It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
(female)

mkl HB User
Exclamation Wow....I just found out the lining comes out of the Aircast surgical boots to clean!

Remember the thread around 6 weeks ago about the best way to clean the inside of the aircast boots when they get really funky? Well, last night I found out by accident that the whole lining lifts out for washing and is held in place by only a few small velcro tabs on the bottom. My right foot is still bandaged 4 weeks after the surgery (the bandages come off this week to be replaced by only an alignment splint) and one of the unravelled sticky ends of the bandage stuck to the lining; when I took off the boot the lining came out attached to the bandage end. So now I can wash the linings and put them out on my fire escape to dry. Just thought I'd share this information with others wondering what to wipe the linings down with to get rid of smells or stains.

Marianne

Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User
Re: Wow....I just found out the lining comes out of the Aircast surgical boots to clean!

Great news! Glad you found an easy way to clean the boot. I posted the original question a while back.

My aircast boot lining will not come out as it is glued onto the shell (there are a few spots of velcro, but this is for the pads only) in several areas. I started to just scrub it with handsoap, followed by rinsing well in the tub. Warning for those with a XP or diabetic model Aircast boot (gray): it takes a good day in the August sun to dry completely, so be prepared to stay home with a "naked" foot.

The black boot (Donjoy) comes apart completely and I just tossed the lining in a net bag and put it in with the cold laundry, then hung to dry. It is easier to reattach lining if you put a plastic grocery sack over each lateral support rod. Replace lining when dry, then slide bags off rods.

Good to hear there are some boots that come apart completely. I wonder why some do, and some do not? Maybe a different factory?
jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

Beekermlady HB User
Re: Wow....I just found out the lining comes out of the Aircast surgical boots to clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprinz99

The black boot (Donjoy) comes apart completely and I just tossed the lining in a net bag and put it in with the cold laundry, then hung to dry. It is easier to reattach lining if you put a plastic grocery sack over each lateral support rod. Replace lining when dry, then slide bags off rods.

jane

Jane,

What a GREAT idea with the grocery bag! When I cleaned the lining of my boot, I got soooo agitated trying to put hte lining back in. It seems that when you try to put it back in the velcro catches on every inch of the lining! It was very annoying! If I ever need to use it again (hopefully not) and need to clean it, I will always remember your idea.. it's fantastic!

-Britt

Closed Thread