It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

MyLeftFoot HB User
Arrow Newbie to boards - nervous about surgery Thurs...

Hello all -

Fortunately, I discovered these boards two days ago and many of you, past and present posters, have helped me so much! Nonetheless, I'm feeling anxious.

My surgery is essentially a bunionectomy of my left foot (big toe), correction of hypermobility, bone graft as well as lenthening of the tendon in my calf. I feel confident in my doctor, an orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in foot reconstruction and sports medicine. My life has become less active over the past eight months as my foot pain became worse. The past two months I've been reduced to wearing my birkenstock giza's everyday. Ugh! Pain led me to escalate the hunt for the proper surgeon and thank goodness I found these boards b/c I was beside myself with trying to put everything in to perspective. Part of that perspective was getting practically prepared.

My sig. other has been tremendous, he's been there at every turn; we spent much of our weekend shopping for everything on my list to make me more comfortable and help him in helping me.

So now that the busy work is done, how do I mentally prepare for the surgery and the unknowns following, pain management, being bedridden for a while and NWB for 8 weeks. I want to heal well, do my utmost as a patient to rehabilitate and eventually have a foot that doesn't hurt and can carry me through an active lifestlye that a year or so from now, includes running. Until then it's about pacing myself I suppose. With that said, time for some rest before the work week tomorrow.

Thank you for reading my post!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

mkl HB User
Re: Newbie to boards - nervous about surgery Thurs...

I don't know if there really is a way you can prepare yourself mentally for the unknown, other than to go into the surgery with a positive attitude. Everyone's experience of post-op seems to be different. You are fortunate to have a significant other to be there for you; I went through my two foot reconstruction surgeries and a follow up corrective operation on both feet totally on my own. In my case, I had no real choice because I could hardly walk at all pre-op. If it helps, I was scared out of my mind....but the whole experience was not nearly as horrible as I anticipated. Just focus on how happy you will be once the surgery is over with and be patient with your healing. You will do fine, especially since you have faith in your doctor. You may go through some mildly depressing patches over not being able to do things, as I did, but trust that everything will get better in time. I found this board incredibly helpful in getting support and encouragement when I needed it.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

Marianne

Closed Thread