It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

heidi35 HB User
tendon and ligament surgery on ankle 9 weeks ago

Hi! I am new to the boards and was wondering if anyone could answer some questions or had similiar problems! I had surgery on my right ankle 9 weeks ago and every step is very painfull. My surgery was to sew up a brevis tendon tear and tighten the ligaments and clean the tendons(?) I spent 6 weeks in 2 different casts and another 3 weeks in a walking boot. The doctor told me Thursday to stop using the boot and to use a brace now. Well since Thursday I am in more pain then I have been, is this normal?? I have been in PT for 3 weeks and some days I think it helps well other days i hurt more when i leave. I should also mention I have a cyst in my ankle too that the Dr. wouldnt remove because he said it would not be beneficial at this time. I told my doc about the pain he did not seem concerned and kind of blew it off. Please let me know if this is normal or if anyone else has gone through this!!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Re: tendon and ligament surgery on ankle 9 weeks ago

Heidi35
It takes quite a while for the tendon to heal. I had surgery on both ankles for tendon issues and it took them quite some time to get back to normal. I was not back to my regular activities for several months. Make sure to continue with your PT - yes it will hurt sometimes, and it will ache, but they are helping to get the strength back in your ankle. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

Hi Heidi!

Welcome to the ankle surgery club! There are several people on this board who have gone through similar surgeries as you have, and most are happy to answer any questions you may have.

I am 13 weeks post-op from a ligament reconstruction using a tendon graft (peroneus brevis) to reconstruct the ligaments. The pain, in my opinion is probably a totally normal part of the healing process. I still have pain on a daily basis and I try to tell myself that it's just my ankle telling me to slow things down and not overdo myself. My doc told me it would take a year for the ankle to feel normal again, pain wise. Therapy is pretty much pain and torture, but in the long run it will be well worth it. I was discharged from therapy about 2 weeks ago, and am back to around 85% strength. When I complained to my physical therapist about pain, he always stressed to me how major of a reconstruction I had done, and that the pain was normal. This is the second surgery I had on this ankle (had a previous unsucessful ligament repair) and the recovery from this latest surgery was pure torture compared to the first. I'm back to all of my normal activities now, and have been for several weeks. My doc was surprised that I healed so quickly. Everyone heals at their own rate.

Hope I may have helped you a bit. Keep doing well in therapy and you'll be thankful for the pain you endured, as you should be good to go in no time. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Megan

Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Sounds about right to me too. What kind of stuff are you doing in rehab? Talk to your PT and never let a doc blow you off. Ask them what is a good "things are healing" types of pain and what makes a bad "something is wrong" pain. You don't say where it hurts, but at 9 weeks you have to remember that you have the injury/repair, the forced immobilization/inactivity and also the trauma of surgery to get through. Sounds dumb, but PT should not be a walk in the park; some days will be better than others. I always show up to PT bright and fresh. I leave gimpy, hurting, swollen and exhausted. This is your proof that you and your PT are both getting results. For me things started to really turn the corner about 12 weeks post op, but that may have been just me.
jane

Old 11-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
(female)

heidi35 HB User

Hi, thanks for responding. In PT I am doing the heat, stretching, picking up alot of marbles with my toes, he just started me on the bike, and then cold with electricity. Night time the pain seems to be the worst the covers hurt and finding a comfy position is always a challange. Getting off my feet during the day is not always an option with 3 kids and a golden retriver!! Thanks again for responding!
Heidi

Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Heidi35-

I have found through the years that those microbead pillows that were very popular for a while and can still be found are perfect for keeping your foot from moving around while sleeping. Those neck support pillows for traveling help as well and have that nifty 'well' for the anklebone.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

I hear you on the covers issue. What worked for me was alot of pillows -

put your foot up on a pillow (say one or 2), put same amount plus one extra pillow behind the "foot" stack. The extra height of the bottom stack keeps the covers off the foot. Looks like a two step arrangement (I hope this makes sense).

Good luck keeping the fur out of the velcro {I have a golden/Irish setter mix}. Don't you grow to hate the marble pick ups?
jane

Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
(female)

heidi35 HB User

The fur is in the velcro constantly!! My golden also had a thing for every cast I had, she seemed to have the need to lick it when ever she thought i wasnt looking!! I was doing the marbles one day and i couldnt pick them up and im thinking something must be wrong i could do this the otherday did i rehurt myself and not realize it? No my PT had put to much lotion on my foot when he massaged it and never wiped it off. When we both realized it it was very funny!

Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Now that I am laughing out loud at the extra effort required to do marbles with lotion! Hmm, I don't think I'll tell my PT about this as he will think it is something greatt o try in order to increases dificulty...

Yup, all God's creatures, gotta love 'em. My cat thinks velcro and boots/braces are the best scratching posts and are quite fine for face rubbies too. Tyler (my dog) makes sure everyone knows I am his, as he leaves his fur in every inch of velcro there is - it has gotten to be a running joke when I brace up. A long time back in an earlier post I told everyone about Tyler's "help" in getting me active. The first time I came home with a boot on he had to sniff it up and down. The boot had long tails to the straps of velcro. Tyler stopped sniffing, looked at it then bit one and ran off in a giant game of tug-o-war. Needless to say I lost and was nothing but a human ball and chain while he dragged me acrosss the foyer. Also, my PT clinic has a dish of candy at the front desk for clients. My husband drops me off/picks me up at each session and Tyler thinks it is his devine right to go on all car trips. As I am walked out to my car at the end of a session, they now keep a box of dog treats too!

Yup, they sure add something toour lives, eh?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
(female)

heidi35 HB User

They sure do! The best part was being on crutches and having the dog constantly at my heels, I cant count the times she knocked a crutch out!! She is my baby and sleeps on my side of the bed so getting up was always a challange! Even now at the computer she has wiggled her 85 pound body under the desk to lay her head on my feet!!

My pt must have decided the marbles were to difficult for me because i didnt have to do them today!!haha

Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

Yeah for Heidi! The day I 'graduated' from marbles Carl (my PT) laid down a bunch of jacks while I wasn't looking. When I tried to grab one and spied them I was stunned silent. They all cracked up (therapists and other patients)... At least I knew I was done with the marbles since I hated them and there were a lot
jane

Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

... just wait until you get to the bridging with the TheraBall-

Closed Thread