It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Skin peeling after bunionectomy

I'm 5 weeks postop from severe bunionectomy(had Lapidus procedure). I am not weight bearing and I have a guaze wrap and ace that I am not supposed to remove since I have one external pin that will hopefully be removed this Thursday. Anyway the part of my foot that I can see and get to has peeling skin that is disgusting. It is coming off in sheets!! I'm trying to leave it alone but it is driving me crazy. I'm putting cream on what I can get to but still - is this normal? The fact I haven't been able to wash my foot is also driving me crazy!

Thanks for this Board - everyone has been so helpful. I never realized this would be such a slow long recovery. You guys have all helped tremendously though. Thanks again for being here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
(female)

dancing feet HB User
Re: Skin peeling after bunionectomy

I just removed my gauze and ace bandage in order to shower. My foot is also peeling and you're right it is disgusting. I have to be careful not to get soap where the stitches were. That area has ugly scabs (some starting to fall off), and I still have to put on the neosporin. Most of my peeling is on the underside of my foot and on the toes. I bought some foot cream and it helps a little. I will ask my doctor when I see him on Tuesday if this is normal. I believe you had your surgery on 10/18 as did I. Is your big toe still swollen; mine is, and the surrounding area. The bottom portion of the toe (where I have my implant) is stiff and it hurts if I try to move it. However, I have been bearing weight on the foot (just the last few days).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

Busygirl HB User

Hi! For a time, my foot had skin peeling off of it in wide strips also. It was a bit alarming! The good thing is eventually it does stop.

I used Mederma over my scar. The Mederma seemed to help the scabs fall off and it seemed my skin peeled more where the Mederma was. However, underneath, it was good, pink, healthy skin. Also, I was glad to get rid of the scabs - the scabs made it look worse.

Lastly, I would soak in the bathtub with Epsom salts added to the water. Then I would ever so carefully use a pumice stone on the bottom of my foot. For quite some time I dared not get my foot completely wet because it was really painful afterwards. (This was way after my dr gave me the okay to get my foot wet.) So I was pretty careful on not soaking my post-op foot, just wetting the bottom of the foot and heel area. I could gently use the pumice stone on my toes and sole of my foot.

Well, hope this helps you. Good luck with your healing!

Old 11-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

beckyn HB User

Yes, the foot looks quite yucky after doesn't it? It was eight weeks before I got to see my foot and it was a sight for sore eyes. This is all quite normal. I would gently soak it and wash carefully with a wash cloth. The dry skin would eventually come off and expose nice new pink skin and no calluses. Kinda nice. Now I just need to learn to walk without pain.
Happy healing to all. Becky

Old 11-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Glad to hear that I am not the only one "molting". Yes DancingFeet I had my surgery 10/18 (nice to know I have a "surgery" buddy). My big toe isn't so swollen but I can't move it at all. I keep saying "okay toe -move" and it doesn't. My doctor has assured me that it will come back. The whole area where the buion was and the toe itself are still numb to the touch.

The scab has come off the top of my second toe (that was shortened during surgery as it became longer than my big toe) and the scar there looks really good. In fact I have to really look to see it. I hope the scar on the top of my foot looks as good. What I can see of that still has the scab on it.

Well thanks for responding. It's nice to know I'm not the only one peeling. I will definitely ask the doctor on Thursday what I should be putting on it.

Closed Thread