It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
(female)

irememberujody HB User
Unhappy swollen 2nd toe, pain=ball/foot & top toe

Anyone who has experienced this?. I have had over a 4 month period consistantly worsening pain and swelling on top of and under the 2nd toe. All the other toes are fine and it hurts the minute i use the foot. At night i sleep fine but the second i put my foot on the ground it hurts. It is so ultra sensitive to touch on top, even to wear a sock, touch the fine hairs on the skin or take a shower. Throughout the day as i walk, it hurts more, and swells on top and on the ball underneath. The toe itself swells where the toe meets the foot. The toe isn't swollen, only where it joins the rest of the foot. I have been to a podiatrist who tried to put me on lyrica. It didn't change a thing. He took x-rays and said they looked ok. He sent me home after 3 visits in the past 3 months to "give it time", Well, it got worse. I called and he said it could be a neuroma but there were no test to show it. So, my primary doctor was very unhappy with this response, as he has seen my toe and pain for 3 months, so he referred me to an ortho-surgeon. This week the ortho surgeon took one look at my foot without veiwing x-rays and said, "hammertoe, osteotomy, metatarsalagia, and semodistis"..swelling and pain to put it mildly. He recommends surgery. He then took x-rays again and confirmed his diagnosis. The thing is, i don't think i have hammertoe, as the toes move fine and they aren't rigid or "hammertoe" looking. I am trying to get another opinon as no one has suggested an MRI or cat scan. I think it is a neuroma. The surgeries are very different for these. He wants to cut the 2nd and 3rd toe bones and i read that that surgery is for rigid hammertoe. I had a failed back surgery and for the last 2 years since then the 2, 3, 4th toes have been tingling and numb, since the day after the surgery. I had lumbar decompression, lamenectomy, formanectomy..i never had pain or swelling till 4 months ago, and only in the 2nd toe. I don't know what to do or decision to make. After reading about all the failed hammertoe surgeries and the severity of foot surgery i am hesitant to believe this doctor when the podiatrist didn't diagnose this and all the research i have done thus far does not describe or look like hammertoe....?..Any back surgery people out there who have experienced this and can tell me about other possibilites?...t hammertoe surgery if it isn't hammertoe doesn't seem to be the right thing. If a surgeon opens up the foot can he cahnge hism mind about the surgery if he seees a neuroma once he is is there? Will an MRI show a neuroma or are their other tests to diagnose what this is 100%? My insurance already approved an mri to be done..i called the surgeons office to tell them and they called back saying the doctor didn't need an mri, that he was certain of the x-ray findings. How could the podiatrist and the surgeon look at the same x-rays and see completely different things. Its a clear x-ray. Who do i believe?

The Following User Says Thank You to irememberujody For This Useful Post:
marpret (05-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread