It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Excruciating pain in 4th toe

Every few months/years I get this sudden onset of just intense pain shooting through my 4th toe on my left foot. It is perfectly fine when resting or with no weight on it, and I've even tried many times to poke and press and push it while not standing on it to see where it hurts, but nothing. However, when I put weight on it when standing or walking, it is so painful I literally fall over.

The very first time it ever happened was when I was about 20 (7 years ago) and I was on a train. I got up to get off the train, walked to the door as normal, opened it and stepped out onto the platform, and when I stepped down onto this foot, I had to sit down on the ground in front of everyone (who looked at me very strangely) as my toe was so painful.

I then had to try and walk around with my weight completely on the big toe side of my foot for about 5 days, (which was very painful for my foot, as it felt constantly twisted and strained around the arch of the foot) and after this time, if I forgot and put weight on the toe/foot, it would send a strange tingling almost painful numbness but no real pain. A few days later, it was fine and back to normal again.

I have no idea what this is. It's happened numerous times, all very sudden and then vanishing again within a week. I cannot put ANY weight on the toe at ALL when it's happening though. Several times if I was sitting or lying on my bed and then got up to do something, I'd completely forget the toe and go to walk and then actually collapse straight to the ground, gasping in pain and clutching the now burning and tingling toe.

Any help!? (it's not broken. I've had a broken toe before and it's not as bad as this)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Excruciating pain in 4th toe

Definitly sounds like a neuroma...

Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

What's a neuroma?!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Wait, I've looked it up and to a certain extent it does sound like this is what it is, however I don't have any of the factors that might bring it on, and thus I can't do anything to prevent episodes recurring.

I am not overweight at all (am very slim and light), and basically have never worn high heels or very narrow shoes as my toes are clawed and cannot keep backless shoes or a lot of "fancy" shoes on my feet.

Also, the info I looked at said they don't go away, whereas mine has gone away. It is usually only for a week maybe once a year or so that it's there. And it says when the doctor examines the area, it should show the pain, but it doesn't for me. Only when I stand or walk is it painful, and then I cannot stand or walk on the toe at ALL.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Before i had my neuroma removed. it only hurt occasionally, not all the time...im not overweight either..and i never wear high heels...oh well!!

Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

hey jules i just found out ive got neuroma on my left foot as well. have an appt with an ortho doc , i believe its going to be for cortisone shots (thats what my rhuemi is sending me for). did the shots hurt and how many did you get before they decided surgery was best? can you tell me more about this please?
thanks
jen

Old 06-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

jen, its along story. i never did get cortisone shots..just had the surgery. i will be brief, i had a bunionectomy, proceeded to get a bone infection and needed 2 additional surgeries..the 3rd surgery was to debride the bone so, since the neuroma was causing alot of pain,my doc just took it out at that time..the cut was very tiny and was in between my toes on the top of my foot..it was no big deal at all,and no more neuroma pain. i should tell you that the nueroma was totally unrelated to the bunionectomy...

Closed Thread