It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
(male)

MKULTRA HB User
Numbness or "dead" feeling in toes and foot...

I have had a lot of lower back pain over the last few months, and while the back pain has subsided a bit, about a week ago I started to get some numbness in my third fourth and fifth toes on my right foot. Over the last week it seems to have gotten worse, spreading throughout the right side and right bottom area of my foot. Also, the foot feels cold a lot of the time and sometimes I get a strange burning feeling in it, like it's coming out of being asleep.

I do have sensation in the toes (I can feel tickling or poking with a pin), but I have this weird, cold, "pins and needles" feeling going on. I went to the Doctor and he told me it could be from a pinched nerve (sciatic) and told me to keep taking advil for it. He said he wasn't worried about it and said he feels numbness in his toes from time to time.

I do have plantar fasciitis in my right foot, but I have never experienced this kind of feeling before. I also have fallen arches, if that has anything to do with it.

Can anyone let me know when I can expect this numbness feeling to go away? It's quite annoying and it's starting to worry me a bit.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
(female)

arras HB User
Re: Numbness or "dead" feeling in toes and foot...

Hi Mkultra

I can't answer your problem but I just thought I'd let you know that you aren't allone and I have experienced the same feelings. I too have flat feet (fallen arches), not sure about plantar fasciitis though! From time to time I experience a numbness in my foot and also a burning stretching feeling along the inside of my foot. I don't have back pain or anything but yours does sound like a trapped nerve, it doesn't explain mine though

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User
Re: Numbness or "dead" feeling in toes and foot...

Hi MKULTRA - I would first suggest seeing a dr. who doesn't blow off your concerns, and who will look into what might be causing that.

Because I've had disc problems (and two 3-level spinal fusions), I tend to think that it sounds more like a disc-pressing-on-nerve type issue, than anything that is actually happening *in* your foot.... (Of course there may be someone here who has knowledge of foot problem that could present like that!) In order to find out if it's related to nerve compression (in spine, from disc), you would need a lumbar MRI, as X-ray will not show that type of problem. Often, PT can be helpful, so if you find that it's a disc-issue, definitely ask your doc to refer you to PT.

Here is a link for a "dermatome chart" that can show what level disc *might possibly* be causing a problem like yours:

[url]http://www.aafp.org/afp/990201ap/575.html[/url]

(Scroll down a bit over half-way for the chart)

You might also want to ask this question on the "back problems" board here (if you haven't already)

Good luck!

JD

Last edited by Midwest-JD; 12-06-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Closed Thread