It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

Beekermlady HB User
Questions..

Okay, everyone.

My next appointment with my OS is this Thursday. I am very excited as I believe that I have fulfilled his orders. I am a little bit worried because at the end of the day my foot is still very achy, and it gets swollen. But on the brightside, I took my first step today with absolutely no pain!

I, personally, think that I am getting better as everyday goes by but my family begs to differ. My mom seems to think that I am at a stand still, at a very bad point. She tells me that I limp and that I walk with my foot out to the side like a penguin. My great-uncle was teasing me this weekend and everytime my foot went to the side he would yell, 'walk straight!' Curious to see what they are talking about I look down when I am walking, of course my foot is going straight everytime I look down! But I can't walk around forever with my head down can I?

For womanly reasons, I have not been in the pool for a few days. With the mix of bad weather and my horrible cycle I haven't been in for about a week. I am concerned only because I think if I tell my doc this he will think that I am slacking. My range of motion (up and down) has improved, but is still a ways off from my good foot. I have walked several times the .55 miles from my house to my boyfriend's house. It feels better and better, emotionally, each time I do it. I have also taken greatly to cleaning! Ever since I have been able to sucessfully carry cleaning supplies and laundry around I have been cleaning. My mother, and my boyfriend (depending on what house I stay at) appreciate it!

Anyways, moving on... I really want to be sure about everything, as I believe this is going to be my last appointment with my OS, so I am trying to compile a list of questions to ask him. Right now, I have the basics. How long should I be walking for? Is is normal for my legs to be so tired? When will I be able to drive? work? walk the dog? Oh, yes...and JUMP, because that is what a friend of the family's 5 yr old daughter, who loves sleeping over my house, insists that I ask! I know there are like a billion other questions I want to ask him, but I always seem to forget! I even thought of one really good question before I went to sleep last night, and when I woke up this morning I forgot what it was! I should keep around paper to jot down my questions. Anyway, the standard questions about PT will apply, if he tells me that I need PT, but I need some other questions.. anyone have any for me? The simplest questions will do, I really want to know EVERYTHING, if this is my last appointment with him.

Well, I am headed off to sleep! Thanks bunches!

xoxox
-Britt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 06:19 AM   #2
(female)

Prin HB User
Re: Questions..

Britt,
It sounds to me like you're making fine progress! Never mind what others say, it's not their foot. The 10th was 5 months for me, and I still limp when I don't think about walking. I still try to not put the big toe joint down on the floor when I'm barefoot. Just encourag yourself each timeyou can do a little more. The big thing for me was that each day, don't do less, do just a bit more. Forward, one step at a time (ha ha).
You should probably keep a notebook for your questions, and to write the answers too. I'd tell the Dr. why you weren't in the pool. Being a Dr., he should be able to handle the real truth, better than him misunderstanding and criticizing. Cindy

Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Britt,
You are doing awesome! Don't let your family or your surgeon discourage you. You will have good days when you think you can conquer the world, and bad ones when you are lucky to be up fogging mirrors, we all do. It sure sounds like you're ready for pt, and if you're tending to revert to altered gait, you need it. They will help you acquire a natural gait without limping... Girl, you are progressing, and I want you to be proud!!! Sorry I don't have answers to the timing, I wonder the same thing myself. Noted in grocer's on Monday that I can walk about half an hour before I start wearing down and getting a little achy, but I still can't stand still for more than a moment or 2 before I'm in abject misery. I want it all, NOW!!! Well, take care, and post again soon. I'm praying for you. Kim

Old 08-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Britt,
I questioned the pt assistant today, specifically how long before I'd be able to stand hours on end without agaony, which is what I need to go back to work, and she said it could be a few weeks or a couple months at the outside, given how weak my feet are. Yes, feet. Walking, my rt gets tired and sore, but standing, or even weaving, my left suffers every bit as much. With your issues being different, this may not help much, but also depends on what your job entails as well. Definitely ask your doc about pt, even if he doesn't bring it up, it will give you a much better idea of what to work on, and they will help you stop limping. Try to walk as naturally as you can, but don't get too discouraged, it really does take time!!! Take care, and let me know how you do!!! Kim

Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

Hey Britt!

