It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

lpdarkchild HB User
Flat Feet

I have badly over-pronated feet. I've been wearing orthotics for about 10 years. They haven't seemed to help. I ultimately need surgery. My doctor mentioned some kind of surgery where they insert something into the side of
your ankle to help stabilize it. I would like to look into this more. Does anyone know of the surgery I'm talking about? Thanks!

Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User
Re: Flat Feet

It sounds like he is talking about the MBA implant. From what I have seen, I havent seen anyone where the implant didnt slip out a matter of months after the surgery. I am almost four months out of my second (other foot was last year) flat foot reconstructive surgery. It was an incredibly long and painful process, but I am extrememly happy with the results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My son (21 now) had the surgery when he was 14...it helped a lot. The only thing is now, in the winter, his ankles hurt. I have had him back to the foot doc and they xrayed to make sure all was well and it was. but if he's on his feet all day at work and it's cold weather, his ankles really hurt. He wishes he hadn't had the surgery....they can go back in and take out the medal, but he doesn't want to do that. After surgery, he had to wear casts on both feet, from the knee on down, and had therapy to learn to walk again. it was a major ordeal........

Old 01-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

I agree that it was major surgery, but I didnt have the surgery until I was 21, and now not only do I have severe arthritis in both feet, I have done permanent knee and hip damage as well. My feet hurt in the winter, and thats bc the metal pins get cold and retract. I guess you have to weigh the benefits vs. risks. I bet if I was your son, I would be mad that I had the surgery, only bc I never expereinced all the other problems yet, so i had nothing to compare too. Now, since I did go through all the knee, ankle, and hip problems, and now have irreversable damage to my ligaments and joints, I really wish I would have had the surgery when I was younger.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
(female)

wtwct HB User

I had the MBA Implant last September. Unfortunately, I did not walk after that. I had to have it removed. They say that it does not cause damage to your subtalar joint but, it damaged mine.

There are people that have had it placed and love it. My physical therapist said that he has not seen one yet that had to be removed.

I know I say this a lot but, I would call Dr. Mark Myersons office. They are located in Baltimore Maryland. I know that there are other things that they can do for you. The MBA Implant is old school.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
(female)

kbest5443 HB User

I have the MBA implant in both my right and left feet (along with the an Achilles tendon lengthening) and love them. I was non weight bearing for 5 weeks after each surgery, but I believe that was because of the Achilles lengthening and not the implant. I love mine. I wouldn't trade them for the world. My feet feel better and it no longer looks like my ankles are caving in. I had my first implant in Sept. 05 and the second in Nov 05. I know that they are not for everyone, but they were perfect for me! Also, the surgery was pretty inevasive and the pain wasn't that bad (except I hated being on crutches. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. I am just not sure what all you want to know.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
(female)

lpdarkchild HB User

Thanks a lot guys, this helps. I'm thinking of graduating high school early since I only need 3 more credits (I'm in the second semester of my junior year at the moment). I would graduate next January and start on my feet then. My father has ankle problems except his feet are the opposite. They roll out too much. He's 47 and is starting to get arthritis in his ankles. wtwct, you said the MBA implant is old school, what are some newer options?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
(female)

snwtygr HB User

WHAT exactly is old school about the MBA implant which was invented in 1996? - besides drs using it in poor candidates resulting in poor outcomes. If used properly the implant is miraculous for patients. Minimally invasive and reversible as opposed to a complete fusion such as the triple arthrodesis. Maybe if more podiatrists and pediatricians would recognize flat foot problems earlier in development and actually used tools such as orthotics and the MBA fewer people would be facing complete foot reconstruction and disability later in life. AND patient selection for the implant is KEY - too many podiatrists put the implant in patients inappropriately giving the implant a bad rap. If there's a happy medium somewhere between the simplicity/effectiveness of the implant and the grueling/complete reconstruction of the triple I would really love to know what that is. I know about a dozen surgeons that would be jumping at the opportunity to learn a new procedure and save their patients from complete fusion.

Closed Thread