It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Smile 8 weeks post op - no crutches

Well I had my 8 week check today and he told me to throw away the crutches. I finally figured out how to walk in the air boot without them. He liked the sneakers I brought and told me to ease into them over the next few days. I've already taken tomorrow and Monday off work to catch up on things but I know I can't overdo.

I also can start driving again (yeah!!!) I asked about walking barefoot and he said absolutely not! I'm also to start working my toe back and forth as much as I can to increase the range of motion. I still cannot move the toe on my own. He told me to get a compression stocking to wear with the sneakers as I still have some swelling but he said I'm right on schedule for where I should be. I think there is light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not the train coming to hit me LOL).

I know in the long run this will all be worth it and I will look back and say "that wasn't so bad". (don't know if my family will agree!!).

Happy Holidays to all and speedy recoveries.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

dancing feet HB User
Re: 8 weeks post op - no crutches

Happy to hear your good news! Did your doctor say why you shouldn't walk barefooted? I decided to try it on my own since I have too much pain trying to get my foot into the sneaker. The velcro sandal that I wear has a totally flat bottom and I thought if I walked barefoot, it would give my foot some flexing motion. I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing. I have my next appointment on the 19th.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi - when I asked him about walking barefoot he said that was the worst thing I could do and the last I would be able to. He said I could wear a slipper around the house so I just went out and got one with a good sole.

Of course I went out driving and shopping this morning. Driving is fine (I'm going slow) and I walked around Kmart with a shopping cart. Well after about an hour my foot said - enough is enough. I'm home now and just went back to the boot. My daughter wants to go to the mall later and I already told her it might be a short trip. I could always drive in the sneaker and then put the boot on to walk around but getting in and out of the sneaker is a little painful. The big toe still doesn't want to move and it's not happy being put into a shoe!!

I'm sure each day will get a little better - I sure hope so. As always - keep us posted on your progress.

Mary

Old 12-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

sammy2704 HB User

Hi, from what i have read it sounds like you have had a 1st mtp fusion. My name is sam and i live in the UK i had 1st mtp fusion Oct 31st. I am out of my cast ( 3 days now) and would really like someone to talk to about all the do's and dont's. You see although our health service is free here in the UK you are given very little advice, basically you see a consultant, you have your op and apart from one more check up in 3 months time you are left without any more help. I would love just to talk to someone who has gone through the same thing as me.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Sammy - yes I had my metatarsal fused. Why did you have yours fused? I had a severe bunion so with the Lapidus bunionectomy the metatarsal was fused with one internal pin and one external. I asked the dr on Thursday how did we know the fusion took and he said it took. He did not x-ray on Thursday but I have had 2 sets of x-rays taken since the surgery. I saw the dr at one week, two weeks (when the stitches came out), 4 weeks, 6 weeks and 8 weeks. Now I go back in 3 more weeks.

I was basically non weightbearing for the entire 8 weeks. The first two in a removable cast and the next 6 in an air walker boot. I never dreamed the recovery would be so long and slow. Yesterday and today are the first days I've been in a sneaker all day. I can tell my foot has about had it for today.

So you had your surgery 2 weeks after me and must be almost through your recovery time. Are you able to walk now? How does it feel? Feel free to ask any questions and good luck in your recovery.

Mary

Old 12-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
(female)

sammy2704 HB User

Hi Mary, thanks for your quick reply. I had Hallux Rigidus grade 3 in my left big toe, i have it fixed with 1 internal screw, Xrays showed good beginnings of fusion, although i know it will be a further 6 weeks until it is solid. Yes i am walking (carefully!) but i was not told when i could start driving again, do you know? I am worried that i may damage it at this early stage. I am also unsure as to whether i should be attempting to walk "normally" ie toe off rather than flat footed.Look forward to your reply.
Wishing you a speedy recovery too. Sam

Last edited by sammy2704; 12-18-2006 at 04:02 AM.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi again Sam - it was my right foot and since that is the US driving foot I was not allowed to drive for the full 8 weeks (I hate depending on others to take me places). I don't think the driving itself would have been so bad but I wouldn't want to have to break hard and fast (and I probably wouldn't remember in an emergency to break with my left) so I just didn't take any chance and try. Besides I couldn't get my foot into a shoe. At 6 weeks the dr told me I could walk in the air boot with the heel and outside side of my foot. Although in the air boot I can't put pressure on the bottom of my foot anyway. I was careful to follow the dr's instructions because I did not want to damage anything and ultimately make the recovery longer.

Yesterday I was in a sneaker all day and this morning also. By midday my foot said "enough is enough" and I had to go back to the boot. It's amazing how your body tells you what to do and what not to do.

I'm just starting to be able to move my big toe. The dr told me to work it back and forth as much as I could and as often as I could. Not being able to move the toe really doesn't seem to interfere with walking.

Hopefully your recovery is progressing well. Please keep us informed.

Mary

Closed Thread