Still sounds like you're progressing very well with the recovery. Good luck with your appt. tomorrow. You will have fulfilled your doc's command to walk in unassisted! Hopefully you'll get some formal PT, even if it's for only a couple of visits. They can show you more exercises to do at home to get your strenght back. I always like PT because each time I go they test my strength and it's neat to be able to watch yourself progress and regain strength throughout the weeks of treatment.

I am always armed with a list of questions, but either forget them before I get to the doc or forget to ask them when he is sitting right in front of me. You're just about 2 months out...am I correct? My OS said that he did the surgery (the procedure I had done, but almost identical to yours I am supposing) on a man about a year ago, and the guy was back to hiking and backpacking in the mountains 3 months later!! Hopefully by your three month mark you'll be almost back to 100%. I hope I am good-to-go by three months thats for sure! I go Friday morning to get the splint off...I am anxious to see my ankle!

Anyways, please update tomorrow after you get back from the doc!

Take Care,

Megan

Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
(female)

Beekermlady HB User

Hey Everyone!

So I went to the doc today. My sister took me (total surprise..she actually volunteered), funny enough "Mr. Observant" surgeon totally missed out on the fact that we were twins! I found it a little ironic. The receptionist caught on and asked if we ever played tricks on people (one of the top five questions asked of twins) and my sister joked that she was thinking about climbing up on the table to have the OS look at her ankle pretending to be me! It was hilarious.. the doc would have been really impressed.. being as she has no problems with her ankles at all ::knock on wood::, he would have thought he did an excellent job right!?! LOL

Well, he wouldn't be to far off thinking that! He looked at my ankle and commended me. Even threw in that he thinks I should be come a physical therapist, because I am doing so well on my own! There is very minimal swelling and soreness, he told me to just RICE it when/if it swells or hurts. He wants me to continue with the pool (thank god I can finally go back in!) and walking. He gave me permission to walk my dog, too! He was very rushy rushy this appointment, even tried to walk out..but I caught him and asked the questions I needed to find out.

Firstly, I am cleared for work. My note says that I am able to return this Monday! Woohoo! I am sooo broke.. I really need the money! Of course, working on the Turnpike (for the state) I have to clear it with their doc. So I have to schedule and appointment for either tomorrow or Monday with their doc. I am thinking about wearing an ankle brace (elastic sports one) underneath my shoe, but I have to get that okayed by them, so I have to dig mine out to bring it with me. I really don't need it, but I think I would like to have the extra support having to walk up and down the steps, across the lanes, and then stand for 8 hours. Well, we will see...Going back to work also means that I am okayed to drive! Which has me floating on cloud 9 now!

I asked him about the soreness when standing, and at the end of the day. I also asked him about other shoes. For work I have to wear sneakers anyway, so that's no biggie, but I have a 25th Wedding Anniv. for my Aunt & Uncle next month and I want to be able to wear something other then running shoes. He says I can wear FLATS with very good arch support. So now I have to plan my outfit around my flats! LOL No problem, as long as I don't have to wear sneakers.

My range of motion while flexing increased 5%, and he was very pleased with that. Overall, the appointment was really good. Only restrictions I have are no volleyball, basketball, or high heels! Other then that I have to follow up with him in 1 month (9/14) when it will start to get cool here in NJ to see when I can start PT (if needed). He says the strange walk that I have now will most likely correct itself but he will reassess it at the next appointment. We close our pool around the 15th of Sept. so I have a few more good weeks left of my self-PT. Then after that I am going on a convention for 4 days and the hotel has a pool...so I will be set for about another 5 weeks. But we shall see!

