It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

blakemall HB User
Talar dome fracture/Osteochondral defect

Hi:

I am new to this board and was looking for some input. I sprained my ankle badly about 4 years ago when i stepped into a hole. At the time I was told that it was just a sprain and I had no further problems. Last March, I started having sharp pains in my ankle joint. I went to my doctor who did an x-ray and said there was nothing on x-ray that showed any problems.

Meanwhile...the pain kept getting worse and worse. I started having popping and locking of my ankle that was causing me to fall. Finally my doctor referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon who did an MRI. The MRI showed that I had a talar dome fracture/OCD defect. I spent 6 weeks in a walking boot, which did nothing.

when I came out of the boot...the pain was worse than ever. Ten days ago I underwent an ankle arthroscopy with debridement and drilling. I had an appointment yesterday for my first follow up. My doctor removed my cast and stitches. I have very little swelling or bruising. I am to remain 3 more weeks NWB, but he gave me nothing to support my ankle. I am so paranoid of hitting it as it is very painful when I move it. I am to start moving it up and down only...not side to side. So far I have not been able to move it at all.

Can anyone give me some of their experiences of post arthroscopy and what I can expect?

Thanks...

Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Talar dome fracture/Osteochondral defect

Welcome to the OCD Club, sorry you had join us here. I am 11 weeks post-op from arthroscopic surgery with the drilling. I am surprised your Dr. did not give you anything to support your ankle. I was 6 weeks NWB, with limited movement the final four weeks, during that time I was in an air cast. After the six weeks I went PWB to FWB with a air cast stirrup splint.

Don't worry about moving it all at this point, initially my movement was very small and gradually improved. You have some swelling in the joint which is making it more difficult, just keep trying. If after several days you are still unable to move it, call your Dr. I still can't believe he didn't give you anything to protect your ankle, especially since they do not want the side to side movement - hmmmmmm.

You can read about my experience under a post called Osteochondral Fracture. I just started PT today, so I posted a short update.

Sorry you had to join on, but feel free to ask questions, share advice or just vent along the way, that is what we are here for.

-eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
(female)

blakemall HB User

Hi Eko:

Thanks for responding. By the way my name is Lisa...

Before my surgery I was told that I would be six weeks NWB, which is still the case. I was just so shocked when they took off my cast from surgery that I left with nothing on my foot at all. THey took out the stitches and put on steri-strips and encouraged me to move it up and down only.

Last night any movement at all sent me through the roof. It was the same familiar pain as before the surgery...the grinding of bones...

I ended up wrapping it in an ACE bandage to try to give it some support. I did not sleep at all last night because I was so afraid that my husband would kick me or I would get it caught in the covers.

the other problem that I am experiencing is that I have a lot of numbness across the top of my foot. when my foot came out of the cast that is where I had the most swelling was across the top. Is this normal?

I go back in 3 weeks to my OS and then he said he would start me in PT.

I am so tired of dealing with this ankle...it has totally upset my life for the past year and a half and I need this to be the end...

Lisa

Old 07-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Lisa,

If the surgeon, which he probably did, used a distraction device to help widen the joint, yeah, you'll have the swelling, numbness and maybe stiffness on the top of your foot. What they do is put your leg in a brace to hold it, then a band around the top of your foot and pull down on it, opening up the ankle joint. The top of my foot was sore and stiff, it hurt to wiggle my toes. So, it is okay to wiggle your toes and flex your foot up and down. I actually found massaging the top of my foot really helped.

The purpose of flexing the foot is to help shape the fibro-cartilage, just do what you can. A little moist heat will also help loosen up tight tendons and muscles.

I can so relate to being tired of dealing with an ankle, I am at a year with this injury, but had a long run of issues before and after my Brostrom repair in 2003, same darn ankle.

Maybe you should call your Dr's office and ask if there is anything you can do to help protect your ankle. I understand the husband and cover issue totally, than I add to mine kids and pets. I'd also be worried about falling or accidently bumping it or something like that. Nothing wrong in calling and asking - it is your foot, have to protect it somehow. I just can't believe they didn't give you something.

