It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

keithp HB User
I walk sideways down the stairs.

When I walk down the stairs my feet turn to the left, so I cant walk down the stairs normally. Because of this many people have tripped over my feet in school or in the mall. I also dont like heights. When I walk up or down the stairs I must hold onto the banister, I cant walk without it. If I Must go up a large flight of stairs and it has no banister, i would have to walk up on my hands and feet (thankfully i never had to) If I have to go downstairs without a banister, I slide down on my rear-end and feet (I have had to do this at family members houses, and it was embarrasing) I have tried walking without holding onto a banister going downstairs and I almost slip on the steps, and going up I almost trip over my own feet, so i'm unable to walk down without holding onto anything. My foot also turns while i'm driving, so sometimes i'm pressing the gas and break at the same time, I have had to have my breaks fixed 5 times within 3 years. Why cant I walk straight?

Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: I walk sideways down the stairs.

How old are you? The description you have provided sounds like someone who has not grown into their own feet quite yet. Also it sounds like you have some anxiety issues with heights and stairs.

Now you say your feet turn when driving and going up and down stairs, what about general walking? If this is a everyday walking occurance, have you ever discussed it with your doctor? If you are having difficulty with stairs, I suggest you practice going up and down them more frequently, look at them as something to conquer. Start by using the handrails and then wean yourself off of depending on handrails.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
(male)

keithp HB User

I am a male and 20 years old. I have a size 12 shoe. Yes they turn when i'm driving, I dont even realize i'm doing it. When I walk my feet are fine and straight. When I was young I was a late walker, and in Elementary school I went to an Occupational therapist for 4 or 5 years. It didnt do much, since I still walk sideways down the stairs, and i cant catch a ball very good. I have ADHD, so they said my motor skills are a little off, mabye that could be the reason? I did notice the 4th toe on my right foot is bent to the left, so it's a little under my 3rd toe, and it's shorter than the normal toe on my left foot, this could make my foot turn perhaps? I have not talked to a doctor about it yet.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You definitely need to see a doctor about your feet. As for ths stairs issue, I'm the same way. I have a horrid fear of heights and stairs without a handrail drive me nuts.
Balconies -ooh! Bridges - yikes!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Kieth,
I have a vertigo response to stairs and heights, but not the same physical response. You really do need to see your doctor, and probably get a referral to an OS and/or a neurologist. It could be an unconscious response to a physical deformity, or a neuro-motor problem, definitely something I'd want to find help for! Good luck! Kim

Old 06-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
(female)

lindeelouky HB User

I have a similar problem with going up and down stairs, I don't have to hold on but if I didn't I would go very, very slow. I have to watch my feet with each step up and especially each step down. If I do not look at my foot when I am doing this, I will always trip up. I think it's amazing how some people look up or around while they are walking up or down stairs.
I did ask my doctor and she thought it was nothing.
I used to fall UP stairs as a kid and had skinned knees all the time.

Closed Thread