It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
(male)

Tricks HB User
Broken Bunion

Hi ive searched the web for this and i thought maybe u guys can help me? Yesterday my wife drooped a heavy tool box on her bunion, which is fairly large anyway, and now it has swollen up to a huge size, is it possable she could have broken her bunion or fractured it? I havent found anything like this on the net and she is in lots of pain, but for some reason she wont go to the hospital as she is really embarressed by her bunions and doesnt want a fuss, she thinks its just bruised, can anyone help me?

P.S- Why are women so embarressed by there bunions, I didnt see her feet for the first six months of dating her!

Old 11-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

Cyclist HB User
Re: Broken Bunion

Oh what a wonderful, supportive husband you are! I, too, didn't want anyone to see the bunions on my feet. My husband also accepted me unconditionally . . . I was lucky to have him . . . and your wife is lucky to have you. Not everyone is so accepting. (Believe it or not, I've overheard some men talking about women's feet!)

A bunion, especially a serious one, is a deformity. Not many of us want to show that. But if you study the nature / definitions of bunions, you'll see that they involve bones and/or an inflammation of the bursa. Your wife may have bruised the joint, broken some bones, or who knows.

I finally overcame my reluctance to do something about my feet because I didn't want to jeopardize my active lifestyle as I get older.

I do hope your wife will take your advice and get the foot (and her bunions) checked by a podiatrist. Knowledge is power. Besides, the medical folks have seen it all. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
(male)

Tricks HB User

Thanks for replying cyclist,
My wife still wont go to the doc's even though she is agony she can't wear anthing barring her slippers on that foot, she hasn't gone to work today either, but her mum is comming round tonight and she listens to her more than she does to me! lol!
The embarrsing bunions thing, is quite cute I think, but she does take it to far, like i have to buy her bunion and corn pads from the chemists for her, she doesn't even want the chemist to know! lol! The thing that does annoy me though is that she still insits on wearing heels even thought they murder her and once she has broke them in, she won't wear them because the sides have bulged out! Go figure!
Maybe it has to do with her age (she's 28) and most bunion suffers as she puts it are grannys! Her words not mine!
Thanks again!

Old 11-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
(female)

Cyclist HB User

I'm almost (but not quite) twice her age ... and my bunions didn't start getting "bad" until about 10 years ago. Remind her that she'll be a "granny" before her time if she doesn't get them fixed. But in time, she'll probably figure that out on her own.

Getting bunions fixed does take quite a commitment and a lot of determination. Each of us has to decide whether it is worth it. At year's end, I will have spent over 4 months this year with a cast on one of my feet. I have just under 3 weeks to go before I can start walking on both feet again. Am I tired of this cast and having to hop, roll, and peg-leg around? Yes. Has it been worth it? You bet!

And before I close, I'll tell you something funny my husband once wrote to me ... He was listing why he loved me, and he said, "I love your King Kong, petite feet!" I laughed so hard I almost cried. I still have that piece of paper, and it is one of my favorite memories of him. Before then, I had been very sensitive about my feet. I'm almost 5'10" tall, and yes, I do have big (and newly improved) feet, and he loved me anyway. What a guy.

Take care and give your wife a hug!

Closed Thread