I was so nervous going in today...no idea why...but I am sooo relieved now that I have a good report!

Best Wishes and prayers to those who need them.

-Britt

Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

Britt-

Sounds like you had an awesome appointment. Thats awesome that you can go back to work now...I totally understand about being broke. I haven't worked since May and miss my cash!! Just be careful and take it slow. Wearing a brace would be a good idea since you're on your feet all day. You wouldn't want to hurt it and go through all this again.

So you haven't driven since the surgery? Is it your right foot that was worked on? Mine was the left, and my doc told me no driving, but I have already broken the rule...oops. On Tuesday I drove 300 miles round trip to visit a friend who just moved back here. Bad idea!!! I paid for it and the ankle has protested ever since. I am such an idiot...lol...driving that much being only 7 days post-op.

Well, I just wanted to post and say congrats for now being "crutchless". I go to the doc in the morning to get this splint off, so I will update tomorrow.

Take Care!

Megan

Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Megan, again breaking rules! But we love her spunk!!!

Britt, how awesome you are doing!!! Cleared to drive, work, this is great! Have you done any standing? I'm not sure why, but for me it's harder to stand than to walk, even weaving gets painful. So test yourself some before you jump, or see if they will let you have a stool, or maybe do some shorter days for a week or so? Oh, girl, you rock!!!! Take care! And don't forget us. Kim

Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
(female)

Beekermlady HB User

Kim,

How could I forget the people who got me through this?? I know I won't be posting as much as work takes up about a fourth of my day, but I will be sure to come back here and post as often as I can. As for now, we do have stools in our booths, it's very hard to work while sitting down though. I am only 5'1 and my arms are pretty short, it's impossible to get the money from people and reach the push bottons while sitting down, for someone my height. I will try my hardest though. I have been standing frequently, since I am able to go out shopping (finally! YAY!) and there seems to be line everywhere! It does bother me to stand for too long, but I really have been doing a lot so it is improving a lot! It is impossible for me to have shorter work days, it's not in our contracts, so I have to bear through the 8 hour work days. Luck for me, my supervisors are super sweet people and they are willing to accommodate me. We normally get three breaks throughout our work day, and I know if I need to take a break they will work around it. Their is also the 'Entry Lane' where you get the ticket, which is much easier to operate and requires less standing because the machine is closer and you don't have to worry about dropping money. When I sprained my ankle at work, the end of last august, when I returned I worked the entry lane for about 2 weeks straight! I was soo spoiled, and my supervisor assured me it will be like that this time too.
I am anxious to get back! My mother said she never seen someone so happy to go back to work, but I love my job and my paycheck! I called my work doc today and they couldn't get me in until Monday morning, so I will not work Monday, but if everything goes well I will be back to work Tues. morning 6:30 AM! I can not wait for my first payday! Haha!

Megan,

The first time I drove since the surgery was this past weekend. My doc told me not to at my last appointment (3 weeks ago) because he feared that I may be hesitant to slam on the brake if I needed to. But I was down the shore where everyone drives slow so I went for a spin. Then I didn't drive again until Thurs. when he cleared me. It is my right foot (wish it were my left!) so I have not been driving from June 8th. It's like riding a bike though.. it just came back to me! Thank God!

Right now the only thing that I fear is that going to work is going to interupt my self-pt, as I will have less hours to do it. I guess I just have to work around it.

Well, take care ladies!

-Britt

Old 08-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Britt,
It sure sounds like you have a great group to work with, and that makes it a lot more pleasant! I'm glad to know they will look after you, and don't blame you for loving your job as well as the check. It is hard to find work you enjoy with people you can enjoy, so when you find it, you can't beat it!!! Do any hotels in your area have indoor pools? Some of the hotels around here with indoor pools (The outdoors close down Labor Day, and I know I won't be ready by then ) will let you use them for a nominal fee. Then you might be able to swim before or after work sometimes. Take good care! Kim

Closed Thread