only have to elevate occasionally during the day now. I was on anti inflammetry drugs for the first 2 days but off all medication or pain-killers by day 3 - I think I have got away lightly. Your degree of swelling does sound unusually severe. I hope it gets better soon.

Si

The Following User Says Thank You to spal For This Useful Post:
Mjbar54 (07-13-2011)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Hi JD! Did you ever have any resolution to the foot swelling problem?? My appt. is tomorrow afternoon, I will let you know how it goes. I am still taking a percocet each night as that is when my foot is still so sore. The boot is SO heavy! I really hope I can have it switched to a fiberglass cast tomorrow. I know I won't be able to do the ankle exercises as early but that doesn't bother me. I wore a cast for 3 weeks in the summer and had no ankle issues afterward. My foot swells up sometimes but the weirdest thing is how my toes go numb if my foot is elevated for a long time. Even at night, I have to hang it over the edge of the bed to get feeling back in my toes. This "numb" period is also the most painful. Has anyone ever had that? Hoping to hear from you and to hear of your progress! Will get back tomorrow with details of my doctor visit. Sophie

Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User

Good Morning, Peoples!

Thank you for your replies. I'm still having problems with a LOT of swelling - it gets especially horrid at night, as it worsens as the day goes along, even though I'm spending *most* of the day in my recliner with foot elevated. I'm going to call my family doc today, but I do have an appointment with my podiatrist tomorrow (though we're in the middle of a snow~freezing-rain~and~ice-storm, so I'm not sure if my appointment will actually happen tomorrow or not - pod lives 50 miles away from town)... By the time I go to bed at night, my skin feels like it's about to split from the severe swelling in toes... :crying: (Forgot to mention I've also been continuing with ice-packs on foot/toes) I continue to take celebrex and advil, alternately, as without it the swelling is unbearable.... SOOooo.... after I talk to my doc I'll try to get back and post what he says... I have a feeling he's going to say, "This can be normal...."

Thanks again for your replies - nice to have someone to ask about this! Y'all are very helpful.

JD

PS - Forgot to add - I'm *supposed* to get my "real" cast tomorrow - I can't imagine how he could cast the foot when it's still swelling this much!

Last edited by Midwest-JD; 11-28-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

JD, Have you been putting the ice pack behind your knee? This is what I had been told (not at the foot) and it has worked tremendously to take the swelling down as well as making the pain MUCH LESS severe. (almost immediately after applying). I don't think the cold could be felt inside the boot or thick padding anyway. Have had this boot on for 1 week now and aside from it feeling tight at times, I can't really tell what is happening as the boot has a front and back and I CAN"T SEE MY TOES!! I'll let you know how I am after my doc visit this afternoon. It's really strange being alone ALL DAY with so little mobility. I can see what needs to be done..picked up...put away etc. but must be mellowing...it can just sit there for now! My whole body is tired from the crutches and my "good leg" has bruises at the side of the knee (not sure if it's related).

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 11-28-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User

Hey Sophie - Wow - I've never heard anything about putting ice pack behind knees! I will DEFINITELY give that a shot as soon as I'm done posting - ANYthing would be better than this swelling - I'm sure that the swelling is where 99 percent of my pain is coming from at this point - in the morning, before swelling starts, my foot-pain is very, very minor - it worsens as the day goes on, and seems directly correlated to the degree of swelling I'm having at the moment... So, I'm off to the freezer right now!! Thank you! I hope your appointment went well...?

JD

Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Yeah!! My appointment was great!! Had xrays (those 4 screws look awfully long with one plate). I love my doctor!! He said he did the incision so high up (Proximal) because he had a good look at the joint, cleaned it up but the cartilage looked great!! Now have nwb cast on until the end of December. They DIDN'T HAVE SHOCKING PINK but I got white and will put green Christmas trees all over it. JD....Good luck with your appointment tomorrow...hope the ice worked for you....keep in touch please...all of you are my lifelines!!! Trying to figure out how I will do my Christmas shopping and house decorating!! Going to do the ice thing now...and elevate!!

Closed Thread