It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 04:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User
Foot Splinter - How to remove

This is a toughy! I walked outside barefoot and received a splinter that I couldn't see. Try as I might, I couldn't get it out. It healed over and left a ball that is really sore. First time, I poked and drained it. But, it came back. Next, I've been soaking it in soapy, salt water. It gets itchy and sore so I tried cortisone, which helps a little. The thing won't go away and it has been 3 weeks. It keeps me from sleeping sometimes. The skin is growing over the bump, so I don't know if I should break it open or leave it. It's really sore! Advice? Should I just go to the doctor? Being pregnant, I don't think they can use local anesthetics on me! Thanks.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

seashell1 HB User
Re: Foot Splinter - How to remove

Grease it out. One traditional technique for removing splinters is to smear on a little bit of bacon fat and then cover it with an adhesive strip.
In a day or two, the splinters will often be gone. Bacon fat contains a lot of salt, which draws moisture from the skin and which may draw the splinter out as well.
Apply a little ice. To quickly ease the pain of a splinters, apply an ice cube for a few minutes. This will help numb the area, making the splinter easier to remove.
Spray on some relief. Another way to numb the pain is to give a spritz with an over the counter first aid spray. As a bonus, these sprays will helps disinfect the area so that it's less likely to get infected.
To retrieve any residual pieces of wood, cover a cotton swab or piece of gauze with household glue and place in on the skin. Let the glue dry, and then remove the gauze. The splinter should come out.
Use the right tweezers. It's not always easy to get a grip on a splinter with tweezers. You'll have better success if you use tweezers that have ridges or grooves on the end, which will improve with little rubbing alcohol. Grab the splinter as close to skin as possible and pull firmly. Do your best to remove the splinter at the same angle as it entered the skin, which will helps prevent it from breaking off inside. When you're done, swab a little rubbing alcohol on the skin to disinfect it, or at least wash the area well with soap and water.
If this doesn't help, it would be best to see your Dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Well, the skin grew over it, so I would have to literally dig in to get it out. It wasn't even visible, so I wouldn't even know where to dig.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

NYCGal00 HB User

See a doctor!! Why let a little splinter grow into a full infection? Don't let these be one of those should have's but didn't kind of situations...

Feel better!

Closed Thread