It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

vickyw HB User
Weils Osteotomy

I had the two toes next to my big toe straightended 6 weeks ago, to be honest I am not really sure how they have done it but I have had a screw fitted in each toe. I still have a small wound on the top of my foot and my foot swells up within a 1/2 hour of standing on it. Does anyone know how long roughly it will take for the swelling to go down and the pain to ease? I know I sound vague but to be honest the consultant who did my op was not very forthcoming with infomation on exactly what I was having done or the possible outcome. I had to look it all up on the internet.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: vickyw
kto (11-13-2010), wanda startup (01-10-2012)
Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

bellydancer15 HB User
Re: Weils Osteotomy

Hi Vicky
I've been offered the same procedure as you had last year, for metatarsalgia (pain in ball of one foot) and deviating toe.
How did you get on? Time to weightbear? Time to 'as good as it's going to get' Was it worth it?

bellydancer15

Birmingham, UK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
(male)

Solepalm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydancer15 View Post
Hi Vicky
I've been offered the same procedure as you had last year, for metatarsalgia (pain in ball of one foot) and deviating toe.
How did you get on? Time to weightbear? Time to 'as good as it's going to get' Was it worth it?

bellydancer15

Birmingham, UK
The Weil osteotomy (cutting of bone) was developed by LS Weil to treat “static disorders” of the lesser toes. The term “static disorder” is perplexing since the forefoot is in all respects a dynamic structure. The purpose of the procedure is to shorten a metatarsal in the management of pain in the sole of the foot, “metatarsalgia”. The rational escapes me.

There are no random controlled trials comparing this with any other procedure. Isolated reports recognise the following complications. I have listed the highest reported complication rates. [I believe the patient must assume, and be informed of the worst outcomes]

Floating Toes: 68% (Hoffstaetter 2006)

Stiffness 40% (Barrie and Watmough)

Persisting pain 27% (Davis and Saxby 1999, short term follow up)

Uncorrected dislocation 15%

Transfer lesions 6% (Vandeputte 2000)

Other complications reported include

Infection

Screw Migration

Persisting sub-metatarsal callosities

Hypertrophic incision scar

Deep vein thrombosis

Complex regional pain syndrome

Displacement

Delayed union

Period of convalescence 3-4 months

Off work - 6 weeks for standing occupations (and presumably for public transport commuting) [url]http://www.londonfootsurgery.com/weil_osteotomy.html[/url]

Barrie and Watmough (2008) report “Overall patient satisfaction of about 90%”. This is difficult to reconcile with the above figures, even if it is supposed that all the complications occurred in the same patients, which is improbable. The more likely explanation is that patients became reconciled with their disabilities.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i had this done 2 years ago. my 2nd toe was shortened and it still sticks up and wont touch the floor. i had to have another surgery at the begginning of this year to remove some scar tissue. its not as big as it was, but it is ugly. i wish i never had it done. i went to pt and that didnt help. the pain will last for a while. it doesnt sound like you have too much swelling so i think you will be fine.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
(female)

webbie73 HB User

I had a Weils Osteotomy as part of my foot surgery about 8 weeks ago. The second toe was much longer than the big toe so it now is in line with my other toes. I have/had quite a bit of discomfort with the toe. Everyday I use a Dacro hammer toe splint to help bring the toe down. I do see improvement but the discomfort is still there. I also have "sausage toe". It can be frustrating but I no longer have the extreme pain both on the top and bottom of my foot. LOL just a dull ache when I have been on my feet. LOL

I just started to wear a Dansko shoe and sometimes my sneakers but have to use a toe protector since the incision is still tender. After being on my feet my foot and ankle are still swelling.

I wish you all the luck and well being.

Kathy

The Following User Says Thank You to webbie73 For This Useful Post:
wanda startup (01-10-2012)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
(male)

Solepalm HB User

Hello Webbie 73 - Bone and joint surgery, unlike soft tissue surgery, takes not days and weeks, but rather weeks and months to recover. Eight weeks since your surgery is a relatively short time, and you can expect progressive improvement for up to six months. The swelling (if it is not also red and painful) is common and can last up to a year.
Best Wishes

Closed Thread