Let us know how you are doing.

Sending you healing thoughts -Ellen

Last edited by eko; 07-11-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

blakemall HB User

Ellen:

Thanks for your encouraging words. I wish I had found this site long before now. Finally someone who understands...it is hard to explain to people who have no idea what number one you are talking about and trying to explain the level of pain...they just don't get it...

I am going to call my Dr...I have to get some sleep and be able to be functional...I don't feel like I am now...I have laid on my couch all day only getting up to go to the bathroom because I am afraid of hitting my foot...I too have two kids, three cats and a new bassett hound puppy who is all play.

Thanks again..
Lisa

Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #6

igel44 HB User

I had ankle athroscopy for an OCD after two years of dealing with an ankle injury from basketball.

Don't worry about the lack of movement right out of the cast. At my 1st post-op appointment I had couldn't get my ankle to move until the doctor pushed my foot down. It gets better with some work and patience.

I understand your fear of having your foot unprotected. I was in a boot the entire time I was NWB but was told the last week I could take the boot off to sleep or around the house. The first few nights I still slept with the boot on and was scared to move around the house because my foot felt so vulnerable without the protection. I did have to wear the boot whenever I went out because the doctor wanted to make sure my ankle was protected.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Hi Lisa and welcome to the club - with ten surgeries you get one free! {feeble attempt at humor}

Sorry things aren't going as you had hoped. Bum foot, kids, pets. Anyone notice a trend here? OT: my dog thought the velcro straps on my 1st boot were a giant tug toy (I don't bounce)

It sounds a bit odd he didn't give you something for your foot. Most take you from cast/splint right into a boot and then eventually a brace. Maybe a nurse forgot to give it to you? If not, then call and tell them you are having trouble like with things hitting it and making it go 'side to side'. Those are magic bad words after OCD. If all else fails you could purchase one for your own peace of mind.

I like reading the different folks' views - some recovered a while back, some 1/2 way thru rehab, some starting PT or are just post op and me; 9 days and counting to the big dig. I'll make a deal with everyone - you guys make mistakes and I will learn from them! ha ha

Take care and we look forward to your posts!
jane

Old 07-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
(female)

blakemall HB User

Hi:

Thanks for your post...it is nice to have people to talk to that have experienced the same thing that I have been going through. Since my last post nothing really has changed.

I did call my doctor about something to support my foot and he told me that I could use one of my splints from early on, but that he wanted my ankle joint to stay moving. He said that that would help to mold the new growth in my joint from the drilling, which makes sense to me.

I did pull out an old Aircast splint and I have been wearing it when I am up and at night. I feel so much better to have it protected. It is feeling quite good with the exception of the stiffness and intense pain when I bend it too much. My incisions have healed quite nicely and I don't think are going to leave much of a scar(yeah).

I do have one other concern and that is that I have had catching in the back of my ankle around my achilles tendon. I have never had any problem with that before...hopefully this is not a bad sign. I am going to give it a few more days and if it continues I will call my doctor.

Hope all is good with you..

Lisa

Old 07-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Your Dr. is right about molding the new growth from the drilling. My Dr. wanted me flexing that ankle every waking hour 12 times. I am glad you found an old aircast to help protect your ankle. Don't push your ankle to hard in flexing it, you just need to move it back and forth gently.

Take care!
-Ellen

Old 07-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #10

spacey_11 HB User

I had an OCD repair two years ago. I experienced a catching pain in my achilles after surgery, and was told I had tendonitis and tendonosis from a sudden increase of movement after the surgery. It cleared up on its own after a while... just took some time. Im glad to hear you have a little protection now. I was in a hard cast for five weeks after surgery, but I also had a bronstrom repair for ankle instability. I would have definately felt vulnerable with nothing on the ankle. hope things are going well for you!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
(female)

blakemall HB User

Nothing new going on here really except my family took a little trip down to Savannah, Ga. My husband had to go on a business trip so he suggested that the kids and I go along for a change of scenery. Great idea!!! I can just as easily sit in a hotel room than I can at home...the kids have played in the pool and we have played a lot of cards. It has been nice.

