It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User
Upcoming peroneal tendon reconstruction

I just got my appointment itenary for my upcoming surgery which is in three weeks (3 pages long with all the pre-op and follow up appointments already scheduled) and was wondering if anyone here who's gone through all this had any more information as to what this really entails. I had put off the surgery until the fall season ended, and have been playing injured since September. Despite resting it as much as possible and icing it multiple times a day, it seems to have gotten noticeably worse, to the point where I actually have to go back to the boot for a couple days after playing unless I want to spend the day on my rear end.

My initial pre-op appointments (because they're with different departments, the clinic I go to schedules them as seperate appointments, so I have 4 of them) are next Wednesday and have me going for hospital pre-admission, miscellanous x-ray, the OS department appointment, and then an appointment in the cast room. I kinda assumed the whole appointment might just be simple drawing blood and meeting with the doctor, but apparently it's a lot more involved. I don't really see why they would do an x-ray (They haven't shown anything to date) or put a cast on it before the surgery, but don't really have a lot of experience with this either. Also, is this something that might find any further damage I may have done if I did in fact make it worse playing on it?

Worst of it now is, the doctor said I wouldn't be able to run on it for 3 months, which I had no problem with until this weekend, as my team won our regional tournament this weekend, and just qualified for the national round of 16, which means a game in mid to late March (14 or 15 weeks after surgery). I know I won't be at 100%, but reading about other peoples recoveries from similar surgeries, and beginning to wonder if I'll even be able to play at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

Beekermlady HB User
Re: Upcoming peroneal tendon reconstruction

Hello, I had ligament/peroneal tendon reconstruction June 9,2006. I found out the date of surgery about 2 weeks before, because I asked to have it done ASAP so my recovery would not lead into fall semester. I met with my doctor and my mother two weeks before the surgery to discuss all that was to be done and to sign a consent form (I am no good with needles, so they would have to give me a Valium at the hospital to put the IV in, and you can't sign the consent forms under the influence). A couple of days after that I went to the hospital for my pre-admissions screening. I had to give a urine sample, have a blood test, an x-ray, fill out a bunch of forms, and meet with the people in the Physical Therapy department to practice my use of crutches.

At my first appointment post-op (which the doc scheduled with my parents while I was still sedated) the doctor removed the original dressing, checked the incision, and re-wrapped it. I had one more appointment that was similar to that. Then the following appointment I had the stitches removed and the fiberglass cast put on. I wore the cast for 4 weeks. When I got the cast off I could not walk at all, the doc gave me three weeks until my next appointment at which time he wanted to see me walk into his office. I was nervous, but what do you know, within three weeks I was walking into his office with no crutches and no brace. My PT was to be in my swimming pool until the weather got cooler, and because I did so well in the pool I did not have to attend formal PT. Now I am walking (in moderate pain everyday) 5 months post-op.

It was about 13 weeks after my surgery that I was able to walk again. About the 16th week I returned to work. The majority of the time spent between those weeks was working on my balance and trying to get my body to remember how to walk again. It was physically and mentally straining, but it got me far. I just want to add in that everyone heals differently, it took me this long to heal, but that is not neccessarily how long it will take you. It all depends on the schedule your OS wants to keep with your healing, and your body. If you get the chance ask him/her at the next appointment if they thing you will be ready to compete in March.

Is this your first foot/ankle surgery?? If it is, maybe the ladies and gentlemen on this board can provide you with some useful tips about getting around and getting things done post-op. There are so many things that you don't think are going to be challenging, but they are. If you prepare, your days after the surgery will be a lot less tense.

Best of Luck
-Britt

Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

Yeah, this is my first surgery (of any kind). The doc had said I'd be able to run, but just not at what level. I hoping I'll be able to start working out in the pool once the cast is off so I'll be somewhat in shape when I can start running; although that won't be until spring semester starts in late January.

