It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Unhappy how can you wear shoes with toe fusion

my big toe is sticking up and it has been 4 months since toe fusion surgery. its up about 15 degrees so how can i ever wear shoes without my toe hitting the top and causing a major blister. i am so depressed, i dont know what to do. i know my foot is still swollen, but i never thought it would be like this. can anyone tell me what to expect?

Old 02-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: how can you wear shoes with toe fusion

You will need to wear a shoe that accomodates that angle. And since you won't be able to "roll up" on that toe, many people opt for a rocker bar on the bottom of the shoe just behind the toes. Your doc should be able to talk with you about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

can i ever wear heels again, dress shoes or fashion boots? i dont know of a nice looking shoe that has a rocker front.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, you are confined to that angle. I am very surprised your surgeon didn;t go over all this with you. Your toe is fixed in that position and will never change. THere is no way to go back from this procedure. At least kitten heels are very in at the moment....

Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

lizzy21 HB User

Hi Debbie!
Well, I have had my big toe fused and can tell you I felt much the same way as you did around the 4 month mark. I am assuming since it was fusion that you were off your feet for about 3 months and therefore have only been walking "normally" for about 1 month. For me it took until about the 7 month mark until I was comfortable in shoes. I don't have to use a "rocker bar" with any of my shoes and haven't really heard of anyone doing that... at the moment I suggest comfy shoes..sneakers, dress shoes that are low but stretchy. I just started to wear heals again that have 1 1/2 to 2 inch heals. It is a little uncomfortable, but seems to get better everyday. Hang in there girl! It will get better.

Liz

Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks liz because my dr told me i would be able to wear a low heel again. i have a black tie wedding next month and i dont know what kind of shoe to wear. i cant say how much i hate sneakers rite now. do i look for shoes that are bigger than my normal size and wear them? will i ever fit into any of my shoes again including sneakers and casual???????????

Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

My toe has been fused for nearly three years. I wear mostly flats and tennis shoes, but when I need to dress up a little more I can wear heels about 1 1/2 inches high. It took some time to get comfortable in the heels. It really took 9 to 12 months before I could jump out of bed and not think about my toe. It is hard to be patient, but it will come. -eko

Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
(female)

lizzy21 HB User

Debbie-
I hated sneakers more than anything then too! I would suggest trying on a bunch of different shoes...finding the most comfortable, but fashionable pair and then walking a little in them each day to get used to walking in a heel again. I just started to wear heels about 1 month ago and I still have a little pain after a full day in them. It just takes getting used to the angle of your toe now...I found the biggest problem to be my toe rubbing against the top of my shoes, but I am kind of used to that now.

Good luck!
Liz

Closed Thread