It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
help with walking after cast and boot

:confused i had big toe fusion surgery 12 weeks ago. i am now out of the cast and out of the rocker boot, but i cant seem to walk in a sneaker. i bought the shoes big, but i am in pain after i walk a short distance. my foot is still swollen and the pain is everywhere in my foot. my dr, said i would have pain, but to keep the shoe on so the swelling will go down. i dont know if i should stay off my feet for a while or call the dr. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks, debbie

Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

carol1225 HB User
Re: help with walking after cast and boot

Hi Debbie
I had major ankle surgery in September, 7 weeks in a cast, 10 weeks in the rocker boot and finally last Wed I gave the boot the heave hoo.... Yahooo.... It was after two weeks of attempts to get my foot in a sneaker but I managed to do so with taking the laces out last week... Wow, the sneaker felt 3x too small and I made it to PT and I ripped it off in the waiting room but I was smiling.. wearing shoes after 3 1/2 months! But it took alot of time to get to that point.
Anyhow after I got the cast off the swelling was extreme, the doc told me that I could try "compression socks" to help. So I went to the local Medical Supply Store Pharmacy and the tech there measured my leg and suggested I wear them on both feet as it would also help the fatigue my good leg was feeling from having to take the brunt of my weight all these months. I really doubted a sock could do such a thing and they were pricey at $36 for the pair but I figured at that point I would do anything.... The next day I gave it a whirl and I was surprised that my good leg didn't feel so exhausted after crutching, I was more surprised that night when I seen the swelling which normally was extensive by the evening kinda held its own. I used the socks for about 3 weeks but the downfall is they have to be hand washed in mild soap, like your bath soap and they can't be put in the dryer.
Give it a try, like me you have nothing to loose... They also sell compression socks that are open at the toes as well, kinda like a stocking that may help you more if you have sensative toes.
I wish you the best and be patient, I know its hard but you can do it Keep that foot elevated and ice it regularly even with the sock on.
Take care and let me know how you make out.
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

When I got out of the cast and the boot, it was a few weeks before I was comfortable wearing a shoe. Your right, it did feel to small. It felt like it was rubbing in all the wrong places, and just generally felt uncomfortable. I just had to get used to it. Take it easy and dont go to far at once. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

so far i am not at all used to wearing shoes. the pain is so bad. i wish there was some magic thing to bring the swelling down. how long should i expect to be in so much pain?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

At 12 weeks the fusion should be complete and you should have no pain. Have x-rays shown the fusion to be complete?

Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

the x ray showed toe fusion took place. i dont have pain in the big toe, but my foot is completely swollen. i also had a bone spur shaved from the top of my foot. the pain i have is everywhere on my foot.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

How bad is the swelling when you first get up in the morning? I know my ankle looks great in the AM but by evening I can make "dents" and I'm wearing the compression sock all the time. You have to put it on first thing in the morning before the swelling starts. I got mine at a medical supply store for $25 (a bargain compared to some I guess) and yes I have to wash them by hand every night. I go back to the dr Feb 1st and will find out when I can stop wearing them but I'm sure he'll say when the swelling stops!

I bought my first pair of "real" shoes today! After going to 3 different shoe stores I finally found one that had a pair of nice loafers that felt good and would look good for work with my dress pants. The brand is SAS and they are actually made in the USA which made me feel good. I had to have a pad put in the front of the non-surgical shoe because it was a little loose. The surgical foot felt good in the shoe. Tomorrow when I go to work will be the big test.

Good luck Debbie and let us know what your dr. has to say. Maybe because my fusion is up in the part of my foot that doesn't bend when I walk I'm not in any pain. Hope you feel better soon.

Mary

Closed Thread