It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question Can Soda's cause Edema in the feet?

I am STILL having foot problems..and I showed my doctor..and I think that I may have to get another doc's opinion...because he just said that I was fat..basically as he implied to me...I went to ask him about the pain on the sides of my feet(near the side of the ankle) and it is very tender there...and they occasionally swell up, as they have now.....I even take lasix for the water retention..but, it hasn't been getting rid of the water...what could be causing this? I don't think that it has alot to do with my weight problem...as my feet do stop swelling and then my feetl look perfectly normal to me,again, which I think that this whole water thing is very odd!

I also wanted to know, if Soda can cause feet or body parts to "bloat" up like a balloon?
I already know that salt can do it, are there any other foods that I should NOT eating because of this bloating? Just curious...

P.S. Does anybody have any problems like this with their feet?
This is driving me nuts,and I am consistantly worrying about this!
I have had this, ever since I went thru my first kidney stone...now I have been wondering , if I might be "giving birth" to another one? I REALLY don't want to go thru another one, trust me!

Help!!! !

Nightowl2

Last edited by nightowl2; 03-21-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Can Soda's cause Edema in the feet?

Don't you love Docs that blame everything just because you are "fat." It is not always the case and sometimes can make things harder to diagnose or cure. They need to work with you and not against you - maybe you need a different doctor.

Anyway in regards to soda, if you have had a kidney stone in the past, you ought to be drinking water and plenty of it. The water helps keep you things moving through the kidneys so you don't form another stone. You don't mention what kind of soda you are drinking and how much a day you drink. Water is better for your body for a multitude of reasons and weaning off of caffeine can be a bear. I retain less fluid drinking water then when I drink soda. Try it for a month, what do you have to lose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Arrow Regarding soda....

I actually have been working on drinking a lot more water...I do love water!
But, every now and then...a week here and or there, I have a diet coke, or a diet pepsi or regular pepsi....I especially love pepsi and or Coke with the lime,and or vanilla.
Also, I am a serious Sierra Mist person..but, I drink either more coffee, or more bottled water either with berry /strawberry flavoring, or just plain water.
I am starting to try to drink up alot more water..and trying to not drink too much coffee...I can usually tell when my body can't "handle" the caffeine...I start feeling nausea..alot! I also end up with "the runs"..which is lousy!
SO, I really, really have to be more careful..and I end up taking breaks from anything with chocolate or coffee in it.
I also drink herb teas..which I collect and absolutely love!
I also ocassionally drink Japanese Green Tea, also Chinese white and green teas,and sometimes Chai's (caffeine...but, not as much as I used to )and a few other black teas..but more herbal teas..as I love the taste,and that they are so not only delicious but, good for me!

Celestial Seasonings are one the the great teas that I really enjoy.
The Apple Cinnamon is really, really delish'! I am normally not into that flavour, but, my fiance' bought it,and I tried it out,and yum! It's good!

nightowl2

Last edited by nightowl2; 03-22-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Can Soda's cause Edema in the feet?

Does your doctor want to increase your Lasix? Do you have a heart condition? I'm asking, because my mom has one and sometimes her ankles used to swell. Salt is a big no no for water retention. I know it's hard to live without, but there are many good seasonings on the market today.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question Re: Can Soda's cause Edema in the feet?

I am only taking the lasix if I really really need it...this is what my doctor said for me to do....the other day I was with my fiance' and we were walking around Ikea...and my God! My feet were swollen again! I hate putting on the tennis shoes, with swollen feet!!! I feel like my feet are going to literally POP!..and my legs also!

I get pain in my legs...from walking around..with painful "fat feet"...the trust me, I have taken the lasix, and it stopped working for me....I think that what I am doing isn't exactly helping or healthy....I like to sit for hours at a computer...and after I have sat there for hours,and I get up, my feet are swollen....to a T!!! They are painful on the sides of the feet, (that part I also do not get....is it fibromyalgia or what is it that causes so much pain?? or what could it possibly be? ...even painful to the touch! )I swear that my doctor said it's because I am fat! But, I do not believe that this is the ONLY cause for this type of pain...I just do not think this is the only other reason...there just has to be SOME explanation...because I have had weight on me before...and I haven't had this much foot problems....**
I was also not only walking around and around in the Ikea store, but, I also had to roll a cart that did NOT want to go where I wanted to go....plus I was carrying a lot of heavy things on top of it,and on top of that...I was trying to help lift heavy boxes from the warehouse section of the store and believe me, we DID have boxes! (Three carts full of heavy duty boxes of furniture!!!)
I had to sit down....(My fiance' must have been in pain...because he has a genetic disorder that he was born with.....his back is "literally crumbling" inside of his body! and then on top of that...my feet and legs felt like I had squeezed my huge feet inside of tiny tennis shoes, only to torture myself all evening, by walking around and lifting boxes all night long,and trying to steer those ridiculous carts around the store, without crashing into a person or a huge shelf!

** what I would like to know is...would it be possible to have water retention if A. I went thru kidney stones once before, and this is what started it all for me...so could it be a malfuntion of my kidneys...and or
B. gallbladder (I had it taken out a couple of years ago...) so can this reaffect me...somehow...I know that I can never have an attack of gall stones...I understand that! But, the fat feet thing..would it have anything to do with say the gall bladder being removed? or
my kidneys?

What would you all think?

nightowl2

Closed Thread