It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

bunion28 HB User
Exclamation has anyone hheard of hallucis longus tendon rupturing after bunion surgery?

I had bunion surgery 2 months ago. and the other the day i was stretching my foot, and I felt a pop an I had sharp pain that ran from my ankle down to my big toe. I thought at first that maybe my screw in my big toe popped. I went to the doc, had a mri taken, and he said I ruptured the tendon that controls my big toe, I havent had much movent in it sence the surgery, but now I have none. I asked him if the tendon could have weakened during surgery , and of course he said no, but Im wondering if anyone knows of this happening to anyone, its realy botherson, wondering if this could of been caused by my tendon being cut or nipped during surgery. now I have to go in monday and have my tendon repaired and have my toe fused. Im worried... please respond if you have any info....

Old 10-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: has anyone hheard of hallucis longus tendon rupturing after bunion surgery?

no, but i am wondering if this happened to me. i go to the dr. tuesday. i had my right foot done about 10 years ago and everything was fine. what kind of fusion are you talking about debbie g

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
(male)

buckeyebill HB User

The screw could have been too long.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
(female)

bunion28 HB User

well I didnt get my toe fused , all he didi was repair the tendon that ruptured. Im not sure what caused it, all I know was something must have happed dureing my surgery, maybe it got nipped or cut accidently.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

bones111 HB User

quite often the EHL needs to be lengthened due to long term contracture of the bunion. Did he lengthen it? Playing devils advocate, often this pre operative contracture creates linear weaknesses, similar to runs in a panty hose. The joint is mal-alinged and thus the normal range of motion and or stresses are not being applied thru the tendon. This weakens the tendon. When the joint is re-alinged and the range of joint motion and tendon stresses are restored, these faults become evident and you can have a spontaneous rupture. I usually crank the big toe thru extreme ranges of motion after the joint has been restored, to see if there is tendon stricture, sometimes they need to be lengthened, others they start to show a tearing and it can be lengthened and repaired right then and there. Overall the loss of the EHL has very little effect on loss of foot function in closed shoegear. Good luck

Last edited by WanderingMod; 11-04-2006 at 07:41 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bones111 For This Useful Post:
Ecurox (10-09-2012)
Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
(female)

bunion28 HB User

Thanks bones111, you must be a doctor. Ive been asking that question for months, and even my doctor wouldnt give me a answer. Thanks. I had the tendon repaired two weeks ago, I now have 10 stiches on the top of my foot, I wasnt expecting that, but I understand they had to chase down both ends of the tendon. But what you told me about the tendon weakening is what I expected as much research I have done, I figured the stress of haveing my bone broke and a screw inserted made the tendon weak. DO you think I might have the same problem with the other foot.( when I get brave enough to have it done) lol. Is there something I can suggest to my doc, about lengthing it?

Closed Thread