It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

beeberly HB User
Metatarsal Surgery - Questions?

I broke the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsal in my right foot. I have been in a boot for 7 weeks now nwb. I'm going nuts at home due to the fact that I am usually active volunteering at my kids high school, playing softball, etc... At my last dr. visit he told me that the healing is going very slow (due to the fact that I am a type 1 diabetic). He said next week when I see him he may want to suggest surgery. What should I expect from the surgery? He's talking about putting pins in. Thanks for any replies. Beebs

Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User
Re: Metatarsal Surgery - Questions?

Hi Beebs, I am not diabetic but 49 years old and don't know if that makes any difference. Slower healing maybe?? I had the 2nd met shortened in November last year and a plate and 4 screws put in. It was more to the midfoot area and not down by the toes...hence the plate and screws! The metatarsals are considered long bones and they are SLOW healing. I was in a cast for 18 weeks (NWB for 14 of those weeks). Had further 1st mtp fusion surgery on the same foot in July and I'm still in a boot part time. 3 weeks after that surgery I broke the 5th metatarsal on the other foot. So two feet in casts!! It has been 8 1/2 weeks and that foot (5th met) is STILL in a cast healing...and still sore I might add. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and these bones are notoriously slow in healing (in some people). I hope you get some positive news when you return to your doctor but if not...we are here for you!! Sophie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

beeberly HB User

Hi Sophie: Thanks for your reply. I wanted to tell you that I broke my foot while falling down the stairs after waking up with a low blood sugar. I did this 4 days before my 50th birthday. The worse part was that on that same day my husband had planned a spa day for me. Instead I ended up in an urgent care. I cannot even imagine having both feet in casts. You must be going nuts. What was the surgery like when they put the plate and screws in your foot. Two of the mets that are broken are the 3rd and 4th and they are broken up higher. The 2nd is broken down lower in the meaty part of the foot. The 2 bones don't even line up so I don't know how they are going to heal. I am not very patient with the healing process. I have not walked on it per the docs instructions. I also tore up the plantar fasicitis (sp?) tissue on the bottom of the foot. It is still purple. I'll keep you updated after my appointment next week. Thanks for your support - it helps to know that I am not the only one out here with foot issues. If you don't mind me asking - how did you injure your feet? Thanks again. Beebs

Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Hi Beebs,

The first surgery was to correct a second met that was too long and causing pain in the foot issues. I had bunion surgery on both feet 15 years ago and had no problems until now. The second surgery was for hallux rigidus (it would probably be easier if you just look at my prior posts). While I was NWB I slipped using the crutches while I was letting the dog out to do his business and my other foot went under on the outside and I broke the 5th met. My doctor could not believe that I had done it. I actually waited 4 days to go see him. Sophie

Closed Thread