I have had a lot more pain in my foot than I have been having...but I guess that is because I have been up and about more than I usually am at home. We were at the pool yesterday and it started to rain...going back to the hotel room...the sidewalks were wet and my crutch slipped out from underneath me and I about busted my butt...before I knew it I slammed my right foot/bad foot down to catch my balance. I am to tell you that that hurt. Since that I have had a lot of swelling in my foot and pain. I hope it settles down today and hope I didn't do any damage.

That's about it for me...oh yeah...my work has been calling me desperate wanting me to know when I am coming back to work. I seriouslyl thought about trying it...;but my doctor said NO. I am supposed to go back to my doctor on the 31st and that will be 4 weeks post surgery. He said I could possibly go back then, but only if i were able to start PT and partial weight bearing. So we will have to see and my work will just have to deal with it...that is what FMLA is for right????

Hope everyone is well..
Lisa

Old 07-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Hope you did nothing bad to the foot - probably just insulted it with your unexpected bump on the rump. Glad you had a good time in GA - was the car trip hard on you? I ask because I have a meting to attend 5 days post surgery and it is about 3 hours each way.

Slightly OT- have any of you noticed an increase in swelling and/or pain with all the heat? Since this heat snap has hit my foot is back to swelling up quite a fair bit regardless of elevated or not. My husband thought it might bebecause of the heat which makes sense since nothing else is different.

jane

Old 07-18-2006, 05:49 AM   #13
(female)

blakemall HB User

Hi Jane;

The car ride actuallyl wasn't that bad...I sat in the back of my husband's SUV and propped my foot up on a couple of pillows. It was a 5 hour drive from our home...we live near Atlanta, Ga. The only problem I had was my back hurt a little becuase I was sitting sideways in the seat...other than that the foot was okay.

Now for the heat...well that's a different story. In Savannah, Ga...that is at the coast...it is 100 degrees and they are famous for the humidity here. It is actually a sauna outside and just going from the hotel room to the car I am covered in glistening sweat. It is horrible. We are still in Savannah and are going home tomorrow morning...our first day here my ankle swelled up bigger than it was even right after my surgery. So I am sure that the heat plays a big factor. My ankle is still swollen pretty big and hurt a lot...I suspect that is from trying to catch myself from falliing yesterday...I slammed it down pretty hard...and no I didn't have anything on it to protect it...we were coming back from the pool.

Stay in the cool and stay cool...

Lisa

Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Same here in Va. Beach - It feels like a giant slap in the face once you walk outside. My AC is strugling and even my dog doesn't want to go outside to do his daily "duties". It is so stiffling there aren't even many birds flitting about until evening.

You mean your foot was naked? I think I would call the doc when I got home just to be safe. You don't want to run the risk of messing it up unknowingly. Perhaps they can check it out just to be sure all is ok. Especially since you had the OCD's worked on. No more pool decks for you, okay?

Eegads - it hurts me just thinking about it! Sending you a giant e-aspirin

Old 07-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
(female)

blakemall HB User

Hey Ho:

No more pool decks...yeah right. I have been back to the pool today, but I wheelchaired it. No more crutches on the pool deck...lesson more than learned.

We are heading home tomorrow a.m. and I think I will call my doc...I would hate to think that I would go through all this and find out 6 weeks from now that I had screwed it up in week two.

As far as unprotected...you know he sent me home 10 days from surgery at a post op visit...no cast and no brace no nothing. I had had an old air cast splint that I had on my foot on the way to the pool. I took it off because I was goingto get into the water and that is when I slipped. Having said that the water sure felt good...I just floated along without a care in the world.

Sending you a big snow blizzard to Virginia with good wishes to boot!!!!

Lisa

Closed Thread