It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

mom2hayley HB User
Bunion Surgery - How long did it take you to ditch the crutches?

I had bunion surgery on my right foot last week Thursday. The doctor commented that the bunion wasn't too bad prior to surgery. I may not have looked too bad but that little bugger sure caused me pain! Anyways, after surgery was tough and I had a lot of pain. The doc did a chevron procedure and I have one pin that will be removed 6 weeks post op.

I have a desk job and was back to work on Monday. I realized after returning to work how much moving around I actually do. My arms are killing me from using the crutches!

Now on to my question, how long before I can ditch the crutches? The doctor talked as if I wouldn't need them long. He said I should be able to drive with the foot in two weeks. I still have swelling and am unable to put much (if any) weight on my foot yet.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
(female)

misfish90 HB User
Re: Bunion Surgery - How long did it take you to ditch the crutches?

There are so many variations to the bunionectomy that it's difficult to give standard answers. Factors include type of bunion, severity of bunion, procedure performed, age, general health, post-op instructions, post-op footwear (shoe, boot, cast, etc.), and varying doctor philosophies to name a few.

That said, I had a chevron bunionectomy 3 months ago. I dropped the crutches around the house at about week 3 and dropped them completely around week 4. But it was very slow going getting around on the gimpy foot until about week 8. However, lots of people are NWB for much longer. You really have to defer to your doctor's advice on when he/she recommends putting weight on the foot.

My doc said to walk on my heel from the beginning but I couldn't do that comfortably until day 18...which just happened to coincide with my first day back to work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

BunionLovah HB User

Wow, you got back to work so quickly after surgery! That is impressive!

I think everyone is so different in healing time. First of all, my doctor told me I could put weight on my heel immediately-- but there was no way! (Clearly my doctor has never actually HAD this surgery herself.)

I used crutches for the first week. Then the doctor gave me a surgical boot (aircast) that I could walk around in with weight on my heel. Now I am 3 weeks post-op and just getting to the point where I can take a shower with my bare heel on the shower floor without too discomfort. But I will need the aircast or a sturdy shoe for a while to walk.

What type of footwear do you have on your foot? I think you just have to do whatever you can do without pain and try to be patient.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Mom2Hayley - It really does depend on the type procedure you had done and what your dr thinks. I had a Lapidus bunionectomy done 9 weeks ago (that involved fusing the metatarsul bone in my foot) and I was on crutches for 7 weeks. Every time I went to the dr he would say 2 more weeks. I was very discouraged at my 6 week check up but from 6-8 weeks things improved greatly and finally at 8 weeks he told me to throw the crutches away. I've been in a sneaker now for almost a week and I know I'm overdoing but with the holidays I'm really trying to catch up on what hasn't been done.

So follow your dr instructions and "listen" to your body. It will tell you when you can and can't do things.

Good luck.

Mary

Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

beckyn HB User

Let me add my 2 cents worth...it depends on the procedure and your doctor's orders. Plus, everyone is different. After my surgery, I had minimal pain for two days and nothing thereafter. But, I was NWB for 8 weeks which meant crutches for the entire time. After that, when I was partial weight bearing, I used one crutch to ease my way back walking. Everyone is different and every doctor has different procedures. Listen to your doctor and your body.

Good luck and speedy healing.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

mkl HB User

After my two surgeries for REALLY bad bunions and hammertoes, I was never on crutches at all. I was surprised as all get out to be given only a cane, not to mention overjoyed. After you are finally able to ditch the crutches, you might want to consider using a cane for a while...it is a great device for keeping people out of your personal space while your feet finish healing. It helped me avoid people stepping on my feet so many times!

Marianne

Closed Thread