It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
(male)

KJR2 HB User
Slightly Sprained Ankle?

Two days ago, I stepped off a curb and twisted my left ankle. Since I twisted it, I've had minor pain when walking or moving my ankle around (Not enough to force me to limp but it's a noticeable pain.) and it looks slightly bigger than my right ankle. Is it minorly sprained and should I do anything like wrapping it or something?

Old 12-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

Midwest-JD HB User
Re: Slightly Sprained Ankle?

I would probably ice it, if you haven't already - with injuries like that, putting ice on it frequently during the first 24 hours will help reduce swelling (and thus minimize pain). After that, if ice feels good, continue with that, if it doesn't, then go ahead and try heating pad. I'd also take some advil, to help with pain and inflamation. You can also take tylenol at the same time as advil if the pain is really bugging you. Then, try to stay off the ankle as much as possible for the next couple days, so it can heal a bit quicker. If it keeps bothering for more than 3-4 days, or if it seems to get worse, I'd probably check with doctor.

I keep 3-4 of those nice gel-type re-useable ice-packs in my feezer at all times (have done that ever since I had kids!) and I use them daily, on either my back or my foot, and they really help my pain levels go down for a bit.

If you have an ace bandage, you might want to wrap the ankle just to give it a bit of extra support until it feels like it's back to normal.

Good luck!
JD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
(male)

KJR2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest-JD
I would probably ice it, if you haven't already - with injuries like that, putting ice on it frequently during the first 24 hours will help reduce swelling (and thus minimize pain). After that, if ice feels good, continue with that, if it doesn't, then go ahead and try heating pad. I'd also take some advil, to help with pain and inflamation. You can also take tylenol at the same time as advil if the pain is really bugging you. Then, try to stay off the ankle as much as possible for the next couple days, so it can heal a bit quicker. If it keeps bothering for more than 3-4 days, or if it seems to get worse, I'd probably check with doctor.

I keep 3-4 of those nice gel-type re-useable ice-packs in my feezer at all times (have done that ever since I had kids!) and I use them daily, on either my back or my foot, and they really help my pain levels go down for a bit.

If you have an ace bandage, you might want to wrap the ankle just to give it a bit of extra support until it feels like it's back to normal.

Good luck!
JD
So you think it is sprained? It was hurting the same today as yesterday so I put some ice on it and that helped.

I don't have an ace bandage around but I've read that duct tape works for wrapping injuries like this. Could I use that?

And should I use crutches? It doesn't hurt enough for me to limp or for my walking to be effected but if I need to stay off it, should I use them?

Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Don't use duct tape. It could cause the circulation to your foot to be cut off with the swelling, and it could also cause some major skin issues. You can get an elastic bandage at the drug store or grocery store for a few dollars. Always wrap from the toes upwards, and make sure it's not too tight. If you can walk on it without too much pain, there isn't much need for crutches. Elevating it is good for swelling, so do this when you are sitting down, and ice will help too.

But mostly just take it easy until it feels better.

Closed Thread