It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

Busygirl HB User
Managing weight gain while recovering from surgery?

Okay, haven't really seen this one posted here. I was talking to a friend who also had foot surgery. She had her surgery about 1 month earlier than me.

She spoke of how she has gained about 15 pounds since her surgery. I, too, felt like I have put on a few pounds since surgery. I used to have a active lifestyle. Now, however, I'm in the healing phase, my foot swells like a small loaf of bread and I can't even walk properly.

My friend is going to do yoga. I thought that was a good idea. I'm also wondering about Pilates.

Any one else have ideas for exercise while waiting for feet to heal? Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Busygirl:
jclifton120 (06-02-2011)
Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: Managing weight gain while recovering from surgery?

I am afraid that I don't have much help for you... I have been having surgeries for 8 years now (19 so far on my left foot and ankle) and went from having a very active lifestyle to almost completely seditary and as a result have gained quite a bit of weight.

I have tried pilates and yoga, and they have helped with flexability and energy levels and have a secondary benefit of protecting me if and when I fall (if you are limber you have less chances of injury) but they really do not have the cardio and resistance levels needed to compensate for hiking, biking and other active life excercises.

I would suggest making sure you drink plenty of water ... not juice (containes alot of sugar)... watch your soduim intake, try to cut back your caloric intake to compensate for your more sedintary lifestyle. Avoid the temptation to nibble out of frustration or boredom. Switch from three meals a day to 6 more smaller ones.

Good luck and I hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User

Hi,
just want to put in my2 cents. I also have had 7 surgeries in 2 years. this last time I was pretty much confined to bed for almost 11 months. In this time I have put on aoutg 60 lbs. I cut down on food, but before the surgeries I worked full time, took care of the dogs and horses, cleaned stalls every day 2 times a day, tossed hay bales, pushed 800 lbs of round bails and carried large bags of horse feed, plus the housework, dragged pastures and mowed the same. I think the only way not to gain weight is not to eat at all. It's great knowing that it isn't just me. It doesn't make the weight go away, but it does help me in not beating myself up over something I can't change.
mary

Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Do I hear the siren call of others who went from very active lives to having metabolisms that sloths envy?

It is very hard to keep your weight steady when you have a drastic change of lifestyle... I actually eat as little as 400 calories a day and some days don't remember to eat, but somehow the pounds find me.

It is like... if I look at an ad on TV for a whopper I gain a pound!

The good news is that when our lives finally get back to normal (some day) our friends and relatives will all be astounded at how fast we lose weight and get back into shape and will want to know our secret. Until then it is sweat pants and oversized shirts and a growing disgust for the people who munch away on oreos all day long and don't gain an ounce.

Pre-injury I used to ride horses, belly dance, hike, golf, ride bikes, walk the beaches... I don't think I ever sat down much, I even used to watch TV standing up and just leaning against a wall if I was home enough to watch anything. Now I sit and read or watch way too much TV or work on some artwork... and look up how many calories brushing my teeth can burn!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

misery loves company, eh? I am also struggling with the post-foot poundage. I even had to buy a few new pair of shorts this summer (it is all I live in lately) as my old ones no longer allowed me to breathe. Thank goodness it is coming onto seatpants weather (at least I can hide and disguise)

I keep telling myself that once I am again able to do what I want and get back into the normal everyday routine of old, the pounds will dissapear. At least they leveled off at @15lbs. gain. Of course, this is also when I said "Holy moly - you had best start watching what you stuff down that pie hole Jane!" In the past I could eat what I wanted (within reason) without much, if any weight gain, but then again I was always burning it off. Funny how a few months sitting on your fanny will make you aware of how big that same fanny can get!

I am equally determined to get back down to my old size/weight and get back some muscle tone. Now if I could manage to avoid the Hallowen candy...

jane

Old 10-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

bunion28 HB User

I had bunion surgery 10 weeks ago, and a few weeks ago i was getting down and out cause I was stuck in the house and I was gaining weight. So I thought I would do ok stretching , and light exercising . But learn from my mistake, take your time and heal , it is a slow process, but if you over do it too quick , you could cause other complication and major major swelling. thats what happend to me. If your swelling bad, you can ask your doc for some anti-flamatory meds, it really helps with swelling..and it helps if you keep your foot elivated with ice also. Well good luck on your recovery.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
(female)

wtwct HB User

I use a tape by margaret richards. It is called "getting better". You can work your upper, lower and core without standing. You can get this on her web site. It does not come in DVD form. Also, if you have a wheel chair, you can move yourself around the house or go outside and go up the block. This is very good fat burning. When I am in my chair, I am in better shape than when I walk. Also, the exercise tape is very good. You will be stronger than when you were a walking person. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread