It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

beckyn HB User
Incision infection?

I have a call into my doctor but I would like other's thoughts. On Monday I had my staples removed (which were hidden under a cast for 2.5 weeks). Anyway, the bandages had a couple yellow/green spots (yuck) on it. For whatever reason, I didn't question it at the time. I now have a new cast on for another four weeks which really concerns me as I won't be able to see or feel if the infection continues. I don't know why I didn't think to ask at the appointment but it didn't come to mind until after I was home. Like I said I do have a call into the doctor but would like your feedback on if you had a colored discharge which turned out to be nothing (or something).
Becky

Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Incision infection?

It could have been from something they put on the incision after surgery and before the cast went on - like polysporin or something like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Incision infection?

Did they clean the incision line after removing the staples? Did they swab it with betadine? I don't think you have anything to worry about but, you should be aware to report any unusual odor coming from the cast or increased pain. Also, if you notice swelling and the cast becomes tight head to the ER.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

beckyn HB User

Thanks for your comments. The Dr. called back and felt the spots were from the betadyne (sp?) interaction and not at all concerned with an infection. When the staples were removed, there was slight bleeding but do drainage from infection. The incisions were cleaned and more betadyne put on before the new cast. So, I guess I can now stop worrying about that...and find something else to worry about.
Best wishes and happy healing to all.
Becky

Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Incision infection?

Betadine is usually swabbed on the incision to prevent infection, but it does have a brownish color to it. Your doctor sounds very good to have called you back so soon.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
(female)

beckyn HB User

My statement should have read "...but no drainage from infection..."
Could have sworn I proofread my note before sending.
Take care all.
Becky

Old 10-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
(female)

expo-92 HB User

Hi
I just wanted to write because I've gone thru the infection thing and believe me you should know if it gets infected!! Mine got infected before the staples were removed and I thought the bad pain was just from the staples pulling in my cast. The pain was so bad, percocet didn't touch it Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and went back to the doc. They took off my cast and immediately saw the infection. They put me in the hospital right then, The next morning I had to go back in surgery for the OS to do a debribement? or something like that. I stayed in the hospital 4 days for this. I never want to go thru that again.
Just be careful and if something doesn't feel right, be sure and call you doc. Better to be safe than sorry.
Hope all goes well with you.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

beckyn HB User

Thank you for giving me an indication of what to expect if an infection occurs. I guess I was over-reacting in my case. The only reason I thought I had an infection was the green spot on the bandage when removed to replace th cast. As my post stated earlier, it was just an interaction from the betadyne. In my case, I am absolutely amazed at how minimal the pain has been. I only took pain pills (Vicodin) the first three days. Even those three days of pain were not the worst pain I've felt in my life. The true "pain" from this bunionectomy has been being in a cast for six weeks (only three more to go). The limited mobility is the worst part of the deal. Guess I'm learning patience...gr-r-r-r.
Best wishes and speedy recovery to all.
Becky

Closed Thread