It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
(male)

Warrior313 HB User
Severely sprained ankle

I stepped in a pothole in the yard today and twisted my ankle. I have weak ankles and I've sprained them a lot in the past but it was never too serious. After I twisted it today though, it's swelled up on the side to the size of a baseball and I can barely put weight on it. When I do put weight on it, it hurts badly. All I've been able to do is sit around with ice on my ankle. Even though I've been icing and resting it, the swelling is about the same and the pain is still just as bad. Could I have a torn ligament or something? Should I go to the doctor or will it get better on it's own?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User
Re: Severely sprained ankle

Warrior~
Please, go to a doctor asap! Yes, you could have severely stretched, or torn a ligament, but you might also have fractured bone. Take it from one who messed up a foot by avoiding the Docs, and don't mess with self-treating!!! If your Doc can't see you, go to ER. You'll likely be sent around to a hospital anyway for x-rays. I wish you luck. Post and let us know how it goes for you! Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Do go and get it checked out. If it looks as bad as you describe, you may have done more damage than you suspect. Post back after you get it checked out and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
(male)

Warrior313 HB User

Ok, it's just as bad today. My whole foot is swollen now and there's bruising around my ankle. I can't put any weight on it so I'm just laying around. I made an appointment for my doctor tomorrow but my friends think I should go to the hospital for it today because it could be broken. I really don't want to but if it's broken... Should I wait to see my doctor tomorrow or go to the hospital today?

Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

I'd go. ED has all the imaging equipment and can tell you immediately if it's fractured and refer you to an OS. Your GP would have to refer you anyway, if it's anything more serious than a simple sprain. Up to you. I'm glad you're going, and will watch to see what happens. Good luck. Kim

Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
(male)

Warrior313 HB User

I ended up going to the hospital. They took some X-rays and some other tests on it. Luckily, the X-rays showed that there wasn't a fracture. Unfortunately, it's a grade 3 sprain with a completely torn ligament which is why I've been unable to put any weight on it. He gave me a walking cast, one of those big black boots with velcro straps. It's removable but I'm only allowed to take it off to ice my ankle and when I go to bed at night so I can keep the ligament immobilized. I'm still going to see my GP tomorrow so maybe he'll have different plans for it but for the time being I have to keep my foot immobilized for three weeks and then have a follow-up.

Has anybody else had a similar injury? If so, how did yours turn out? And am I supposed to wear a sock with this kind of cast? It feels a little thick with one.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

There's so many different versions of these boots. My aircast came with a sock to wick away moisture (sweat) from the skin and my cam walker had a seperate liner that I had to put on first that also wicked away moisture. With this current air-splint I have to wear a moisture absorbable sock. My guess is that you will want to wear something if nothing was provided.

-eko.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Warrior,
I'm glad to hear there's no fracture, and sorry to hear you have the tear. Do everything your Doc tells you to do, and keep us posted on how you're doing! Best of luck, Kim

Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I had a severly sprained ankle awhile ago.

At first,I was told to wear a gel splint and use crutches,then just a regular brace for awhile.It didn't get any better,so I went to a sports doc who prescribed PT,it still didn't get better so I got an MRI which showed unresolved ligament damage as well as bruising on the talar dome.I was put into a walking boot for 4 weeks,which didn't help,and then just a week and a half ago I got a cortisone injection which has helped immesely.

I always wore a sock with the boot mostly because there was velcro on the inside that irritated my skin,but it also helps absorb sweat so the boot doesn't get as smelly.I wish you luck.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
(male)

Warrior313 HB User

I visited my regular GP today for my scheduled appointment. He looked at it and agreed with the ER doctor. I had been having pain when walking, even with the boot, so he gave me a pair of crutches to use until I could walk on it without pain. It looks really bad right now. I've got black and blue spots all around the side of my foot and it's not even visible where my calf ends and my foot starts. The doctor said it's normal to have that after this serious of a sprain but I was pretty worried when I first got up this morning and saw it like that. I also asked about the sock thing and he said I could wear it with or without one. I can't really decide right now. I don't want it to start to stink but like I said, it feels really tight with a sock. I'm also sort of self-conscious about my toes showing in the front of it. I was thinking about trying one of those thin nylon socks because it would cover my toes and wick away moisture but wouldn't be as thick as a regular sock.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Thin socks are good...And if a regular sock makes it too tight,just loosen it a bit.I know that I had to play around with mine to get it in just the right position.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
(male)

Warrior313 HB User

Just want to update, I'm now walking with the boot without crutches. I've still got a long way to go in the healing process but I'm walking without pain now.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Glad to hear that you are making progress - congrats!

Last edited by eko; 06-22-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

warrior,
I'm glad to hear it's getting better. I just got the boot, and the liner isn't really washable, (hand wash, flat dry only because of the bladders, I guess), and I only have one. So I'm using a liner that came with my cast cover, and planning to ask for more when I go back. Ask your doc for some cast liners. They are soft, thin, and stretch! Keep up the good work! Kim

Old 06-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
(female)

KathJack HB User

Kim, does the fact that you "got the boot" mean that your cast was removed? If so, congratulations! And to you too, Warrior, on your progress.

Closed Thread