As for the getting prepared for the whole surgery, I'm staying at my parents house (on the living room couch, as I don't think I'll be able to make it upstairs to my room) until my second follow up appointment (6 days after surgery), and then when I go back to school, I'm staying at my boyfriends apartment instead of my dorm (he has a first floor apartment, and I'm on the 3rd floor in a building with no elevator). I've already talked to my professors about missing class, and my first final isn't scheduled until 9 days after surgery so I'm hoping I can make it without too many problems. After finals are over, I'll be going back to my parents house, hopefully back to my own bed upstairs. From what I've read about other peoples' experience, this is a royal PITA, and I'm not looking forward to the upcoming weeks of boredom.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

heidi35 HB User

HI ! I had surgery 10 weeks ago for a peroneal tendon repair and ligament tightening, You are actually lucky to have time to prepare for the surgery I was told I would have it in less than a week! I did have an x-ray , urine test and a phone interview with a nurse before surgery. Its good you are staying with your parents for a bit after the surgery, you wont feel like doing much! I found stairs to be hard at first but you wil figure out what works best for you as you go along, i started going up and down them on my butt and then a couple weeks later i could hop down using the railing! I had all my post op appoints made before surgery also,one at 2 weeks to get a cast change and stitches out(ankle wasnt pretty) and then every 4 weeks until january. I have found my ankle to be very painful at times but have been told by many Dr and other patients that it is well worth it in the long run.
Good luck to you! Heidi

Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

Hi Rugbygirl,

I have a two procedures similar to what you are having done. First I had a ligament repair and arthroscopy about a year and a half ago. Then I blew out this repair in June of this year (cycling accident). 13 weeks ago I had a much more extensive ligament reconstruction using a tendon graft (peroneus brevis) in which the tendon was taken out, and rerouted through the bones and secured with several screws. I was in a post-op splint for 10 days, then got the stitches out and a fiberglass cast put on for 4 weeks. When I got the cast off and moved into the walking boot, I was able to ditch the crutches (5 weeks post-op). Then I started aggressive physical therapy, which I was in for approximately 8 weeks. At 9 weeks post-op I was able to get back on my bike and ride 25 miles. I am now also back to working 12 hours shifts at the hospital where I work, with minimal pain.

The surgery wasn't bad it in itself. I went into the hospital at about 11am, and by 12 I was in the OR. Surgery lasted 4 hours. I ended up staying overnight in the hospital for pain control. The biggest thing to remember is to take your pain pills before you think you'll need them. Stay on schedule taking them! The first few days I was taking 2 percocet every 4-6 hours, and it really kept the pain at bay. At home I crawled up the stairs on my butt (I suck at using crutches). Taking a shower or bath of any kind will be a PITA for a while. I bought (and Britt did too) the StayDry AquaSox cast protector. It is awesome and keeps the splint or cast bone dry.

I'd say since you are already an athlete and in good shape, by March you should be good to go. My doc told me that by the 3 month mark, I should be able to do whatever I want, as long as I wear my brace. At this point, I cycle everyday, have jogged some, and am looking at playing some indoor soccer this winter. I'd say right now I am back to 90%. I am fixing to have some unrelated surgery in three weeks though that might set me back a bit though.

Good luck with the surgery, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Megan

Old 11-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

I'm not too worried about much (aside from the absolute boredom) until the spring season starts, as I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to be doing much of anything until I can get in the pool (hopefully late January), although knowing how well I follow doctors' orders I'm hoping I'm a bit skeptical about whether I'll be able to or not... I was told to wear my brace while I was playing this season (he wasn't thrilled by the idea that I told him I was going to put the surgery off until after the season) once he realized that I was going to play. I soon ditched that idea as well (my stirrup one was too bulky to fit in my cleats, so I went with my old lace up one, and started getting bad blisters on my heel from it), which is probably why it seems to have gotten worse.... I'm thinking that even if I'm healthy enough to play, I'm going to have to force myself to wear it (or hope the host school has a trainer on site that could tape it).... I suppose dealing with bad blisters is a whole heck of a lot better than having to go through all this again.

-Molly

Last edited by rugbygirl15; 11-16-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
(female)

Beekermlady HB User

Blisters are def. easier. Just remember how well you follow your doctors orders could seriously impact (or even ruin) your recovery time. Doctor knows best when it comes to this stuff, and I am sure you will hear 'I worked hard on this, so I want you to keep working hard on it," more then once from your OS. They just have your best interest at heart, and although their rules may seem to put a damper on your life, in the long run it will be well worth it.

-Britt
PS What is the date of your surgery?

Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

The surgery is on December 6th... and I know what you're saying, that's pretty much what my boyfriend keeps telling me when I tell him I'm going to play in our game in March (turns out after last weekend, we're playing in the national semi-final, then hopefully final the next day). I suppose he's right, that it's only one weekend, but If I'm not ready, and mess it up again, it's going to be a heck of a lot longer....

Molly

Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

For you girls that went through this, any idea as to how long I'll need the crutches? I'm not really that stable on them, and I was hoping to take a required class over winter break (starts on January 2nd) that will require me to carry my portfolio and supplies (a small toolbox which would fit into my backpack) to class. Unfortunately the portfolio is waaaaay to big for my backpack? Was ditching the crutches (at least one of them even) an option after 3-4 weeks?

-Molly

Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

Molly-

I was able to ditch the sticks at 4 weeks post-op. My OS told me at my 2 week post-op appt. that I could be weight bearing as tolerated then. I was a bit hesitant to walk that early, so I waited to the one month mark to walk on my own. The transition for me was quite easy and not too painful. I also stink on crutches so I was very ready to get rid of them!

Megan

Old 11-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
(female)

Beekermlady HB User

Molly,

I was in a Non-weight bearing cast for about 6 weeks post-op and then when I was out of the cast I was told to gradually begin to bear weight. It took me a bit longer then Megan.

-Britt

Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

I do well ok cruthces for a while but they are really tiring and make me sore. But... can really fly on forearm cuff (loffler or lauffler -sp?) crutches and not get worn out or sore. They are the crutches that clip around your forearm - my husband calls them cripple sticks. You might also investigate a Roll-A-Way. It is a little cart/buggie thing you kneel on with the bad foot and scoot by walking with your good leg. They are great but some insurance companies will only cover them with a letter of nec and some do not, thus you have to rent or purchase it at a DME supplier. I have also seen them on ebay. I think Ellen (Eko) used one.

Of course in Boston you will have to deal with the snow so getting buddy buddy with a class mate might be your best option.

Whatever you end up doing for your game I wish you well and "Go Team!"

jane

Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

Thanks, I don't know how practical the roll-a-way would be the weather has been unseasonably warm (and rainy ) so far but I don't think I can count on it in January (granted, I definitely won't complain if we don't get the feet of snow we usually get). I ended up playing hockey Saturday night, as I was home for the weekend and my brother mentioned that the group he skates with could use a few more players (granted I think the skating may have been a bit overkill, as my ankle feels like it's planning a mutiny now). Long story short, I was talking to one of the guys who also happened to be a graphic design major, who had ACL surgery last year. He suggested seeking out the professor ahead of time, and let him know my situation, and ask about leaving a small selection of my supplies in the classroom, and keeping the rest at home, that way I wouldn't need to try and lug everything back and forth to class. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to lose at least one of the crutches by then, but if not at least I may have this as an alternative.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

jprinz99 HB User

That's good news. I remeber when I was in college (God, a long time ago!) I had a prof tell me to see the Dean of students. She was awesome! She wrote to each prof and I got all sorts of help (I went to shool in NH, injured in late fall, lasted to spring). She even had the library place a set of textbooks in each profs office/class so I didn't have to transport mine back and forth. Security even met me at each building to take me around campus, including the athletic building for my rehab & training sessions.

I don't know why I didn't think of mentioning this first... must be 'cause I looking at fourty dead in the face. I must have been thinking of high school at first.

By the way, you had better have a sitdown with your coach and head trainer before surgery. Mine were great about keeping me in shape, working around my limitations. Although I dare say they worked me hard! I think I ended up in better shape than before I messed up my ankle

jane

Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #15
(female)

rugbygirl15 HB User

I know what you mean, I'm just glad that it's only a winter intersession course, so it's only for a month. As for telling the coach/trainer, we're only a club sport, and don't have a coach, so I'm pretty much on my own for keeping fit through this whole ordeal (I'm already looking forward to getting back in the pool, hopefully in late January). We're lucky enough to have a trainer at the games (mainly in case someone gets hurt during the match, although they will tape us up if needed beforehand), and from what I gather I'm sure they'll notice the scar and put two and two together when we start up in the spring (assuming I'm even playing by then).

Closed Thread